PDA

View Full Version : Gift for new Marine

lurpygeek
10-08-14, 20:38
My nephew will finish Marine Corps Recruit Training soon and I was thinking about getting him a graduation present.

Not sure what would be good. Wondering about a rugged watch or something he can use later.

Any suggestions for a watch or other gift idea?

Ak44
10-08-14, 21:14
My nephew will finish Marine Corps Recruit Training soon and I was thinking about getting him a graduation present.

Not sure what would be good. Wondering about a rugged watch or something he can use later.

Any suggestions for a watch or other gift idea?

Here is my revised post. Good things to get as a gift:

~Socks and good boot insoles
~Gift certificate to airlines (for when gets leave approved for the holidays he can fly home)
~A Leatherman Multi tool
~Watch

*Don't buy him a gun (chances are he won't be able to keep it anywhere and if he can keep it in the armory its a pain in the ass to get it approved and to take it out to shoot)
*Don't buy him an expensive folding knife or fixed blade knife (it'll get stolen or lost while at SOI or getting to his new unit)

Jaysop
10-08-14, 21:16
Id say a Nice Gshock but chances are hes going to be told to buy one before graduation anyway.

But then again its nice to have a few watches.
Maybe a nice pocket knife.

ClearedHot
10-09-14, 03:57
Get him something that he can use every day, whether deployed or at home. A good flashlight (Surefire E-series), or a nice folding blade such as an Emerson will certainly be something he'll appreciate. Maybe get the gift engraved if you want to add a nice personal touch. Plus having his name etched on something valuable will probably be a good idea once he gets to his unit and deploys...

chuckman
10-09-14, 06:15
A shot of penicillin. Or a Leatherman.

Eurodriver
10-09-14, 06:52
Depending on his personality I'd put him up in a nice hotel on boot leave and tell him to have a good time. That's what I did...and it was a good time.

Of course, maybe he's the type that would like to go out hunting in the woods with you and his father.

I valued free time, family time, and having "a good time" much more than any tangible gifts people gave to me. He'll already have a watch, a leatherman is a good idea but he'll miss out on the thrill of buying one at Camp Pendleton's MCX with his buddies if you give him one, and anything else is pretty much useless for him to have.

After boot leave he might not be home again until pre-deployment leave. I'd write him a letter and ask what he wants to do/where he wants to go and try to set that up.

caelumatra
10-09-14, 10:09
A pair of Danners
http://www.danner.com/product/military/usmc-rat-hot.html
or
http://www.danner.com/product/military/usmc-rat-temperate.html

Shit these got expensive! They were only $200 when I got my first pair in 04. But they are incredibly comfortable compared to the issue boots.

TehLlama
10-09-14, 10:33
Two homecooked meals a day on boot leave, a bank account with a non-shitty financial institution (to change direct deposit to), maybe a solid GShock watch and a pair of Danners.
Anything else is likely inefficient - it'll be appreciated, but that's the extent of how some of the stuff will get used.

Anything else, he'll let you know what he wants - at present there's plenty of time for him to think about what he wants to do on leave, needless to say he'll let you know.

Averageman
10-09-14, 10:41
A digital camera.
Leatherman Wave.
A Nook.
A basic 401K along with a good local bank he can put his Sure pay in.
A really basic lap top so he can stay in touch with his family.

Eurodriver
10-09-14, 10:57
A digital camera.
Leatherman Wave.
A Nook.
A basic 401K along with a good local bank he can put his Sure pay in.
A really basic lap top so he can stay in touch with his family.

I'm sure the PFCs in his SOI platoon will enjoy selling those items at pawn shops on Oceanside.

brickboy240
10-09-14, 10:59
When my nephew got out of basic....we bought him a G-Shock watch before he deployed.

He still has it.

I think that is a great gift.

-brickboy240

dwhitehorne
10-09-14, 17:04
My Mom got me a dress watch with Semper Fi 1987 etched on the back plate to wear with my Alphas at graduation. Still have it in the dresser drawer. David

Blinking Dog
10-09-14, 17:10
Hooker, really nice hooker.

Ok, seriously, I was given a really nice watch when I graduated basic training. I was given another when I became an officer, and I still wear it today 20 years later. I can attest that that is a good gift.

The practical gift is a good pair of boots.

I also like the "memory" idea. Depending on what he likes to do, a fishing or hunting trip, or a guy's get-away to play golf or go to Vegas. Or whatever. Even just out at a cabin sitting by a fire swapping BS stories over charred meat and a cold beer.

SteyrAUG
10-09-14, 17:55
An Omega would probably be "Marine proof" although a G shock would probably be more practical, not to mention affordable.

Ak44
10-10-14, 02:22
I'm sure the PFCs in his SOI platoon will enjoy selling those items at pawn shops on Oceanside.

HAHAHA so so true. It's alright though...no matter how much advice I've given to young Devil Pups, they never listen.

A good gift would be giving him a good stern lecture and talk about not getting married or getting a stupid moto tat within his first enlistment.