PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old to join the military?

bluejackets92fs
10-08-14, 09:26
So I'm kind of at a fork in the road with my life and am debating joining the military. Not set on a branch yet either.

A little back story, I'm 25 am just looking for a change of pace. I work a dead end job (enough to pay the bills but not much more). I was in college up until about 4 years ago when my job offered me a management position. Me being a broke 21 year old ran with the $35,000 a year salary and gave up on school. Now that I'm older I am regretting that decision. I don't want to go back to school now because I don't have the time. I want to get into either Law Enforcement or Fire/EMS and with how flooded those career fields are, military service may be the leg up I need. Any insight/advice is appreciated.

J-Dub
10-08-14, 09:35
So I'm kind of at a fork in the road with my life and am debating joining the military. Not set on a branch yet either.

A little back story, I'm 25 am just looking for a change of pace. I work a dead end job (enough to pay the bills but not much more). I was in college up until about 4 years ago when my job offered me a management position. Me being a broke 21 year old ran with the $35,000 a year salary and gave up on school. Now that I'm older I am regretting that decision. I don't want to go back to school now because I don't have the time. I want to get into either Law Enforcement or Fire/EMS and with how flooded those career fields are, military service may be the leg up I need. Any insight/advice is appreciated.

How about a trade? Electrician, HVAC, Plumbing, Mechanic? You can make some decent money in all of those fields. Just an idea. Personally I'd steer clear of any govt' "public service" job in this day and age. It will only give you a headache and shit for pay.

bluejackets92fs
10-08-14, 09:44
How about a trade? Electrician, HVAC, Plumbing, Mechanic? You can make some decent money in all of those fields. Just an idea. Personally I'd steer clear of any govt' "public service" job in this day and age. It will only give you a headache and shit for pay.

I was thinking about getting a CDL for the same reasons. Decent pay but just not something I would be able to do very long with out it getting old.

skydivr
10-08-14, 09:53
You are not too old by regulations. However, if for financial reasons, you are going back to the bottom of the totem pole, and you may not like that. Also, your health/physical conditioning play a factor when you are doing PT with 18 year old boys (not to mention the aggravation of having to deal with them).

Having said all that, if that's something you REALLY want to do, the Armed Forces are a great way to 'better the lot you drew in life', and I'd never tell anyone it wasn't an great and honorable thing to do. How about joining the ARNG/Reserve? Keep your job, gain a second one, and get GI bill bennies to help go back to school - and the contacts you make might help you out of that 'dead end' you speak of...

IF things go like currently planned (and that's a BIG IF), the Military is in the middle of a huge squeeze to drawdown. What that means is opportunities for Mid-Career Officers and NCO's is going to be rough. They will aways need Privates, but to get promoted you kinda have to 'time' it right.

Best of luck.

Mauser KAR98K
10-08-14, 09:55
I was thinking about getting a CDL for the same reasons. Decent pay but just not something I would be able to do very long with out it getting old.

If you get with a good company that lets you run out West, it won't get that old. Last company I was with (and tried to screw me out of a performance bonus) kept me in the Northeast forever and I was pissed. Most of my time was stuck in traffic.

I'm in talks with a National Guard recruiter at the moment, hoping for an OCS slot. But that is going to be depended on if I can get in with my asthma and previous eye injury that got me booted from the Navy basic back in 2002. I'm 31.

GTF425
10-08-14, 10:01
Send me a PM with any of your concerns. I just turned 24 a few weeks back and have been serving for just at six and a half years. I definitely matured in the Army and am grateful for everything I've had the opportunity to do so far.

It's not really age that matters. Your maturity level is going to matter a LOT coming in at 25 because your leadership will expect different behavior from you than some 18 year old fresh off his mom's tit. So long as you have a sense of work ethic and can handle working in a team environment, then don't have any worries about enlisting.

One of my best friend's at a previous duty station came in when he was (I believe) 34. He excelled and served as a great NCO before getting out.

bluejackets92fs
10-08-14, 10:05
You are not too old by regulations. However, if for financial reasons, you are going back to the bottom of the totem pole, and you may not like that. Also, your health/physical conditioning play a factor when you are doing PT with 18 year old boys (not to mention the aggravation of having to deal with them).

Having said all that, if that's something you REALLY want to do, the Armed Forces are a great way to 'better the lot you drew in life', and I'd never tell anyone it wasn't an great and honorable thing to do. How about joining the ARNG/Reserve? Keep your job, gain a second one, and get GI bill bennies to help go back to school - and the contacts you make might help you out of that 'dead end' you speak of...

IF things go like currently planned (and that's a BIG IF), the Military is in the middle of a huge squeeze to drawdown. What that means is opportunities for Mid-Career Officers and NCO's is going to be rough. They will aways need Privates, but to get promoted you kinda have to 'time' it right.

Best of luck.

Reserves are a good thought and more than likely I would do that so I could keep a somewhat "back to normal" life after basic.

If you get with a good company that lets you run out West, it won't get that old. Last company I was with (and tried to screw me out of a performance bonus) kept me in the Northeast forever and I was pissed. Most of my time was stuck in traffic.

I'm in talks with a National Guard recruiter at the moment, hoping for an OCS slot. But that is going to be depended on if I can get in with my asthma and previous eye injury that got me booted from the Navy basic back in 2002. I'm 31.

I'd love to be able to travel all over the states but getting stuck in traffic in a semi truck would probably be the most frustrating thing ever. Traffic jams with a manual transmission is awful.

bluejackets92fs
10-08-14, 10:09
Send me a PM with any of your concerns. I just turned 24 a few weeks back and have been serving for just at six and a half years. I definitely matured in the Army and am grateful for everything I've had the opportunity to do so far.

It's not really age that matters. Your maturity level is going to matter a LOT coming in at 25 because your leadership will expect different behavior from you than some 18 year old fresh off his mom's tit. So long as you have a sense of work ethic and can handle working in a team environment, then don't have any worries about enlisting.

One of my best friend's at a previous duty station came in when he was (I believe) 34. He excelled and served as a great NCO before getting out.

I don't really have any concerns other than the fact that I would be getting screamed at for 6-13 weeks depending on the branch I join. I think mentally I would be fine but physically performing with 18 year olds would be a challenge.

Eurodriver
10-08-14, 10:22
I joined at 18. It is the "traditional" route, no doubt. It makes life a bit easier when you are being treated like a child (and it is not limited to just boot camp) and you aren't even old enough to drink. The military is all you know outside of your parents house, so the transition is a bit easier.

However, I saw many recruits that were 25+ excel in both boot camp and their careers. They take it more seriously, they bring something other than instant obedience to orders to the table, and they are able to see the big picture....assuming they are willing to accept the orders of a 22 year old 2ndLt or a 24 year old Staff Sergeant or even a 19 year old Lance Corporal.

For the most part, unless you're a fat body, the older guys did much better PT wise than 18 year olds. You have more muscle mass and a stronger will.

There are always exceptions, but these are my observations. You're not too old at all. Not even close.

Crow Hunter
10-08-14, 10:49
My first cousin joined at 34 eight or so years ago (IIRC) and is now a Captain in the 10th Mtn. He made it through Ranger school on his 2nd try. He has had several tours to both Iraq and Asscrackistan and he loves it.

It can be done if you are willing to do it.

He never comes home anymore. Any leave he gets he jumps on a transport and goes to some other place he has never been to.

Averageman
10-08-14, 10:52
25 is definatly not too old. What you lack in youth you will make up in maturity.
The money is going to suck for a couple of years, but you can if willing and able move quickly up the ranks. The current reduction in force might actually work for you going in now. These things run in cycles and you might just be at the right place at the right time.
I did 21 years, all of it in combat arms, I made rank fast and a lot of great experiances. If I would or could change anything I would have gone Warrant when I had the chance.
Look at it this way, you're 25, you can have a great career and retire at 50 with a nice retirement, but only if you remain highly motivated and do the right thing.

Don Robison
10-08-14, 10:58
I joined at 18. It is the "traditional" route, no doubt. It makes life a bit easier when you are being treated like a child (and it is not limited to just boot camp) and you aren't even old enough to drink. The military is all you know outside of your parents house, so the transition is a bit easier.

However, I saw many recruits that were 25+ excel in both boot camp and their careers. They take it more seriously, they bring something other than instant obedience to orders to the table, and they are able to see the big picture....assuming they are willing to accept the orders of a 22 year old 2ndLt or a 24 year old Staff Sergeant or even a 19 year old Lance Corporal.

For the most part, unless you're a fat body, the older guys did much better PT wise than 18 year olds. You have more muscle mass and a stronger will.

There are always exceptions, but these are my observations. You're not too old at all. Not even close.

That has been my experience also. The "older guys" nearly always excelled. A good friend of mine married with two kids and a great job running the family business got an age waiver two years ago at 28 to become a CCT and has excelled in every phase of training. He was a PT monster before he started his journey and the pipeline only made him better, faster, stronger as well as a better person.

MistWolf
10-08-14, 11:02
Don't just join the military- Pick a career. Since the military is going to pay for your training, get them to train you in a "cool" job- something that you can use to make some money in when you get out. Weapons Puke for an F-16? Limited opportunities in the civilian world. Avionics/Structures/Engines/Crew Chief in the aviation world? There are lots of aviation jobs out there and if you get hooked up with the right contract, there is money to be made. (Although I strongly push anyone going into the aviation field to go to college and become an engineer)

The military has some good, high tech career fields that require training in electronics, computers, satellite communications, intelligence and others that will be in high demand on the outside

Mauser KAR98K
10-08-14, 11:02
Reserves are a good thought and more than likely I would do that so I could keep a somewhat "back to normal" life after basic.

I'd love to be able to travel all over the states but getting stuck in traffic in a semi truck would probably be the most frustrating thing ever. Traffic jams with a manual transmission is awful.

It's not too bad. It's making right hand turns in narrow small towns the is the real PITA!

Things I have learned from driving a semi for two years prior to college:

Yankees are actually rude, not a myth.
Northeast sucks, even when not in an 18-wheeler.
I couldn't parallel park a car for the life of me, but after six-months, I could do it with a semi.
I go better backwards than I do going forwards.
The world is generally nice (back from 2007 to 2009, at least).
Shut down before 8 P.M. local time, or just drive at night.
The U.S. is ****ing awesome.

Caduceus
10-08-14, 11:19
Ditto the above. However I wouldn't look at the military for LEO or Fire experience. Too much chance of working a gate or at a station that gets two runs a month. Better would be to start volunteering, or join the PD reserves or private ambulance.

As for "not enough time" for college... I highly doubt it. I have sailors getting master degrees at 25 while raising families. It's about time management and how bad you want it.

skydivr
10-08-14, 11:20
Don't just join the military- Pick a career. Since the military is going to pay for your training, get them to train you in a "cool" job- something that you can use to make some money in when you get out. Weapons Puke for an F-16? Limited opportunities in the civilian world. Avionics/Structures/Engines/Crew Chief in the aviation world? There are lots of aviation jobs out there and if you get hooked up with the right contract, there is money to be made. (Although I strongly push anyone going into the aviation field to go to college and become an engineer)

The military has some good, high tech career fields that require training in electronics, computers, satellite communications, intelligence and others that will be in high demand on the outside

Target, Cease Fire. Find a specialty that has a GOOD civilian application for AfterArmy....so you don't get stuck in a 'rut' again.

Onyx Z
10-08-14, 11:34
Trade school.

I have a buddy that is a helicopter mechanic and he works 14 on, 14 off. Literally works half the year.

TehLlama
10-08-14, 11:45
Anything under 30 the military is a fine choice, BUT unless it's a field with a really painfully obvious transition to civilian side, then it's going to feel like another waste of time OR something that would leave you wondering why you chose to do that with your life much later on.

You do have time for college - and to be quite frank as much as my time in the military was outstanding and I spend nearly 3.5 years of it at really high value schooling, the carryover to the real world is still laughably minimal. Needless to say, trade school is actually pretty fantastic - if I didn't have my bachelors wrapped up (was able to CLEP a solid two years worth of stuff, use a CC to knock out the rest of the added general Ed requirements, and basically took ONLY major required courses where I was learning stuff on GI Bill to get the degree) then all that schooling would be an absolute waste - so Intelligence and Aviation (the two most valuable job skills that don't require a degree prior to signing up) are the best options but the real benefit is from having a bachelor's shortly thereafter anyway.
The reason I bring this up, is that if you aren't having a reasonable time finding time for education now, then you'll really suffer to find that time when you're in the military - which means you'll be backloading any education on later (or basically wasting the singular most useful benefit from the military after having a DD214 which states you can make a promise and follow up on it).

Ouroborous
10-08-14, 12:25
I started a Fire Service career at 29 with no military background. Military experience helps, but it doesn't necessarily translate into EMS/Fire. For instance, if you were a Navy Coprsman, all the experience you gain will help you in an EMS career as far as taking charge of the scene and rendering patient care, but you'll have to start over from scratch on the civilian side with licenses and certifications. It would take several years on the civilian side to get back up to the same scope of practice you had as a Corpsman which roughly translates into civilian Paramedic. Keep in mind, Military service is not a pre-requisite for Fire/LE careers.

If you're interested in Fire/EMS I suggest getting your EMT, working on a private ambulance and going through a College based Fire academy. Your local departments most likely have a Volunteer program where you can get valuable experience and additional training now. Down the road, going Paramedic will give you an edge when applying for a job and will cut down on the competition dramatically.

My .02˘

chuckman
10-08-14, 12:46
I was older when I joined. It wasn't bad. Look at the NG/res route and take the middle ground. Figure what your objective or end-goal is, then reverse engineer to figure out how to get there.

bluejackets92fs
10-08-14, 13:44
I started a Fire Service career at 29 with no military background. Military experience helps, but it doesn't necessarily translate into EMS/Fire. For instance, if you were a Navy Coprsman, all the experience you gain will help you in an EMS career as far as taking charge of the scene and rendering patient care, but you'll have to start over from scratch on the civilian side with licenses and certifications. It would take several years on the civilian side to get back up to the same scope of practice you had as a Corpsman which roughly translates into civilian Paramedic. Keep in mind, Military service is not a pre-requisite for Fire/LE careers.

If you're interested in Fire/EMS I suggest getting your EMT, working on a private ambulance and going through a College based Fire academy. Your local departments most likely have a Volunteer program where you can get valuable experience and additional training now. Down the road, going Paramedic will give you an edge when applying for a job and will cut down on the competition dramatically.

My .02˘

I hear what you're saying but what I meant by leg up is this. I took the Civil Service Exam for Cincinnati and scored a 91% but since I didn't have any points boosters like military service, prior employment with a dept, they had a line of duty death booster or the ethnicity boosters, I didn't even get considered. What I mean by military service boosting my chances isn't form a skills learned standpoint, it's from a "looks good on paper" stand point.

Mauser KAR98K
10-08-14, 13:56
I hear what you're saying but what I meant by leg up is this. I took the Civil Service Exam for Cincinnati and scored a 91% but since I didn't have any points boosters like military service, prior employment with a dept, they had a line of duty death booster or the ethnicity boosters, I didn't even get considered. What I mean by military service boosting my chances isn't form a skills learned standpoint, it's from a "looks good on paper" stand point.

This. I'm running into the same problem trying to get on with the national park service. I'm eligible but not referred due veteran's preference, which I do not have, or the answers on my self-evaluation questions (makes me wonder how many applicants are lying through their teeth).

chuckman
10-08-14, 13:59
This. I'm running into the same problem trying to get on with the national park service. I'm eligible but not referred due veteran's preference, which I do not have, or the answers on my self-evaluation questions (makes me wonder how many applicants are lying through their teeth).

I get that, but see how well it works out for those lying about mil experience when they ask for the dd214.

bluejackets92fs
10-08-14, 14:05

I doubt many lie and get away with it. There is too much background info that I can't see their lies going far. I know when I got a call about my brother's application with a PD, there were some questions they had about things that were pretty in depth that I don't think a lie would get far in their digging.

ETA- You can fluff a resume pretty easily but it is pretty hard to fluff your own personal information and be able to prove it.

Ouroborous
10-08-14, 15:35

Applying for any job without prior experience these days is like playing the lotto--a few people get lucky but most end up getting disheartened and give up after a few tries. In my experience, this is especially true in the Public Service sector.

The best way around the problem of needing experience to get experience is to Volunteer/Intern. When I volunteered with the Sheriff's Office, people were there getting experience that landed them jobs in Law Enforcement and the Park Service.

Likewise, when I needed experience in the Fire Service, I Volunteered and busted my ass to make a name for myself.

I'd wager that the majority of people who went on in the hiring process for Cincinnati were those who had established themselves already by getting involved with the city's department–ride alongs, volunteering, participating in community functions etc.

In the fire service, there's a lot to be said for making a good name for yourself by Volunteering, working hard and staying teachable.

Chiefs talk to each other all the time and people get hired when Chief from Dept. A recommends you to the Chief of Dept. B.

My .02˘

bluejackets92fs
10-08-14, 15:59
Applying for any job without prior experience these days is like playing the lotto--a few people get lucky but most end up getting disheartened and give up after a few tries. In my experience, this is especially true in the Public Service sector.

The best way around the problem of needing experience to get experience is to Volunteer/Intern. When I volunteered with the Sheriff's Office, people were there getting experience that landed them jobs in Law Enforcement and the Park Service.

Likewise, when I needed experience in the Fire Service, I Volunteered and busted my ass to make a name for myself.

I'd wager that the majority of people who went on in the hiring process for Cincinnati were those who had established themselves already by getting involved with the city's department–ride alongs, volunteering, participating in community functions etc.

In the fire service, there's a lot to be said for making a good name for yourself by Volunteering, working hard and staying teachable.

Chiefs talk to each other all the time and people get hired when Chief from Dept. A recommends you to the Chief of Dept. B.

My .02˘

I have explored the volunteer route. I interviewed with a small town dept last year and was told that basically I needed to be EMT certified to be considered. After a year as an EMT they would pay for your fire certifications and you were required to sign a 2 year contract or else you owed for your training. All of which is reasonable but I just lost the desire and kept focusing on work then the city opportunity came up and I got discouraged after that.

Ouroborous
10-08-14, 16:11
I have explored the volunteer route. I interviewed with a small town dept last year and was told that basically I needed to be EMT certified to be considered. After a year as an EMT they would pay for your fire certifications and you were required to sign a 2 year contract or else you owed for your training. All of which is reasonable but I just lost the desire and kept focusing on work then the city opportunity came up and I got discouraged after that.

That's great that you looked into it already. By having your EMT, you can jump in immediately and help on calls since 80% of what we do is medical aids.

It's a craft that involves years of tutelage to get good at and what they're offering is essentially an apprenticeship which is huge.

Stop by the station with some ice cream and chat the captain up about whether military experience would be helpful or not.

Or you can just start now and be 4 years ahead of this old dude when I started:)

Blinking Dog
10-08-14, 16:49
Are you a self-starter? Do you want to have someone else call the shots, or do you want to be in charge one day? I ask because I'm in the corporate world, and I've worked for large companies all my life. I busted my hump and am successful by all objective measures, but looking back now that I'm in my early 40s I would like to have tried to start my own business early in my career. If I had put in the same time and effort I did for others, I think I could have a really good business going by now. And I would be my own boss, with more freedom. I have friends who did that, including some without college degrees, and they are successful and have a degree of freedom that I envy. Now that I'm older, have a wife and kids, I've got a machine to feed so branching out on my own feels daunting. But at your age, and I think you said un-married, it's the ideal time.

Some of the wealthiest people I personally know run what one would probably consider mundane, boring sounding jobs...skylights, door manufacturing, drilling/excavating...that kind of thing. There are some really wealthy landscapers out there. And owners of plumbing and electrical companies around here make lots of dough.

My advice, figure out where you want to be in ten years...20 years, then work backwards. Figure out your personality, and what kind of job fits you. Don't try to round peg square hole it. Work to your strengths. Then get ready to apply yourself, hard, for at least 5 years to get a sold base laid down. Be prepared to work your ass off for ten years regardless of the vocation. No easy wins, at least as far as I can tell.

Public service is good, too. I've known some firefighters who started in early 20s, worked 20 years, and now ready to retire with great benefits and start a new career.