PDA

View Full Version : QD Swivels Bombproof?

j_mcdade
10-09-14, 21:11
Hi there,

I have used the "search" function, and have found that several posters were not quite sold on QD swivels, but I did not find any posts where anyone had described a catastrophic failure of QD swivel. I was recently given a Magpul MS4 Dual QD Gen2 sling, and I think I may like it once I have used it and, have had a chance to fairly evaluate it. With that being said; have any of you had bad experiences with QD swivels? I would hate to have a nice rifle damaged by something as simple as a swivel.

Thank you,

Jim

TexanInCali
10-10-14, 20:15
I've had good luck with the following combinations.

- Midwest Industries Heavy Duty Flush Swivel
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/MI-Heavy-Duty-Flush-Button-Swivel-p/mi-hdfs.htm
The flush buttons help avoid accidental release. This is a nice feature to look for.

- IWC QD Endplate Rotation Limited
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-end-plate-rl-by-impact-weapons-components/
This steel endplate is rotation limited and works well for staking your castle nut.

- IWC QD Keymod Rotation Limited Sling Mount
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/keymod-qd-rl-sling-mount/
This is a good, rotation limited mount. They also make non-keymod mounts.

For stocks, the B5 Sopmod has rotation limited swivel cups, as does the new BCM stock. Unfortunately, the swivel cups on Vltor stocks aren't rotation limited.

I've tested these quite a bit and have never had them release even under heavy, abrupt loads. The one big thing I'd recommend when it comes to QD swivels is that you get rotation limited mounts. These keep the swivel from spinning freely and help to keep your sling untwisted. Make sure you buy quality parts and you should be fine.

JBecker 72
10-10-14, 20:23
I've been using the MS4 since it came out and I'm a big fan of it. The only problems I've heard of with QD swivels is the really crappy ones.

TF82
10-10-14, 20:34
Also, always make sure to give them a good tug after you plug them in. Sometimes it's not hard to think they're fully seated and end up looking like a dope when your rifle hits the ground.

556BlackRifle
10-10-14, 20:46
I got mine at Rainier arms. They've been great. I have some locking and non-locking QD attachment points and both have their merits but I like the locking ones best.

Zane1844
10-10-14, 21:05
I have never had a problem with them.

nimdabew
10-10-14, 23:43
I don't use QD swivels anymore. After getting wet, the swivel itself can rust open and no longer will capture the QD point. I use HK hooks and fastex buckles. They have their own downsides too, just like everything else.

j_mcdade
10-10-14, 23:45
Guys,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies. I'm going to give these things a try and see how they work out. Previously I had used HK hooks and they were so simple that I had all kinds of faith in them, never a problem.

Again, thanks,

Jim

MegademiC
10-11-14, 00:14
I use Gear Sector. Solid, and low profile enough an accidental release is unlikely.

Hkbeltfed
10-11-14, 08:17
One of the take aways I got from an older thread was if you're using limited rotation qd sockets, you need to install the qd AND TURN IT. If you don't, the qd may not engage correctly due to how limited rotation sockets are machined.

JBecker 72
10-11-14, 09:00
I always insert them and then give them a twist and a tug to make sure they are fully inserted and locked.

Abraham
10-11-14, 09:07
Don't try to save money on low cost QD swivels.

Be certain, as advised by many here, to give the QD a tug.

I got in a hurry and almost dropped my AR when my QD swivel was not fully inserted...my fault, not the swivel.

titanse05
10-11-14, 09:13
First, use high quality swivels. I have ones from Blue Force Gear, GG&G, and Rainier Arms and they are all good to go.

Second, make sure that the swivels are properly seated by twisting and pulling them once installed.

Third, like anything else on a rifle, make sure and lube them up so they don't seize up.

Follow these steps and QD swivels are bomb proof.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Grand58742
10-11-14, 10:39
The only problem I've ever had with a QD swivel was with a B5 stock that was immediately replaced by the factory (shameless plug to B5 Systems here)

Otherwise, buy with confidence.

Trajan
10-11-14, 17:16
I've had a cheap QD fail on me (the ones that come with VTAC slings). Fortunately it was just dry practice in my living room. Muzzle impacted the floor (front swivel gave out).

No issues with the swivels on my VCAS with sewn in QDs (G&R edition).

You're rifle won't get damaged from hitting the ground. I suspect it would just strike the muzzle every time. No issue with a birdcage. Prong hiders may be an issue though.

I'd be more worried about dropping a hot gun, but generally when a gun is hot, you have it under control in your hands anyway. Don't try to catch it though.

j_mcdade
10-16-14, 00:46
I just saw that there were more posts here since I last checked. I would like to once again thank everyone that posted. I will be using these QD swivels with much more faith than I would have otherwise!

Jim

Kokopelli
10-16-14, 00:57
do any/all of the above and tie them down with paracord. If you need them off, just cut and toss the para cord. consider it expendable..

kantstudien
10-16-14, 01:19
Has anyone had experience with the ALG Forged QD swivels? They indeed look bombproof

http://algdefense.com/forged-sling-swivel-fss.html

South
10-16-14, 01:31

dramabeats
10-16-14, 02:03
That's what I do with a QD. Just a simple, short piece of paracord does the trick. Although it may be unnecessary, it gives me a little more confidence.

Those swivels look bombproof, I have looked at them in the past. But at more than twice the price of a Gear Sector swivel, it's a hard for me to drop the extra cash. I know buy once cry once, and I almost always do, but GS swivels are legit, as well as many others at the same price point.

Those look really nice, the weight savings is worth it enough

jpmuscle
10-16-14, 02:08
Dam those are really nice.

Benito
10-16-14, 02:18
Regarding QD swivels, I feel like the odd man out, like a relic.
I still don't trust them. I just don't. Not enough material in the critical points to convince me that my rifle isn't going to take a nose dove into the ground.
I use the hook/clasp on the Magpul MS3 Gen 2 and the strap looped around thingy on the BFG Vickers sling.

GH41
10-16-14, 05:41
Has anyone had experience with the ALG Forged QD swivels? They indeed look bombproof

http://algdefense.com/forged-sling-swivel-fss.html

There goes 65 more dollars flying out of my wallet!!

Ryno12
10-16-14, 06:03
Compared to a traditional QD, those pins holding the loop to the QD look pretty spindly on the ALG units. No way I'd drop $64 on those.
I'll stick with the MI ones that have served me well.

M4Guru
10-16-14, 06:29
Actually, it's quite the opposite. The ALG swivel is an order of magnitude stronger than a traditional QD. It is the only swivel we can use to do certain accessory tests because the bail on a regular QD isn't strong enough. I don't remember the exact number, but I am confident saying the ALG is AT LEAST twice as strong and then some. Not that a regular QD isn't plenty strong, but some M-LOK accessories are much higher failure point than the QD and we have to know where that point is.

Ryno12
10-16-14, 06:46
That's impressive then. That center pin that fastens the loop to the QD mount looks like it could be its Achilles heel. ALG doesn't put out junk so it must be stronger than it appears.

South
10-16-14, 08:27

markm
10-16-14, 08:43
Regarding QD swivels, I feel like the odd man out, like a relic.
I still don't trust them. I just don't. Not enough material in the critical points to convince me that my rifle isn't going to take a nose dove into the ground.

I'm with you. Now granted... all of the failures I've seen or read about didn't include the make of the QD product... or if they did, I didn't think to make note of it.

I've got a QD on one gun and I got it from BCM. That sucker seem pretty solid and not likely to be accidentally released because of the countersunk button.

Those ALG units look nice as hell.