PDA

View Full Version : Forward Assist Option

lalakai
06-20-08, 09:58
I'm building an M4 from the ground up and need to lean on others' experiences with this issue. I've shot the M16/AR15 platforms and can never remember having to use the FA. Pretty sure that the first M16's used for testing didn't have the FA, and it was added on subsequent models.

My concern with the FA is two fold. In an andrenelin situation, you are only operating on gross motor responses, and already I've found my self getting hung up on the FA knob while trying to clear and charge and BCG. Second issue is that the FA if not needed, is just one more thing that has the possibility of malfunctioning and causing a seize up.

give me your opinions on this please. thanks.

markm
06-20-08, 10:10
The FA can cause a mess if the pin breaks. There was some so called expert who was advocating the removal of the FA because of this one in a million scenario. It's such a rare possibility that most people have probably never heard of it. The retaining pin is a roll pin which is flexible. It'd likely bend before breaking, and even that is a far fetched scenario not worth worrying about.

I prefer the FA. You don't have to hit it if you think you may have and obstruction, but it's there for chamber checks and stuff. People get all bent out of shape with this "why do I want to jam a bad round in there?" nonsense. Well just because the FA is there, doesn't mean you have to hit it. :rolleyes:

a308garand
06-20-08, 15:04
I have been seeing the forward assist mostly used in an administrative capacity. Load magazine, drop bolt via bolt release, tap forward assist to ensure bolt is engaged, close the ejection port door. (Short version leaving out details :) )

If you keep things simple and run an upper without forward assist, you can still push the bolt carrier forward by inserting a finger through the ejection port-push against the half round cutout on the bolt carrier. Just don't do this when the rifle has been shot a bit- hot carrier.

FA doesn't bother me, it can serve a purpose.

rmecapn
06-20-08, 15:25
I'd be interested to know who makes a flattop upper with no foward assist.

mgfan58
06-20-08, 15:42
With the Vltor uppers you have a choice to have just the deflector and no F/A. They can be purched with either bolt on module. Some others, that do not have the F/A, also delete the ejection port cover. You can look at DPMS, Model 1 sales, and M&A parts. I'm sure the all sale them. Grant can probably get them as well but I have not seen them for sale on his site.

mgfan58

lalakai
06-24-08, 08:49
there are a couple uppers that have the option of no FA; http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=587Sun Devil makes one, and i think Daniels Defense also has an upper w/o a FA. Admittedly i haven't used the M16/AR15 platform extensively, but in the times that i have used it, i have never had to utilize the FA ability. While running stress shoot certifications i have inadvertently grabbed the FA while trying to pull the slide back and it took me a bit to realize why the slide wasn't moving back.

What i'm really looking for are the logical reasons to include it on the platform. Otherwise it's just an option that might make matters worse (ex: seating a bad round even further in the chamber). So far i've read alot of threads on the topic but nothing concrete yet (which came first.......the chicken or the egg?). Thanks for the input though.

edit = corrected the link lol

markm
06-24-08, 09:07
While running stress shoot certifications i have inadvertently grabbed the FA while trying to pull the slide back and it took me a bit to realize why the slide wasn't moving back.

Are you left handed? I don't even see how that could happen. :confused:

The "forcing a bad round" arguement to me is rubbish. It gets repeated more often than a "bad" round is produced.

I really wouldn't select a non FA'd upper for a fighting weapon if I had the choice. It can offer some limited value for shooters who think outside of the box a little... silently chambering a live round, chamber checks, etc.

And how often do you hear of the FA creating any problems? Never.

blacktail 8541
06-24-08, 12:28
As has been stated, the forward assist is more of a use for chamber checks and such. In the middle of a fight I trained my people to clear the round via the chargeing handle and then hit the forward assist. Trying to pound a round into the chamber when it did not fully seat by the inertia of the bolt carrier group cycleing is just not a good idea.

Sandman751
06-24-08, 20:18
I agree with blacktail on this one. Trying to force a live round home is not a good idea. The power stroke method should be the first IA procedure.