PDA

View Full Version : Best 147gr 9mm?

Eurodriver
10-12-14, 19:44
Got a new suppressor on the way which I bought with my reloading press budget.

I'm looking for the cheapest, but decent quality, 147gr 9mm so I can get the most out of my can. For range trips I'll just shoot supersonic ammo, but for the backyard or showing off I'd like to get some subsonic 9mm that isn't super expensive Gold Dots.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find 147gr 9mm that isn't self defense ammo locally and every place I check online is out of stock. Do I need to begin reloading?

themonk
10-12-14, 19:46
This should help - http://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger/-handgun-147grains-target

lunchbox
10-12-14, 19:50
147gr American Eagle sounds great in my Octane. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-9mm-federal-american-eagle-irt-147gr-tmj-ammo

yellowfin
10-12-14, 19:55
Find a buddy who can load some up for you and trade them a 6 pack of beer for their time. Buy 500 147 grain plated bullets from either Berrys or Xtreme, the primers, and powder. You can have 500 rounds for what you'd pay for 2-3 boxes of factory ammo. You'll want that many EASILY just for the first 2-3 months, maybe even the first 2-3 days. 9x19's are HUNGRY little pets.

Kain
10-12-14, 20:03
sgammo has Win training 147gr ammo for about $15-16 a box depending on howmuch you are buying. Might be an option as well.

lunchbox
10-12-14, 20:13
sgammo has Win training 147gr ammo for about $15-16 a box depending on howmuch you are buying. Might be an option as well.I tried some that stuff thru my G17 and was not as nearly as impressed as with AE. I'd still buy it again, but only if couldn't find AE.

Kain
10-12-14, 20:20
I tried some that stuff thru my G17 and was not as nearly as impressed as with AE. I'd still buy it again, but only if couldn't find AE.

I have heard mixed reports personally, but for range ammo I don't know how much accuracy I would demand. Being honest. If the load will hold pie plate at 25 meters with me being the shooter I am I tend to be happy, unless I am shooting my Beretta 92, then I expect better groups since I do shoot it better than my Glocks. That said, 90% of the 147gr I've shot has been Golden Saber, Ranger SXT, or Gold Dot as I cycled through my carry ammo or tested it for function in my guns. That said. the last time I bought 147gr anything was 18 months ago when I was buying Winchester Ranger Bonded FBI overrun JHP for $17 a box and I just this past week ordered my first case of 9mm ball since the panic. Since I just bought a reloader, single stage, with four sets of pistol dies including 9mm, I am hoping to not have to worry too much about range ammo come three to six months.

ST911
10-12-14, 20:48
Unsuppressed feedback- I see a lot of the Speer Lawman 147 TMJ (53620), the Federal AE 147 FMJ (AE9FP), and the non-toxic AE 147 IRT (AE9N2). A capable shooter can keep all of these in the black on a B8 @ 25 and they are GTG in general. They have been available in the commercial supply chain at Cabelas and Scheels stores if they are local to you, and have also been available online.

lunchbox
10-12-14, 21:03
147gr American Eagle sounds great in my Octane. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-9mm-federal-american-eagle-irt-147gr-tmj-ammo

Unsuppressed feedback- I see a lot of the Speer Lawman 147 TMJ (53620), the Federal AE 147 FMJ (AE9FP), and the non-toxic AE 147 IRT (AE9N2). A capable shooter can keep all of these in the black on a B8 @ 25 and they are GTG in general. They have been available in the commercial supply chain at Cabelas and Scheels stores if they are local to you, and have also been available online.I didn't even know there was two differ types of AE147gr. The link I provided is the IRT and I do not have exp with how quiet it is thru a can. The 147 AR9FP is the one I have exp with, and as mention, it's damn quiet. I also picked up some AE 124gr AE suppressor that I forgot to mention. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/handgun-ammunition/9mm-luger/federal-american-eagle-suppressor-9mm-124gr-fmj-subsonic-50rds-ae9sup1.html.

ST911
10-12-14, 21:46
Euro- You might also check out Federal Classic 147 JHP (9MS). It's been available in their commercial "Classic" packaging, and reclassified/over-run packaging. When a number of FMJ loads were out, it was often available at price points somewhere between a practice load and premium carry ammo.

The Hornady-loaded 147 XTP is also quite good. Many stores carry Critical Defense/Duty have had price reductions on the regular Hornady line.

glocktogo
10-13-14, 02:30
Euro,

Not sure what can you have coming, but if the blast baffle is aluminum, you might want to avoid any of the lead free stuff like the Winchester X9MMSU2. They're notorious for aluminum baffle erosion.

The quietest 147 on the market is Georgia Arms "Canned Heat". It runs $16 per 50 or $155 for 500rds in a bulk ammo can (+ shipping). The Fiocchi 158gr subsonic 9mm is REALLY quiet. SWFA has it in stock for $16.99 per 50rds.

None of it is as quiet out of my AAC Evo9 as my IDPA match load, which is 3.5gr of Winchester WST under a Xtreme 147gr Plated RN at 1.12" OAL. The bonus is that it's a VERY clean load and the gun just wipes clean with a rag and no solvent.

Eurodriver
10-13-14, 07:33
Good catch. I have an Octane 9 HD2 on the way, and I'm 99% sure it is all stainless steel. At least I hope it is. I have an AAC Pilot 2 and it's easily disassembled but it is aluminum. Given how difficult it is to clean sensitive aluminum baffles it's almost like "What's the point?"

I have avoided reloading for a while because I have lived in apartments, but I am moving into my new house next month and it has a nice secure shed outside. (Not really a shed, it is concrete block with a shingle roof) I have big plans for that building, and I really need to get into reloading now that I'm getting into actual long range competition (1000 yards) I just have no idea where to begin. I've got a few books on loads and taken a class on reloading, but I'm still terrified of blowing my gun up. Plus, the initial investment is pretty steep.

Euro- You might also check out Federal Classic 147 JHP (9MS). It's been available in their commercial "Classic" packaging, and reclassified/over-run packaging. When a number of FMJ loads were out, it was often available at price points somewhere between a practice load and premium carry ammo.

The Hornady-loaded 147 XTP is also quite good. Many stores carry Critical Defense/Duty have had price reductions on the regular Hornady line.

This is a good option that I will look into. I'm not above paying a premium for quality ammo, and if it is JHP to boot - all the better. I just didn't want to be dropping $15 a magazine to shoot Gold Dots subsonic.

colt933
10-14-14, 11:58
If you handload try zero FMJ from Roze distributing. About 10.5 cents in qty of 2k delivered

TehLlama
10-14-14, 14:24
I've had pretty good luck with the Winchester RangerT and Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP stuff, and at the prices I happened into those it was really a phenomenal deal. I've been running them out of my defensive unsuppressed 9mm setups just because it's cheap enough I can practice with them a ton and still have plenty to carry.

mizer67
10-17-14, 17:41
IIRC, the speed of sound is around 1,115 fps at sea level. You can find or load 124 grain bullets to that velocity without too much difficulty. You aren't limited to 147's unless that's what you want to shoot.

Some weak 115 gr factory ammo might not even run at that speed.

Eurodriver
10-19-14, 07:26
IIRC, the speed of sound is around 1,115 fps at sea level. You can find or load 124 grain bullets to that velocity without too much difficulty. You aren't limited to 147's unless that's what you want to shoot.

Some weak 115 gr factory ammo might not even run at that speed.

Just want subsonic, I don't care about the weight. Do you know of any factory ammo that fits that criteria that isn't 147gr?

colt933
10-19-14, 08:39
I would be cautious of downloading 124 or 115 loads down to subsonic velocities as there might not be enough pressure to cycle your gun. I have a G26 and a piston can and ended up having to load really hot/high pressure re-sized 158gr projectiles to get the gun to cycle. I couldn't get there with my own 147gr loads, but Winchester Ranger 147 factory loads did work.

mizer67
10-19-14, 13:59
Just want subsonic, I don't care about the weight. Do you know of any factory ammo that fits that criteria that isn't 147gr?

I've shot Aguila 124 gr 9mm and it is on the lighter end of the 124 gr spectrum. 1,115 fps (almost exactly the speed of sound at sea level) is what's listed for that load, per their literature:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506950346/aguila-ammunition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Over my Chrono, it was a little less than that rated speed through a G17, so assuming you're near sea level (which I believe you are), you should be GTG.

Other choices are Remington UMC (1,100 fps):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601815442/remington-umc-ammunition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Magtech (1,109 fps):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1657147216/magtech-sport-ammunition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Speer Lawman (1,090 fps):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/480256/speer-lawman-ammunition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Etc. are others to try.

Regarding the other poster, I've shot >50,000 rounds of 124 gr loads running ~1,080 - ~1,100 fps and never once had a malfunction related to the velocity of the ammunition not being enough to cycle the action. As you can see, factory loadings in 124 grain 9mm are already loaded at below the speed of sound. Obviously that published speed is for a certain barrel in certain test conditions, so YMMV. You do have to watch which gun you're shooting it from at times as a G34 often will pick up enough speed through the longer barrel to exceed the speed of sound, for instance, where a G17 would not. Obviously each gun is different and when you're working close to the edge of the sound barrier it's possible even one identical gun with a faster barrel could possibly exceed the limit. The only way to know for sure is to test it in your gun, preferably over a chrono.

bighawk
10-20-14, 23:18
Check out freedom munitions they have 147gr 9mm for about 230 per 1K and ship quickly. If it's not in stock you can sign up to be notified when it is. I've shot about 2500 rounds of 9, 40 and 556 of theirs in the last 6 months with no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstone
10-21-14, 01:37
I've shot Aguila 124 gr 9mm and it is on the lighter end of the 124 gr spectrum. 1,115 fps (almost exactly the speed of sound at sea level) is what's listed for that load, per their literature:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506950346/aguila-ammunition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Over my Chrono, it was a little less than that rated speed through a G17, so assuming you're near sea level (which I believe you are), you should be GTG.

Other choices are Remington UMC (1,100 fps):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601815442/remington-umc-ammunition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Magtech (1,109 fps):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1657147216/magtech-sport-ammunition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Speer Lawman (1,090 fps):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/480256/speer-lawman-ammunition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Etc. are others to try.

Regarding the other poster, I've shot >50,000 rounds of 124 gr loads running ~1,080 - ~1,100 fps and never once had a malfunction related to the velocity of the ammunition not being enough to cycle the action. As you can see, factory loadings in 124 grain 9mm are already loaded at below the speed of sound. Obviously that published speed is for a certain barrel in certain test conditions, so YMMV. You do have to watch which gun you're shooting it from at times as a G34 often will pick up enough speed through the longer barrel to exceed the speed of sound, for instance, where a G17 would not. Obviously each gun is different and when you're working close to the edge of the sound barrier it's possible even one identical gun with a faster barrel could possibly exceed the limit. The only way to know for sure is to test it in your gun, preferably over a chrono.

It is very dependent on the gun. I worked up a 124gr load with win 231 for a friends g17 that would run the gun under 1100fps. It would not lock back on the last round until I got to 1150 average. The load ended up being 6.0 win 231, cci 400, and mixed brass.

mizer67
10-21-14, 07:22
It is very dependent on the gun. I worked up a 124gr load with win 231 for a friends g17 that would run the gun under 1100fps. It would not lock back on the last round until I got to 1150 average. The load ended up being 6.0 win 231, cci 400, and mixed brass.

Was this verified over a chrono or are you just using book estimates for velocity? In my experience, anything >130 PF will reliably run most guns on factory spring weights.

If your experience were commonplace, most of the factory 124 gr standard pressure ammo wouldn't reliably cycle guns.