PDA

View Full Version : Are things really that bad or are we just more aware than before?

Doc Safari
10-09-14, 14:30
Ebola.
ISIS coming across the Southern Border.
Russia and NATO facing off.
China overtaking the US as the world's biggest economy.
The U.S. still apparently in some kind of recession, with some people predicting more bubbles to burst.
Disastrous weather systems dropping huge floods on the Southwestern U.S.
Enterovirus killing kids across the Midwest.

Is it all really starting to close in on us?

Or are we just more aware in the modern era due to the internet and things have always been this bad?

Is the current administration to blame, or have we just forgotten that we were having these same fears during the last administration?

JBecker 72
10-09-14, 14:35
Ever seen V for Vendetta? They bombard the population with horrible news stories about crime, disease, economic collapse, water shortages, etc. so the people remember why they need government.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

TAZ
10-09-14, 14:59
Most likely a combination of readily available information (opinions for the most part) via the Internet, CNN, Fox.....; sensationalism to sell more copy and add space; focus on bad things to sell more copy and add space and propaganda/distraction.

I seriously doubt that the average reality TV watching FSA member is more aware of important stuff than say the ole buck tooth hillbilly during the Great Depression.

Straight Shooter
10-09-14, 15:07
Doc-
YES, is the answer. YES..things really, truly are that bad. And YES, we are more aware, because things really truly are THAT bad. And even tho they do...there is no need at all for the "media" to sensationalize any aspect of the dangers and problems we as a nation, and world face. We are living in an eighties sci-fi movie right freakin now.

Crow Hunter
10-09-14, 15:19
It isn't as bad as some people think. It is worse than others think.

But it isn't any worse than it has been in the past. You should read the opening to Mel Tappan's Survival Guns. It WAS going to be TEOTWAWKI. He laid it all out.

We are all still here, most of us richer than we were then, more well armed and with better TV shows to watch (:D) and some people are still afraid that it is going to be TEOTWAWKI in just a few *blank*.

There is no harm in being prepared, but there is on not living and enjoying what time you have now for fear of what may come.

Because tomorrow might not be here, but it is much more likely to come via cancer or heart attack or car wreck or something like that than dying of Ebola or the US becoming a 3rd world country or the total collapse of the world economy and a Mad Max/Road/Fallout/Book of Eli type scenario.

jpmuscle
10-09-14, 15:40
Ever seen V for Vendetta? They bombard the population with horrible news stories about crime, disease, economic collapse, water shortages, etc. so the people remember why they need government.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
Seems to be just the opposite in my opinion lol, regarding people needing "them".

SomeOtherGuy
10-09-14, 15:51
Things are bad, but there's also outrageous "news" media slant to keep people constantly scared and pushed into doing things that rich and powerful people want them to do, but aren't in their own interests.

Economically, our main issues are stupid trade treaties (Ross Perot was right on NAFTA, and the WTO is worse yet), a fiat currency reaching its normal end of life, and genuinely diminishing supplies of oil, coal, and other important natural resources. Yeah, people like to claim we aren't using what we have, but as just one example, the best coal mined today in the US (or almost anywhere else) was considered worthless junk a century ago. Nearly all the really good coal (anthracite) has been mined and burned. The oil situation should be obvious too, unless you fall into the half-truths regarding the Bakken shale (it is a welcome temporary resource, but it won't last more than 5 years at current production rates, and only 10-15 as economically significant).

Nature always has the last laugh. California's drought may or may not be climate change - it may be just reversion to the normal for many centuries before white settlement. But whatever the cause, California and many other parts of the west are looking at a permanent water shortage that probably is not fixable. Just one example.

On the flip side, a lot of supposed political issues are just stupid. ISIS is no threat to the US. Terrorism in general isn't much threat to us. Even including 9/11, your risk of dying from a terrorist attack is incredibly tiny compared to all other risks to your life.

Countries, as political entities, have lifespans just like people do, and the USA is running towards the end of its expected lifespan. That doesn't mean we're all going to die, but it does mean the country is going to change radically, probably in our lifetimes, and however it comes about (even if peaceful, as with the USSR's fall) a lot of people are likely to die as a result (as did with the USSR's fall).

Blinking Dog
10-09-14, 16:29
Because tomorrow might not be here, but it is much more likely to come via cancer or heart attack or car wreck or something like that than dying of Ebola or the US becoming a 3rd world country or the total collapse of the world economy and a Mad Max/Road/Fallout/Book of Eli type scenario.

It's fun to sensationalize on message boards guessing as to what will happen with Ebola, ISIS, et. al., but as you note it's something more mundane that is likely to kill us. We need to be more defensive drivers. We all need to eat better, and exercise more I'm sure. Those are probably our biggest threats individually and collectively.

Nonetheless, the idea of a marauding terrorist organization swooping up cash from banks, materiel left in Iraq and other places by us and other armies, taking over swaths of the middle east all while beheading people publicly certainly does get one's attention.

SteyrAUG
10-09-14, 17:32
I'm going to go with "a little of both" and with one factor making the other worse.

Caeser25
10-09-14, 19:11
I just turned 31. I wondered if the world was always like this or the crazy train really is picking up speed.

SteyrAUG
10-10-14, 01:05
I just turned 31. I wondered if the world was always like this or the crazy train really is picking up speed.

It's been better and worse. I still don't think today is as screwed up as 1969 with the SLA shootout with the LAPD, the formation of the Weather Underground, the subversive elements of the civil rights movement and the hippie culture and cult of the Manson murders.

While society as a whole might have been nicer in the 1930s, the government was implementing an actual program of eugenics where those deemed "indigent" could be forcibly sterilized by the government despite having committed no actual crimes. Germany modeled their "eugenics" program on the one pioneered in the UK and implemented in the US. The whole depression and "public enemy number one" gangsters probably was worse than many of the problems we face today.

Quality of life in the US is a bit like stock market prices, sometimes it's way up and it seems everyone is winning and sometimes it's way down and it seems like we exist to satisfy our overlords. Sadly we seem to have very little control over the direction we'd like to send it and a huge population of "gimme free shit" morons support everything our overlords suggest would benefit them directly now without drawing attention to the consequences.

Nobody seems to understand that EVERYONE pays for free shit, and that includes those who receive the free shit. They pay in loss of jobs available, loss of money that could instead be used to improve their community and create employment opportunities. And they pay in loss of freedoms and the ability to meaningfully direct the future of their children in ways they deem productive. And of course they will never be told and even if they discover the cost at that point they are "locked in" and it's harder to break out of a welfare cycle than it is to break out of jail. Your entire existence has become dependent upon it and you will actually be penalized for productivity, responsibility and initiative.

glocktogo
10-10-14, 02:10
Well it's not like we're in a Great Depression and living hand to mouth. It's also not like we're at war with a belligerent nation that has an equal or greater military capacity, with no certainty that we'll prevail.

However, I'm not sure we've ever seen such political apathy or fragmentation of our society. With the globalization of our economy and wealth, we seem to be even more susceptible to pandemic or economic collapse. It's amazing how a seemingly small confluence of events can begin a cascade effect.

I'd say that while we're actually better off than we've been in the past, that seems to fill us with fear and foreboding at the same time. I'm not sure what to make of that yet. :(

SteyrAUG
10-10-14, 04:23
Well it's not like we're in a Great Depression and living hand to mouth. It's also not like we're at war with a belligerent nation that has an equal or greater military capacity, with no certainty that we'll prevail.

However, I'm not sure we've ever seen such political apathy or fragmentation of our society. With the globalization of our economy and wealth, we seem to be even more susceptible to pandemic or economic collapse. It's amazing how a seemingly small confluence of events can begin a cascade effect.

I'd say that while we're actually better off than we've been in the past, that seems to fill us with fear and foreboding at the same time. I'm not sure what to make of that yet. :(

Polarized politics had a lot to do with it. While we were no fan of Carter or Clinton and those on the left thought little of Ford and Reagan the perception of a "stolen election" during the Bush / Gore contest really set the stage for the creation of "us" and "them" camps. Both parties seemingly radicalized with an agenda to punish, rather than represent, the "other" Americans. And it has gotten progressively worse ever since.

Except of course with the actual leadership who engages in political theater for the masses while coordinating for "their" benefit behind the scenes.

platoonDaddy
10-10-14, 05:38
Keep ur power dry, it will be coming to a city near you: Ferguson / Saint Louis Protestors Burn The USA Flag – “this is not our flag” – Occupy “Ferguson October” Begins Today…

austinN4
10-10-14, 05:53
Some of you guys should have been here in the 1960's & 70's, LOL. Many (maybe even most) of this forum's membership weren't even born yet. Assinations, serious widespread civil unrest and Viet Nam. What a party! I truely believed then that I would not live past 30 and I am still here 40 years later, an old fat cat.

Just remember, however bad it is at any given point in time, it can always get worse. But truly long term things almost always get better overall. Would you rather be alive during the Dark Ages?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_the_United_States

Honu
10-10-14, 05:56
why I think things are worse in many ways

taxes for business and personal are more than they were and less to show for it business are way tougher than they were even 30 years ago
the gov and its corruption is way out of control and things like check point stops and stuff is crossing the line
like my being a kid post you can just go fishing anymore with out all kinds of lic and registrations and stuff
I used to be able to bring my gun to HS !!!!!
these days everything is PC policed to the point of insanity

when the ft hood shooting is workplace violence I think that is all we need to know where things are going with the PC ! and why your rights are under attack to get guns away from you

its not about weather or anything like that its about our freedoms

I used to tease my wife (Canadian) about her funny money not being worth as much and the health care and other things now things are flopped around basically and Canada has not risen !!!! its the US has fallen

The_War_Wagon
10-10-14, 06:50
Or are we just more aware in the modern era due to the internet and things have always been this bad?

We're more aware, AND things are worse. :fie:

NOW you know why ignorance is BLISS...

Crow Hunter
10-10-14, 07:38
Some of you guys should have been here in the 1960's, LOL. Many (maybe even most) of this forum's membership weren't even born yet. Assinations, serious widespread civil unrest and Viet Nam. What a party! I truely believed then that I would not live past 30 and I am still here 40 years later, an old fat cat.

Just remember, however bad it is at any given point in time, it can always get worse. Nut truly long term things almost always get better overall. Would you rather be alive during the Dark Ages?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_the_United_States

While I was not, I am a good enough student of history and a good enough listener to know about it.

I talked to both of my parents about "the good ole days".

They weren't all that good.

Yes, you could leave your doors unlocked - Because no one had anything worth stealing

No, there weren't people living off the government - Because they just starved to death or sold their children/gave them up

Yes, people were in better shape - Because people only ate meat on Sundays, the rest of the time they had milk and cornbread or nothing

Yes, there was less unemployment - Because people were doing menial low paying jobs like picking/chopping cotton and doing piece work at the local "pajama factory" and share cropping

Yes there were fewer people on drugs - Because the drugs weren't around, instead people got drunk and beat their wives/kids (my Grandfather) and nothing was done about it

There wasn't as much bad stuff in the news - Most people didn't have a TV to even know if the news was even reporting it and if they did it might pick up one station or maybe 2 if you lived on a hill

Combine all this with nearly subsistence farming, no indoor plumbing, no air conditioning and a lack of educational opportunities and it really used to SUCK way more in the Southern US than it does now. If my Father had been born even the same time I was, he would probably have been either a nationally recognized artist/car designer or he would have been a mechanical engineer like me. My Father was nearly a genius in math and he could draw/carve anything without ever having any training. I am only a faint echo of his talents.

I would much rather live with the crap that I hear/see and experience now than to live the way my parents and grandparents did.

Heck, I was born in 1973 and I can vaguely remember some of the crap that was going on then. I also remember going to school with patches on my pants, not because it was cool, but because I was the 3rd person to wear those pants being handed down to me from 2 older cousins. We didn't go on an actual vacation (Great Smokey Mtns) until 1981 and that was only 4 days and we stayed in a Family Inn. I also remember getting a large portion of my toys 2nd hand from yard sales and hand me downs and my parents BOTH had excellent union jobs working for South Central Bell/Bellsouth/AT&T and both retired from there. I don't see or know of any of the children in my life that have to do this today.

Unfortunately people always remember the good times from the past and only worry about the bad times that might occur in the future without realizing how good they have it right now.

markm
10-10-14, 08:27
We need to figger a way to KEEP HUSSEIN in power permanently. It's our only hope.

ralph
10-10-14, 09:23
We need to figger a way to KEEP HUSSEIN in power permanently. It's our only hope.

Don't worry..I'm sure him, and his staff are hard at work trying to "figger" out a way as well....

markm
10-10-14, 09:48
If they could just get rid of that racist Constitution.

Caeser25
10-10-14, 11:00
If they could just get rid of that racist Constitution.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/09/leading-dem-insider-save-america-scrap-the-constitution.php

So much derp.

platoonDaddy
10-10-14, 12:53
Some of you guys should have been here in the 1960's & 70's, LOL. Many (maybe even most) of this forum's membership weren't even born yet. Assinations, serious widespread civil unrest and Viet Nam. What a party! I truely believed then that I would not live past 30 and I am still here 40 years later, an old fat cat.

Just remember, however bad it is at any given point in time, it can always get worse. But truly long term things almost always get better overall. Would you rather be alive during the Dark Ages?

I was a father of three in the 60's and when I was in Nam the wife mailed me pictures from the hill outside our apartment of the smoke clouds over DC. Yes there were issues, but nothing as serious as today. The current administration has done a great job dividing this country. The spark that might throw this country into turmoil could originate in Ferguson.

Honu
10-10-14, 13:10
so imagine those idiots protesting in the Vietnma era well now as we know they are running our gov !! that is how bad it has gotten

when the Kennedy speech ask not what your country can do for you !!! those democrats are gone now its all about increasing welfare to the point its not worth getting off

now its the my fav leader is Mao !!!! and they are proud to be progressive communist and say so !!!

yeah sadly it has gotten worse and many don't feel so cause you are numb to it anymore is my thought :)

Moose-Knuckle
10-10-14, 13:19
It's been better and worse. I still don't think today is as screwed up as 1969 with the SLA shootout with the LAPD, the formation of the Weather Underground, the subversive elements of the civil rights movement and the hippie culture and cult of the Manson murders.

Well we do have the Weather Underground's protégé in the White House.

As for the OP, gents . . . this is just the calm before the storm.

WillBrink
10-10-14, 14:07

The more history you read/follow and the older you get, do you see the larger picture and the fact it's been far worse many times through human history. Way larger numbers of people dying in war(s), far more people dying of X diseases, etc, etc. Not long ago, you dealt with your little corner of the world, may get word of, or read about some war or disaster in some far off place, and go back to tiling your field or what have you. Today, some guys attack a mall in X country, 50 die of a disease in Y, a plane goes down, one person (one!) dies of Ebola in a US hospital, some cop shoots a kid with a pellet gun, and you know about it in seconds.

This is, and has been, one of the most stable times in human history on all major fronts. I don't know if that's a really depressing stat or a hopeful stat, but it's true.

austinN4
10-10-14, 14:45
This is, and has been, one of the most stable times in human history on all major fronts.
Agreed; although US government disfunction and debt is worse. But for most people in the US, and most of the world, the standard of living is so much higher today than it was in just the 50's and 60's. Health care is better and people are living longer. There are still lots of problems in the world, but it is largely much better than it was. Look at the contrast between 50's China and Russia and today - on average, the people have much more freedom (didn't say it was perfect, I said it was better than it was) and are more prosperous then they were. Chinese and Russion billionaires - who woulda thought?

WillBrink
10-10-14, 15:27
Agreed; although US government disfunction and debt is worse. But for most people in the US, and most of the world, the standard of living is so much higher today than it was in just the 50's and 60's. Health care is better and people are living longer. There are still lots of problems in the world, but it is largely much better than it was. Look at the contrast between 50's China and Russia and today - on average, the people have much more freedom (didn't say it was perfect, I said it was better than it was) and are more prosperous then they were. Chinese and Russion billionaires - who woulda thought?

Indeed. I will say, the media and other sources are doing an excellent job of making it as if the world is on the very brink (no pun intended...) of total disaster. What's most amazing to me, is as fu%#ed up as it all is, this is (to date) as good as it gets. Again, even more depressing than the other option or not, I'm not sure.

Pi3
10-10-14, 15:39
My parents had it much worse than me. Their parents had it worse than them.

Moose-Knuckle
10-10-14, 15:54
My parents had it much worse than me. Their parents had it worse than them.

Did their government intercept and listen to their phone calls or read their mail? Did they have 50% of everything they earned forced from them by the rule of law? Were they molested and groped by government agents at airports or train stations?

It’s all about perspective . . .

Ejh28
10-10-14, 16:00
Did their government intercept and listen to their phone calls or read their mail? Did they have 50% of everything they earned forced from by the rule of law? Were they molested and groped by government agents at airports or train stations?

Where's the "Like" button on this forum?

If we're judging by the "Stuff" we have, it's the best time ever in history. If we look at the rights and freedom allowed us, I think it's going downhill.

Slater
10-10-14, 16:00
Seems like nothing's been the same since David Lee Roth left Van Halen.

Doc Safari
10-10-14, 16:17
My take, without all the hyperbole, is that this world is trending toward more and more surveillance and control, while simultaneously inching toward both a third world war and mass extinctions/depletion of resources.

I'm not one of those global warming fanatics or tree-hugging nut sandwiches, but I do see the human race beginning to do more harm than good just by sheer numbers of us if nothing else.

One day our children or our children's children will NOT have it better than us, and no one ever will again.

WillBrink
10-10-14, 17:18
My take, without all the hyperbole, is that this world is trending toward more and more surveillance and control, while simultaneously inching toward both a third world war and mass extinctions/depletion of resources.

I'm not one of those global warming fanatics or tree-hugging nut sandwiches, but I do see the human race beginning to do more harm than good just by sheer numbers of us if nothing else.

One day our children or our children's children will NOT have it better than us, and no one ever will again.

Agreed. I'm not saying don't need to get our collective sh&% together as a species, or we can expect a downhill slide toward being no longer the apex species on this planet, only that it's been far worse. I agree with Hawking's: If we don't get off this planet we are likely gone in 1,000 years. I think he's being optimistic frankly. Most futurists give us a 50/50 or there abouts. Sadly, I don't have a lot of faith humanity can get its act together before we tip that "more harm than good" balance and we can't reverse it. One of the rare times I hope I'm wrong.

Moose-Knuckle
10-10-14, 17:34
If we're judging by the "Stuff" we have, it's the best time ever in history. If we look at the rights and freedom allowed us, I think it's going downhill.

As Rome was going through her death throes panem et circenses (bread and circuses) was the attitude of the apathetic populace. So long as people have their "stuff", something in their bellies, and disctracted via games (entertainment) the whole of their world can go critical mass without much notice.

Pi3
10-10-14, 17:38
Did their government intercept and listen to their phone calls or read their mail? Did they have 50% of everything they earned forced from by the rule of law? Were they molested and groped by government agents at airports or train stations?

The world appears to be spinning out of control, but when has it ever been otherwise? One of my grandfathers died in his 40's from what would today be considered a minor issue. I had relatives that did not have indoor plumbing until the late 60's. The rural south was pretty much a third world country until recently, is still in many places. My parents went through the great depression in their teens & went through WW2 in their 20s. I went through the 60's in my teens-that sure looked like immanent social collapse. Then there was the ever present prospect of a major nuclear exchange.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=duck+and+cover+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=9E23C4F79F678E26663A9E23C4F79F678E26663A

Moose-Knuckle
10-10-14, 17:38

Yup, it's called devolution.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
- Albert Einstein

Moose-Knuckle
10-10-14, 17:51
The world appears to be spinning out of control, but when has it ever been otherwise? One of my grandfathers died in his 40's from what would today be considered a minor issue. I had relatives that did not have indoor plumbing until the late 60's. The rural south was pretty much a third world country until recently, is still in many places. My parents went through the great depression in their teens & went through WW2 in their 20s. I went through the 60's in my teens-that sure looked like immanent social collapse. Then there was the ever present prospect of a major nuclear exchange.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=duck+and+cover+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=9E23C4F79F678E26663A9E23C4F79F678E26663A

My father was born in the early 40's, he was a teen in the 50's, and in his twenties during the 60's. He misses the 50's BADLY.

With advance medical technologies and life extension drugs one would think that the US would be leading the world in life expectancy and the infant mortality rate thing. Greatest consentration of centenarians on the planet are in the third world nation of Cuba and places like Japan.

Pi3
10-10-14, 18:46
"Did their government intercept and listen to their phone calls or read their mail?"
Back in the day the government didn't listen to our phone calls, but we had a party line, so the neighbors often did.
Its hard to believe the government is taking the time to read my emails. I don't even bother to read a lot of my emails. I wonder what they think about all the spam I'm getting.
Things just haven't been the same since Jeff Cooper died.

http://www.dvc.org.uk/jeff/

a1fabweld
10-10-14, 19:33
My dad talks about how the "Hippy Generation" of the 60's was the start of the end. He tells me things are way worse now than when he was my age. He says he doesn't envy the shit my kids will have to go through as adults trying to make ends meat in the world. Weather or not things are fk'ed up as they say they are, I believe things are pretty bad. How can they not be? Look at how hard we have to fight to defend out constitutional rights? Look at how our kids are being indoctrinated from as early as kindergarten to believe the Progressive agenda? I have to "Un-learn" so much of what my kids are being taught in elementary school it blows me away. Look at the corrupt things out gov't does to get votes? The racial tensions being fueled by the president? As a White Conservative, I feel things are going from bad to worse in a hurry unless lots of things change immediately.

montanadave
10-10-14, 20:02
My life's great. Got my dog a shark fin to wear while she paddles around in the pond out at the ranch. Hakuna matata, baby.

Don't be such a bunch of defeatist, whining pussies.

a1fabweld
10-10-14, 20:17
My life's great. Got my dog a shark fin to wear while she paddles around in the pond out at the ranch. Hakuna matata, baby.

You're right Montana. Thanks for grounding me. After all, as long as Obola is defending us, Starbucks is open, my I-pad lets me Facebook, & the Kardashians show is still on, what do we really have to worry about? Cheers bro!

austinN4
10-10-14, 20:18
Got my dog a shark fin to wear while she paddles around in the pond out at the ranch. Hakuna matata, baby.
I want to see that - photo to post?

Moose-Knuckle
10-10-14, 20:43

Oh that's right, I forget that you voted for Obama . . .

montanadave
10-10-14, 20:53
I want to see that - photo to post?

If you were to see her in the wild, it'd kill ya cause you'd die laughing. Even a flock of wild turkeys stopped by to check out the show.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/540/7EemoM.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f07EemoMj)

montanadave
10-10-14, 20:54
Oh that's right, I forget that you voted for Obama . . .

That I did. And I voted for Bush, too. Got ****ed both times. What's your point?

Crow Hunter
10-10-14, 21:01
Just in the past century off the top of my head:

Spanish flu, WWI, Eugenics, WWII, Great Depression, Red Scare, Gas shortages, 1970's Stagflation, having to give a drivers license to buy ammo (I remember that), Polio, the Dust Bowl, Prohibition, the Aids epidemic, taxes on up to 90% of income, etc.

All of these were just the things mostly faced by the US. That is nothing compared to the Pograms in Russia, the Oktober Revolution, Khmer Rouge, Chairman Mao, etc.

Today isn't a Utopia by any means, but it could be MUCH, MUCH worse and HAS been before and fairly recently at that.

The world didn't end. People picked up the pieces and went on. It isn't any different today other than just about everyone's standard of living is much higher so the fear of failure is probably much worse.

However, I do agree that there has been some troubling erosion of property and privacy rights. This is something we should be concerned about and be willing to fight over.

Every erosion is a Right washed out into the Sea of Tyranny that we will never get back.

Moose-Knuckle
10-10-14, 21:17
That I did. And I voted for Bush, too. Got ****ed both times. What's your point?

Call everyone in this thread "whining pussies" and the guy YOU voted for doubled the national debt for starters. That other guy you said you voted for didn't do that. If you live with your head in the sand, cool. But why participate in such a thread if all you can contribute is pictures of your dog, which we already have a thread for that and attempt to insult every member posting by resulting to name calling?

montanadave
10-10-14, 21:28
Call everyone in this thread "whining pussies" and the guy YOU voted for doubled the national debt for starters. That other guy you said you voted for didn't do that. If you live with your head in the sand, cool. But why participate in such a thread if all you can contribute is pictures of your dog, which we already have a thread for that and attempt to insult every member posting by resulting to name calling?

My apologies. And it certainly wasn't directed at everyone in the thread. But there does seem to be a cohort of members hanging out in GD who spend an inordinate amount of time bitching about how their lives are being completely ****ed on a consistent and regular basis by all manner of enemies both foreign and domestic who seem dedicated to destroying some 1950s Ward and June Cleaver fantasia that they feel was owed them by virtue of their having been born a white, American male.

The world's turning and the sun don't shine on the same dog's ass every day.

Me? I blew $13 on a shark fin for my dog and had a blast. To each his own.

Moose-Knuckle
10-10-14, 21:36
My apologies. And it certainly wasn't directed at everyone in the thread. But there does seem to be a cohort of members hanging out in GD who spend an inordinate amount of time bitching about how their lives are being completely ****ed on a consistent and regular basis by all manner of enemies both foreign and domestic who seem dedicated to destroying some 1950s Ward and June Cleaver fantasia that they feel was owed them by virtue of their having been born a white, American male.

The world's turning and the sun don't shine on the same dog's ass every day.

Me? I blew $13 on a shark fin for my dog and had a blast. To each his own.

Well that's cool and all but when the world can stop blaming the white American male for all its troubles, stop robbing white American males of their hard earned money to fuel the FSA, so on and so forth then maybe we can all piss and moan about something really important like football. As always YMMV. :cool:

Belmont31R
10-11-14, 02:45
Theres good and bad things, IMO, to many different eras. Not really a revolutionary statement at all, but people tend to cherry pick or relate to their own experiences rather than how society was as a whole.

Vietnam, knowing what I know now, isn't a war I'd have wanted to fight in. I did Iraq twice, and so my experience with going to war is a lot different than a lot of guys had during the 60's. I don't envy them at all. And we had way better gear than they did. My first deployment we played Xbox a lot. But the guys in Vietnam had a lot more liberty with things like alcohol. I felt my experience was very sanitized and more or less plug n play. My FIL was a Vietnam vet, and some of the stuff he said they did would have never even come close to flying in the GWOT. I think those guys probably had a bigger variety of experiences and more unique stuff to remember than we did.

Back domestically, I think we're a lot more aware of the dangers around us now. Like kids disappearing or where peso's live or things like pools and roads. When I was a kid in the 80's I bounced around the car on trips without a seatbelt, used to disappear out of the house for hours, and Ive had stitches a few times from youthful shit. My kids probably won't get stitches but they're probably a lot safer from pedo's than I was. They were around back then like they are now. Just people didn't have phones and computers at home to learn about it. Theres a lot to say about ignorance for better or worse.

The everything is a crime crap we are dealing with now started in the 60's, and goes all the way up until now. We're only now starting to slowly to tip back the other way with pot laws, ect. But a ton of crime laws have been passed since 1960. A lot of it was race based like gun laws. People didn't like hippies so we got the WOD. Some of the social crew from the 30/40's got their way with welfare which LBJ and FDR got going.

Belloc
10-11-14, 04:29
Bad, getting worse, and there will come a point when the denial of reality (economic, geo-political, objective, and moral) will send crashing down the whole post-modern deconstructionist house of cards. Or as philosophy professor Peter Kreetf has put it:

A Refutation of Moral Relativism
http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio/05_relativism/relativism_transcription.htm

"How important is the issue [of moral relativism]? The issue of moral relativism is merely the single most important issue of our age, for no society in all of human history has ever survived without rejecting the philosophy that I am about to refute. There has never been a society of relativists. Therefore, our society will do one of three things: either disprove one of the most universally established laws of all history; or repent of its relativism and survive; or persist in its relativism and perish."

Nebraska Teachers Told to Drop “Boys” and “Girls” and Use Gender Neutral Term “Purple Penguins

”A Nebraska school district has instructed its teachers to stop referring to students by “gendered expressions” such as “boys and girls,” and use “gender inclusive” ones such as “purple penguins” instead.

“Don’t use phrases such as ‘boys and girls,’ ‘you guys,’ ‘ladies and gentlemen,’ and similarly gendered expressions to get kids’ attention,” instructs a training document given to middle-school teachers at the Lincoln Public Schools."

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2014/10/09/nebraska-teachers-told-to-drop-boys-and-girls-and-use-gender-neutral-term-purple-penguins/

http://www.futuretimeline.net/subject/images/us-debt-graph-2020.jpg

11 Ways You Know You Live In A Country Run By Idiots

1. If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally, you live in a country run by idiots.

2. If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion, you live in a country run by idiots.

3. If you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor or check out a library book, but not to vote on who runs the government, you live in a country run by idiots.

4. If the government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives 20 F-16 fighter jets to the crazy leaders in Egypt, you live in a country run by idiots.

5. If, in the largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not a 24-ounce soda because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat, you live in a country run by idiots.

6. If an 80-year-old woman can be stripped searched by the TSA but a woman in a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched, you live in a country run by idiots.

7. If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more, you live in a country run by idiots.

8. If a seven year old boy can be thrown out of grade school for saying his teacher’s “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable, you live in a country run by idiots.

9. If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing and free cell phones, you live in a country run by idiots.

10. If the government’s plan for getting people back to work is to incentivize NOT working, with 99 weeks of unemployment checks and no requirement to prove they applied but can’t find work, you live in a country run by idiots.

11. If being stripped of the ability to defend yourself makes you more “safe” according to the government, you live in a country run by idiots.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-09/11-ways-you-know-you-live-country-run-idiots

Hell, look at the first quote in my sig. There are those on this very forum who have publicly claimed that the lunatic left is absolutely right to label those who hunt deer to put food on the table for their families are "murderers". It's one thing for a society to have a weak grip on reality, but it's quite another to have no grip whatsoever.

austinN4
10-11-14, 04:49
If you were to see her in the wild, it'd kill ya cause you'd die laughing. Even a flock of wild turkeys stopped by to check out the show.
Love it! Made me smile. A great way to start my day. Thanks!

jpmuscle
10-11-14, 06:10
Bad, getting worse, and there will come a point when the denial of reality (economic, geo-political, objective, and moral) will send crashing down the whole post-modern deconstructionist house of cards. Or as philosophy professor Peter Kreetf has put it:

http://www.futuretimeline.net/subject/images/us-debt-graph-2020.jpg

Hell, look at the first quote in my sig. There are those on this very forum who have publicly claimed that the lunatic left is absolutely right to label those who hunt deer to put food on the table for their families are "murderers". It's one thing for a society to have a weak grip on reality, but it's quite another to have no grip whatsoever.
See, now I read things such this and I honestly start to ponder the thought of just saying F it.. Humanity is overrated.

Especially the penguin thing. And I adore penguins.

Outlander Systems
10-11-14, 07:36
When we start electing our friends and neighbors to office, instead of career swindlers/liars/crooks/cronies/grifters, the course we are on will finally change.

Until then, we'll be stuck watching The Republic go down the swirly.

Irish
10-11-14, 08:51
Take a look at the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) inflation calculator. (http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm) Inflation is a hidden tax that most people don't have a clue about.

In 1913 $1000 = $24,000 in today's money.

1913 is the year the 16th Amendment was adopted as well.

drsal
10-11-14, 09:24
Whenever I see these threads I'm reminded of a line from the film Scarface, "any day above ground is a good day."
Things better/ worse, sky is falling, assorted gloom and doom,meh. I would guess that for most people in this country, life is pretty damn good. Don't think so, move to some third world paradise like mexico, the dominican republic, any place in central/south amerika, tours to west afrika are pretty inexpensive now as well I believe. Your taxes too high, get a better CPA! Some staples a bit more expensive, well most likely your income has increased to match it.
Wish to buy almost anything you want, you can. With the exception of some northeast states, ililnois, dc, and California, one can purchase any firearm, accessory, ammo that one would like. Good luck doing that in most other countries. Are things better or worse than before, hmmm, it depends on your education, skills, investment savvy, location, perhaps even luck, who knows. Is there an abundance of 'badness' now as compared to the past, maybe, maybe not. The concerns/problems may be waay different than those of the past, but solutions will be found, hell look at the iphone 6 :cool:

wildcard600
10-11-14, 12:57
Seems that things are probably not "worse", per se, than any other time in the last century but i'm really not sure they are "better" either.

Just because more people have LCD tv's and there is cheap "food" so that even those among the low income bracket can eat themselves into an early diabetic grave does not mean the quality of life is any higher.

IMO

WillBrink
10-11-14, 13:59
Seems that things are probably not "worse", per se, than any other time in the last century but i'm really not sure they are "better" either.

Just because more people have LCD tv's and there is cheap "food" so that even those among the low income bracket can eat themselves into an early diabetic grave does not mean the quality of life is any higher.

IMO

To clarify, my comments were regarding humanity/the planet in general, while some are commenting on US only as I thought that was the OPs intent. "Better" would depend on which metric one uses as your post suggests. I'd say humanity as a whole is far better off than it was in "the good old days" people look to as it's human nature to recall the good and ignore the bad. I tend to look back on my growing up in Brooklyn in the 70s (which was literally a low intensity war zone, very high crime rates, drugs, etc, etc) with great fondness, even though at the time it was very stressful and i forget about being shot at a few times, the rats, cats, junkies and roaches. That's what humans do, as alone or collectively and that's likely to be a downfall for us, because you know what they say about those who ignore history...

If we narrow the discussion just to the US, depending on which metric used, then one might conclude the US is not at the top of it's apex. But you hear about the 50s being so great. If you were that person who had to drink from special drinking fountains and such, that might not be the "good old days" in your view, etc. We were also fighting commies in Korea fighting commies and I'll bet that was not so much fun for many a man there. I can see why many look to the 50s as the best time in the US because it was the lull in the storm before big cultural upheavals that are still causing ripples to day.

Moose-Knuckle
10-11-14, 14:47
Wish to buy almost anything you want, you can. With the exception of some northeast states, ililnois, dc, and California, one can purchase any firearm, accessory, ammo that one would like.

:lol:

Yeah I live in the free state of TX and I'm still waiting for my HK G36s, HK UMPs, Sako RK 95 TPs, and AP ammo in 7.62x51, 7.62x39, and 5.56x45 . . .

wildcard600
10-11-14, 15:26
To clarify, my comments were regarding humanity/the planet in general, while some are commenting on US only as I thought that was the OPs intent. "Better" would depend on which metric one uses as your post suggests. I'd say humanity as a whole is far better off than it was in "the good old days" people look to as it's human nature to recall the good and ignore the bad. I tend to look back on my growing up in Brooklyn in the 70s (which was literally a low intensity war zone, very high crime rates, drugs, etc, etc) with great fondness, even though at the time it was very stressful and i forget about being shot at a few times, the rats, cats, junkies and roaches. That's what humans do, as alone or collectively and that's likely to be a downfall for us, because you know what they say about those who ignore history...

If we narrow the discussion just to the US, depending on which metric used, then one might conclude the US is not at the top of it's apex. But you hear about the 50s being so great. If you were that person who had to drink from special drinking fountains and such, that might not be the "good old days" in your view, etc. We were also fighting commies in Korea fighting commies and I'll bet that was not so much fun for many a man there. I can see why many look to the 50s as the best time in the US because it was the lull in the storm before big cultural upheavals that are still causing ripples to day.

I agree for the most part with all of your statements, but you really hit the nail on the head with that last sentence I bolded above. As you said, there were some issues at the time (segregation, predominately in the south) but the overall economic prosperity and booming middle class are what built this country into the world superpower it was.

now here we are in decline economically, socially, culturally and some argue morally; but the seeming majority of the country acts like its no big deal. Honestly I am glad I chose to not have any children because I think it would be unfair to bring a life into this world and hand them the reigns of a already sinking ship without a spec of land in site.

IMO

Honu
10-11-14, 22:36
I usually edit about 5-10weddings a week for other photographers and shoot about 20-25 a year

Every single one half the guests are on there cell phone some watching sports some playing games some texting ?
That is really sad IMHO
Kinda shows both sides why invite people that don't care and why would people do this
How many know all there neighbors even that is less and les common etc....

People for the most part are so self absorbed anymore which does make it worse for very one :(

Phillygunguy
10-11-14, 23:14
I think things are much worse now than ever and it started with Sept 11 th and has gotten much worse. I've never seen a political divide in this country like we have now in my 46 years. Government ooverreach is at an all time high and may never be reigned in. I think multiculturalism and political correctness are responsible for the downfall of America. unfortunately I see it as a disease that will only stop after it burns itself out and leave America dead in its wake

MountainRaven
10-11-14, 23:41
All I know for sure is that if you set time back 50 years, my brother would have died as a baby, my mother would have died from cancer, and my father would likely be on the way out due to heart issues. I'll take my family, Afghanistan, and Obama over a dead family, Vietnam, and LBJ any day of the week.

williejc
10-12-14, 01:47
We are a divided nation with a government disabled by incompetence and gridlock. Eight years of Bush(I voted for him) and eight years of Obama will have given us sixteen years of less than stellar leadership. I fear that our nation may face economic collapse fueled by inflation, low productivity, astronomical debt, and inability to resolve the issues that we discuss on this forum. Our country has given up many sons and daughters to two wars. Our military has been bled dry. Our equipment is worn. Once again our nation is trying to balance the budget on the backs of soldiers, sailers, and marines.

I do emphasize that unless we maintain a strong economy, we risk economic collapse. Border issues, terrorism threats, and various domestic problems are serious restraining forces that disrupt success, and coping with them, fighting them, and hopefully fixing these issues is expensive. We need money. We must manufacture goods to export. We must have good jobs with good wages for our citizens. We must have a strong market for our goods.

Maintaining a strong economy is the key to preventing chaos and anarchy that would consume us if it all fell apart.

Texas42
10-12-14, 05:57
I believe that "bad" is and has been the normal. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, but there is always evil in the world. Bad things are happening pretty much all the time. Always will (until the second coming of Christ).

I feel we as a society seem to think that bad things are not "normal," and the ability of news to try and shock people 24/7/365 has never been greater.

jmp45
10-12-14, 10:46
I betting sticker boy I spotted yesterday thinks that we are definitely on the right track for a better country. The only sticker he missed is COEXIST.

Really need to have some vinyl stickers to slap on these vehicles 'I'm a proud member of the free sh!t army'. I would have slapped that on in a heart beat.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/sticker_boy_zpse2b5844e.jpg

Outlander Systems
10-12-14, 11:53
I betting sticker boy I spotted yesterday thinks that we are definitely on the right track for a better country. The only sticker he missed is COEXIST.

Really need to have some vinyl stickers to slap on these vehicles 'I'm a proud member of the free sh!t army'. I would have slapped that on in a heart beat.

Dude. Those, "COEXIST" stickers drive me up the ****ing wall.

VIP3R 237
10-12-14, 12:14
The first sign that youre a liberal douche is bumper stickers proclaiming your cause.

montanadave
10-12-14, 13:32
The first sign that youre a liberal douche is bumper stickers proclaiming your cause.

I'm sure it's been around forever, but I'd never seen it till a couple of weeks ago and I damn near dropped my coffee I was laughing so hard. The bumper sticker?

What Would Scooby Do?

MountainRaven
10-12-14, 14:06

Probably not a member. Probably a supporter, though.

In any case, it has been my experience that liberal, PETA-loving, Obama/Biden-voting, HRC-supporting, evangelical atheists are just as pissed about what's happening in this country as every one else. They just think that the solutions are different than those proposed and supported by conservative, NRA-loving, Bush/Cheney-voting, Prop 8-supporting, evangelical Christians. The chief difference being that where you see their solutions making everybody a slave to Big Government, they see your solutions as making everybody a slave to Big Business.

Dude. Those, "COEXIST" stickers drive me up the ****ing wall.

I don't mind 'em. But I really like the NRA one.

I have a friend who is very much into guns. Hates gun-grabbers and most liberals in general. He makes sure that his car has those sorts of stickers on them. He likens them to camouflage.

jmp45
10-12-14, 15:55
Probably not a member. Probably a supporter, though.

You're right, should have a ranking member or officer in the free sh!t army. Had a coexist idiot cut me off in a parking lot a complete a$$hole.

platoonDaddy
10-27-14, 11:44
If this video doesn't convince you thinks are worst off, nothing will. Local DC TV station talking about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqHYzYn3WZw

EDIT: What is happening to our country, when feminist believe this will get their message across?

How sad, and why would parents allow their daughters to participate is such garbage! Dang and double dang!

a1fabweld
10-27-14, 12:59
If this video doesn't convince you thinks are worst off, nothing will. Local DC TV station talking about this:

EDIT: What is happening to our country, when feminist believe this will get their message across?

How sad, and why would parents allow their daughters to participate is such garbage! Dang and double dang!

I showed this video to a Liberal woman I know last week. She replied, "It has good shock value & I support the message behind it". I said WTF? This woman is a stay at home mom who doesn't swear around her kids, her husband carries 100% of the financial burden in the family, she half ass keeps up the house, & claims to be a feminist. I almost threw up to her reaction.

polydeuces
10-27-14, 13:44
Pick a few random dates in recent (world) history, say about last 150 years and see what the state of affairs was in that period. Pick a few. See what happens.
Only difference - no such thing as instant media.
Makes "now" look like a picnic. Really.

Prime example - you think gub'ment is bad now...? (which yes it is, but...) Check about a hundred years ago - enough to make your hair stand up straight. And lets not talk about how large corporations trampled on pretty much anything and controlled it all.

MountainRaven
10-27-14, 16:00

:lol:

Pick a few random dates in recent (world) history, say about last 150 years and see what the state of affairs was in that period. Pick a few. See what happens.

Prime example - you think gub'ment is bad now...? (which yes it is, but...) Check about a hundred years ago - enough to make your hair stand up straight. And lets not talk about how large corporations trampled on pretty much anything and controlled it all.

This has changed?

Fifty years ago... constant threat of nuclear annihilation, Vietnam, social upheaval, and acid. Voting age of 21.

One-hundred years ago... the Great War (including the first aerial bombardment of a civilian population center, the first dog fight, the first use of modern chemical weapons in warfare, and battles that would claim one million casualties in their first day), Ottoman-Turk Empire ethnically cleanses Armenians, no antibiotics. No suffrage for women. Prohibition, ETA: Soon!

One-hundred fifty years ago... Danish-Prussian War, US Civil War, Russian Empire ethnically cleanses Circassians, Uruguayan War, Maori-New Zealand Wars, (American) Indian Wars, Paraguayan War, the Anglo-Ashanti Wars... and that's just 1864! Slavery legal in the US, right to vote only exists among white men.

Two-hundred years ago... War of the Sixth Coalition/Napoleonic Wars, War of 1812, the Great Stock Exchange Fraud, (American) Indian Wars, the Black Act (which prescribed the death penalty for some 50 criminal offenses), and worst of all, the London Beer Flood (in which nine people drowned in beer).

Things are obviously much worse, now.

:jester:

Pi3
10-27-14, 16:19
Exactly. I remember studying U.S. history as a kid, thinking what a violent mess much of it was, but that the present was ok. Then we got to current events & I realized to my dismay that the current situation (this was the 60's) was still a mess. Things ebb & flow. I had an uncle who noted that the "good old days" usually occurred when a person was in their early 20's, no matter what era that happened to be.

Honu
10-27-14, 16:42
the same feminists and lefties think a late term baby is nothing and can be killed without any care so this is nothing to them they are like the jihadists who use there kids front and center for propaganda much like hitler youth ! the left wants the left youth and the destruction of the family

when you see videos in China like the one of a baby in the street and nobody stops and it gets run over multiple times even backed over at one point and then finally someone comes along and picks the baby up just to throw it off the road !!!
this is what the left LOVES and WANTS out of our country as that one psycho obamas admin said Mao is who she looks up to

polydeuces
10-27-14, 18:19
In any case, it has been my experience that liberal, PETA-loving, Obama/Biden-voting, HRC-supporting, evangelical atheists are just as pissed about what's happening in this country as every one else. They just think that the solutions are different than those proposed and supported by conservative, NRA-loving, Bush/Cheney-voting, Prop 8-supporting, evangelical Christians. The chief difference being that where you see their solutions making everybody a slave to Big Government, they see your solutions as making everybody a slave to Big Business.

THIS!
Pretty much covers it.

PS - and no - of course nothing has changed - applying a bit of irony there, and emphasizing how its still the same travesty, just in a different disguise.

Well said, sir!

rjacobs
10-27-14, 18:25
Ive been watching the Ken Burns series "The War" on Netflix the past few days and what we have today is a cake walk compared to what the country/world went through in WWII. We think we have "problems" today, our problems aint shit IMO.

Honu
10-27-14, 23:59
one of the things I use as a gauge of bad is WWII and imagining living in Europe my father in law and mother were both young kids and were shipped off to the country for safety
and for sure things turned around

I do think we have a dif kind of issue though in the US and our rights are going away etc... and sadly if things don't turn around there will not be a US to help turn things around
also in WWII it never really hit our soil at all
wars come and go the stuff we have going on today is for ever now much like living in some parts of the world though are just as bad as WWII and what the nazis were doing not at quite the scale but still spread out over many countries beheadings and mass killings are still going on based on religion and to this day the Jews are still being persecuted
where in WWII it was just the nazis in Germany today its quite a few countries who want to see the jews exterminated and the christians and sadly half of America I think would just let it happen so in some ways yes WWII was bad but its a daily erosion that has happened and there might not be the same recovery anymore

Ive been watching the Ken Burns series "The War" on Netflix the past few days and what we have today is a cake walk compared to what the country/world went through in WWII. We think we have "problems" today, our problems aint shit IMO.