PDA

View Full Version : Brief Sig P238 review

chomama1
10-08-14, 10:27
I bought a Sig P238 and it is a nice pistol, seems reliable and very concealable. Actually, I started carrying the P238 in one of those pouches that looks kind of like a cell phone carrier, on my belt. The problem is that often I find that the magazine has ejected itself inside the pouch. Not sure how that is happening, probably getting in and out of the car or bumping up against things. I don't know whether to blame this on the pistol or the pouch.

I do like the little P238 and it did not eject the mag when I carried it in my pants pocket. Problem is, it took me sometimes 30 seconds to get the thing out of my pocket and ready to fire. I want it cocked and locked, so a little goosey about carrying it in my pocket anyway.

I'm 67 years old and the most dangerous place I go to is WalMart, so it's not like I'm kicking doors at meth labs. The P238 is OK with me, even with this mag ejection issue, still looking for some other way to carry it.

jck397
10-08-14, 11:58
Is the pouch one of the ones designed specifically to carry a firearm? If not, I would get something that is. My starting place for carry is always a belt holster, and if that's not feasible I move down the list of options from there.

When I carried a P229 in a Kramer OWB holster there were several occasions where I bumped the mag release and found that my mag wasn't seated, so SIGs might be a little more susceptible to this than other weapons. If it's happening "often," then I'd write off the pouch as a no-go--you don't want to turn your end of the gunfight into a single-shot duel.

chomama1
10-08-14, 15:15
Yes, the pouch is designed to carry small pistols, I do not recall the name of it. I would prefer to carry in a holster on my belt, but there are issues with concealing it in the summer. My second option, other than the pouch, is to carry the pistol in a IWB holster in the small of my back. There are some comfort issues with that arrangement, plus the gun would be somewhat exposed to sweat in the summer. There doesn't seem to be an ideal way for me to carry. I just have to do the best I can.

kmr54
10-08-14, 18:26
Yes, the pouch is designed to carry small pistols, I do not recall the name of it. I would prefer to carry in a holster on my belt, but there are issues with concealing it in the summer. My second option, other than the pouch, is to carry the pistol in a IWB holster in the small of my back. There are some comfort issues with that arrangement, plus the gun would be somewhat exposed to sweat in the summer. There doesn't seem to be an ideal way for me to carry. I just have to do the best I can.

Take a look at N82 tactical holsters. Very comfortable

chomama1
10-08-14, 21:47
Thanks KMR, I'll check it out.