PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 53gr V-Max

Onyx Z
10-10-14, 09:40
Anyone played around with these 53gr V-Max bullets? In all of the reports I've read, it is a very flat shooting bullet for varmint hunting out to 300yds or so, which is what I plan on using it for. Hornady advertises a .290 BC and it shares the same ogive as the 75gr V-Max. Sounded promising, so I bought a few.

Anyone tried extruded powders in this light of a bullet? I haven't tried any extruded powders on anything lighter than 69gr SMK's, so I'm not sure what might work well for this weight class. XBR and H322 are my top choices at this point, but I've never heard of anyone using XBR on <69gr bullets. And with H322 being such a fast powder, it might be a better choice. I'm just having a love affair with XBR right now, so I would prefer it... Any recommendations on other extruded powders that might work efficiently (or better?) on something like this? I want it to be a laser, so I want to avoid ball/temp sensitive powders.

markm
10-10-14, 09:45
A hot load of Benchmark works good for my with bullet weights in that range. And XBR is fast enough to run too. I had 55 gr Ballistic tips stacking with XBR.

Those V max bullets are freakishly laser like. I can't imagine XBR not making those things really perform well.

1slow01Z71
10-12-14, 22:22
Sounds like XBR might be the ticket for my 62gr TBBCs I need to load. Been debating on what powder to use that meters well in the dillon but will be temp stable, accurate and get me decent speed. So many choices for bullets in that weight range.

Onyx Z
10-12-14, 22:25
There has got to be a downside to XBR. This stuff is too good to be true!

markm
10-13-14, 08:01
There has got to be a downside to XBR. This stuff is too good to be true!

There is. When loading up near 5.56 velocities, it'll turn on you quick. I've read about it, and lived it. It goes from no signs of pressure to popped primers and case head swipes quick.

I still load HOT ammo with it, but I leave myself a good half grain cushion.

opngrnd
11-19-14, 10:28
Has anyone tried these 53 gain Vmax's with H322 and Russian primers? I have 300 bullets to be loaded, H322, BL(C)-2(meh), Varget(which I'm saving for 308 for the time being), and Russian primers.

I totally missed a great deal at a gun show this weekend. 8 pound jugs of XBR for $140 out the door...

markm
11-19-14, 10:31
8 pound jugs of XBR for $140 out the door...

DAMN! The last 8 that Pappabear picked up had a price that started with the number 2.

Onyx Z
11-19-14, 10:42
Has anyone tried these 53 gain Vmax's with H322 and Russian primers? I have 300 bullets to be loaded, H322, BL(C)-2(meh), Varget(which I'm saving for 308 for the time being), and Russian primers.

I haven't. But if you do, please let us now it turns out. I'm wanting more than Benchmark seems to be getting me...

opngrnd
11-19-14, 10:46
What is benchmark getting you and with what primer? I will get on it and let you know how it goes. Are you going off of the Hornady manual?

Onyx Z
11-19-14, 11:04
What is benchmark getting you and with what primer? I will get on it and let you know how it goes. Are you going off of the Hornady manual?

I went off of the Hodgdon manual and the OCW method. If I remember correctly, pressure signs began ~.5gr above the recommended max.

It's getting me ~.75moa. This gun is capable of consistent .5moa groups with my 77gr XBR handloads, so that ruined me forever. These are Wolf SRM primers.

opngrnd
11-19-14, 11:10
I'll let you know then, but both you and your equipment may be above my level of shooting :/ My current best load is using the 69 grain SMK, and I get about .6-.7 moa, but that was before adding the Russian primers. I haven't been back out for groups since I picked up the Wolf primers. I also might do better if I get that Timney put in the Rem 700 at some point. I'm fairly new to precision loading vs volume loading. Thanks for the feedback.

markm
11-19-14, 11:18
Those Wolf or Tula primers are without a doubt capable of shaving group sizes. I like to do volume precision loading. ;)

I just run my 77s on the Dillon. I did load a box full of 77s using the chargemaster and Lapua brass. We'll get to shoot those soon... to see if there's any gain by going fancy on that load. (H322 that is)

Onyx Z
11-19-14, 12:09
Those Wolf or Tula primers are without a doubt capable of shaving group sizes. I like to do volume precision loading. ;)

I just run my 77s on the Dillon. I did load a box full of 77s using the chargemaster and Lapua brass. We'll get to shoot those soon... to see if there's any gain by going fancy on that load. (H322 that is)

If you don't get anything amazing out of the Lapua brass, I will gladly take it off your hands...:)

opngrnd
11-19-14, 12:24

Color me interested in this...

markm
11-19-14, 12:38
If you don't get anything amazing out of the Lapua brass, I will gladly take it off your hands...:)

Man... I did at quick comparison on the stuff a year or so back, and Mixed brass shot every bit as good as the Lapua. Now, in .308, Lapua made a difference. But 223 I haven't had issues with plain old, regular brass.

Onyx Z
11-19-14, 13:22
Man... I did at quick comparison on the stuff a year or so back, and Mixed brass shot every bit as good as the Lapua. Now, in .308, Lapua made a difference. But 223 I haven't had issues with plain old, regular brass.

Yeah, they shot very similar for me too. But, Lapua brass has been a lot more consistent when sizing. Almost every piece came to within .001 or .002 of each other. The initial sizing on once fired LC brass may have been .004-.005. It's not a huge deal, but I really like the consistency.