PDA

View Full Version : Help before I spend the coin.

dragonbat13
10-14-14, 15:38
Sometime next week I plan on ordering this:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-KEYMOD-p/bcm-urg-mid-16-bfh-ssk12g2.htm

I like the MI handguard for the Quick Detach points. The upper will be going on a Franklin Armory stripped lower I already have with integrated QD points in front of the stock, so I figured it would match well. Any reason not to go with this upper? Plan on using the BCM bolt carrier group also.

I also wanted to order the Ambi gunfighter charging handle with it. Any downfall to this charging handle?

I have been wanting this upper for quite awhile. However its been a few months since I have been in the firearm scene with my other projects (money pit muscle car). So I just wanted to make sure I wasnt wasting money.

Also, I have the Magpul UBR collapsible stock to go with the Franklin Lower to balance out the weight of the Mid Length Gov Profile Barrel. Other than that, I dont have anything for the lower.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the Help.

tonyxcom
10-14-14, 16:07
I'd suggest you get the version with the KMR rail. The KMR is a superior rail, just short of integrated QD sockets when compared to the MI. But everything else from the weight, the mounting system, the length, and the keymod slots on the 45's.

dragonbat13
10-14-14, 16:23
I need to check into the KMR rail before I buy. When I was last looking around I believe it wasnt released yet, but it was around the corner.

I see they are out of the 15" right now. But the 13" is in stock. If I were to go with the KMR, should I hold out for the longer rail?

birdkiller
10-14-14, 16:25
I have both the MI SSK and the KMR. The KMR while lighter, isn't insanely lighter, but I like the mounting system a little better. Not that there's been a problem.

My biggest recommendation would be on the barrel. Between the KMR and SSK the weight is negligible, but I would seriously consider looking at a lightweight barrel depending on what you want the rifle for.

Also, the way my rifle is currently setup, the UBR isn't doing it for me. It's adding weight that I don't want, and if you get a LW barrel really don't need. I'd rather set up a LW barrel with either handguard and the new BCM stock/Magpul SL/B5 Bravo than the government profile barrel and UBR. But that's just me.

I ended up getting the KMR upper since I wanted the enhanced light weight profile.

Crappy pics of my SSK rifle incase your setup would look similar:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/14/99ec72212c9d098597aff97da464e0ae.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/14/c8807baa3c08d9b87ffe15ef1f6c455c.jpg

Hemoglobin
10-14-14, 16:58
I really am enjoying the new MI M-lok rail. I don't have first hand exp with the KMR or the MI SSK and I haven't been to a class since I transitioned over. Just some informal shooting. That said, now that I know the profile of the m-lok and KM hand guards is pretty much the heat(at least for me).... I am pretty interested in a crazy light weight build with a KMR... even though I hate key holes on principle.

Dormsauce
10-14-14, 17:34
Dont know much about the upper you're looking at but with others comparing it to the KMR id have to say go with the KMR (biased as i just got one). My Enhanced light weight fluted barrel upper last Wed and i could not be happier with the purchase. I ended up going with the 13" and rail and love it, the thing is so light and sexy! lol.

dragonbat13
10-14-14, 17:44
One of the things I wanted with this rifle was a forged barrel, with the government profile. Being an AK shooter, and not really seeing myself carrying this rifle long distances, extreme lightness is not the main goal. The reason for the choice of the MI rail was because it is round. I was at a gun shop last spring and I held some rifles with older quad rails, and one with free floating tube. I prefered the way the tube felt in the hand over all the others. I see the KMR is an octagon shape. IDK if I would like that or not.

Also, I should note, as of now I dont intend on mounting anything to the rail. I could very well do just fine with a free float hunting type tube. However I do want to run BUIS, dont want to use an iron front sight, and kinda liked the QD (although I do understand that the KMR could have a QD attachment installed). I still think I like the SSK for what I want.

FWIW, I guess you could say this rifle is a range gun mostly. AND it wont be the last one I build. But I do want the added durability of the hammer forged barrel in the government profile.

dragonbat13
10-14-14, 17:57
BOY, you leave the firearm scene for a little while and everything changes! I am just finding that the M-Lok and the Keymod are two seperate systems. Also, from what I have read so far I kinda like the M-Lok over the Keymod. I gotta do some research on the handguards, thats for sure.

As far as the UBR stock. I already have that. So I may as well try it out and swap it out later if need be.

The other question I had was the lower. Any new parts kits out? Any recommendations on that? My original plan was to use colt parts with the exception of going with a Geissele trigger group.

What about a pistol grip?

Hemoglobin
10-14-14, 18:18
I would hit Grant up for a colt kit sans FCG and do the G trigger. I put a white oak in my last build but I had it before those popped up and its a "learn to shoot past 100 yards" gun. Or maybe a "go sit in a tree with my brother-in-law" gun. Have no complaints, but I would have got the kit from Grant.

Grip is subjective. I like the B5/UCWRG grips because they fit my hand and I can stipple it to the texture I want. Around here theres about 10 places that carry all the Magpul options. So I would think you could feel a few of those at least.

HeliPilot
10-14-14, 18:53
I was pretty torn between the KMR and MK8 M-Lok as well. I did alot of reading about KMR reviews and seeing as how I already have a Geissele SMR MK1 I settled on the KMR first. I was attempting to make a lightweight rifle so I got a 14.5 ELW-F with a 13" KMR. So far I am very impressed with the rifle overall. It handles great, is very lightweight, and accurate as well.

The KMR specifically is a great handguard. It is very lightweight, fits well in the hand, and I like the offset mounting points, ie the 45° slots. Although it doesnt have integrated QD points, the BCM keymod sling mount is excellent and very low profile.

I wouldnt worry too much about the UBR. I have one on one of my other rifles and like it very much. Depending on what barrel you decide on itll most likely balance out fine, if anything a little rear heavy. Since you already own it Id put that $250 to use.

As far as the rest of the lower, Geissele triggers are excellent. Im using the SD3G now, and will soon be putting an SDC on my MK18. The break is clean and crisp and reset is short and precise. The pistol grip is kinda hit or miss and alot of personal opinion. Everyones hands are different so what works for me may not for you. That being said Ive tried the MOE, MOE+, MOE K, the BCM, and a few others. Ive settled on the MOEK for my SBR, and MOE for my 14.5. youll just have to try them till you find one you like.

dragonbat13
10-15-14, 17:41
Well, I think I am going to go ahead with the KMR in 13 inch, or 15 inch if they have it in stock when I order. Not very concerned with the extra two inches.

Friday I am going to order a Colt LPK minus trigger. When I order the Upper I think I am going to order the Geissele SDC. I dont want the super lightweight trigger of the SD3G. I just hope the come back in stock soon with the SDC. Ill just use the pistol grip that comes with the Colt kit for the meantime.

I did want to go with the Ambi charging handle, but IDK if thats a good idea or not. Any thoughts?

Thats gonna leave me with just these things: Scope mounts for a 4X scope (30MM), BUIS, and most importantly the buffer system. The buffer system is what I am going to research tonight.

cfrock
10-15-14, 18:24
I'm a BCM fan over all. That said, you should take a hard look at the Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle. Its easily the best available in my opinion. Have fun.

tonyxcom
10-15-14, 20:45
You should just use a standard carbine buffer if you have plans to use weaker ammo like PMC bronze. If you plan on feeding it good full power 556 then you should be able to run the heavier h2 buffer for a little bit smoother shooting.

TexanInCali
10-15-14, 23:44
Why not just use an H buffer? That's what BCM specs for every one of their full carbines. I put an H in my BCM 16" SS410 middy and it's been flawless with everything from 55gr FMJ to 77gr OTM. I honestly didn't notice much difference from the carbine buffer that came with my Vltor iMod kit as far as smoothness.

As far as the charging handle, I have the BCM Ambi Mod44 and love it. That said, the Rainier Arms Raptor is another excellent option. It really comes down to personal preference, but I'd personally be well pleased with either.