PDA

View Full Version : telescopic stocks: any good?

sernv99
06-20-08, 13:22
anyone shoot a shotgun with a telescopic butt stock? I just got an email from someone who offered me a new Fabarm SAT 8 tactical with the telescopic stock but wanted some opinions on the feel of the telescopic stock.

how does the gun shoot with the telescopic stock (Benelli m4, etc)?

a308garand
07-02-08, 21:19
I have not found telescoping stocks nice to shoot with full power defense loads. Heck, even folding stocks and plain pistol grips are no fun.
They do offer the ability to fit different sized people to the shotgun. Also the ability to fit the shotgun for use while wearing bulky equipment vs. street clothes.

I would stick with a standard buttstock, but your mileage may vary;)

citizensoldier16
08-09-08, 18:20
I have a friend who's a police officer who's got a Mossberg 500 with a telescopic stock on it. Personally, I hate shooting the damn thing. I can't get a good sight picture with it, and if I press my cheek against it and fire it, it hurts a little. I prefer the good old wood stocks.

lexmedic157
08-09-08, 18:30
Here's a good option

http://www.knoxx.com/products/SpecOps_Stock.php

vigilant2
08-10-08, 05:57
I have the Mesa-Tactical telescoping M4 stock on my Remington 870 express.
Its the LEO profile with their Enidine recoil-reducing bufferand Hogue pistol grip. It shoots softer than my Franchi 612VS semi-auto shotgun with full power loads. As 308grand said the adjustability from person to person and gear are nice.
The first time I took it out to the range I took my friend and his 16yr old son who had
never shot any firearm in his life. His son could'nt get enough of shooting the
shotgun, he loved it. Didn't have any shoulder complaints afterwards.

MassMark
08-10-08, 07:59
Well, I thought that new Mossy entry shotgun was pretty evil looking before I shot it and was considering buying one - until I pulled the trigger. My big melon draped over that M4 stock was not such a great combination.... :p

Dan Goodwin
08-10-08, 08:30
If you can shoot the shotgun before purchase do so. It's got to work for you, it doesn't really matter what our experiences have been.

FWIW, I've got one work gun with the MT/Enidine and one with a Hogue Bantam. Both work OK for me...

impure
08-16-08, 22:11
I just bought an 870 about a month ago. it was set up for hunting with the twenty six inch barrel and all wood furniture. i just put the mesa tactical leo stock on it as well as a shorter eighteen inch barrel this last week and put thirty five rounds through it today ten of those rounds were hollowpoint deer slugs. the stock does not have the hydro recoil buffer tube or any type of pad on the but of it. just the hard plastic. after putting those rounds through it i was not hurting too bad. considering the last time i shot anything that hurt me was when i was about eleven shooting my dads 30-06. i do admit the sighting in is a bit different and difficult if you don't look down the gun right. but i was able to hit 40.oz bottles of beer consistently with slugs today at about twenty yds. with the slugs. all i have is the bead sights as well without any type of rifling in the barrel

Gutshot John
08-16-08, 22:47
I have a Knoxx Recoil reduction stock on my 870.

Relative to a collapsible M4 stock, it's not the same animal in terms of collapsing. If you're expecting the same it will disappoint.

In terms of recoil reduction it KICKS ASS. I really like this stock.

The sight picture is slightly off when fully collapsed unless you use a ghost ring (I have a bead sight) but that's less an issue with a shotgun.

Fully extended the bead lines up perfectly.

jsebens
09-01-08, 11:55
I was running (on an 870) the Knoxx SpecOps, but recently abandoned that for the Mesa Tactical stock adapter (that lets you mount AR stocks) and the Magpul M93B stock. Huge improvement; I'd call the Knoxx "good enough" for casual use, but the Mesa adapter and Magpul stock make a BIG difference in terms of durability (and balance).

fred
09-20-08, 01:52
I'm not a fan of the Knoxx Stock. It seemed to cause many of our troops to short-stroke. I put many rounds through them before going back to our Remington PG stocks. Also, they broke quickly. I would definitely sample some before spending $$$.
I have no experience with the Mesa Tactical stocks, but I can enthusiastically recommend Mesa Tactical as a great company to deal with. They are awesome.

Gutshot John
09-20-08, 13:37
It seemed to cause many of our troops to short-stroke.

I don't dispute anything you said, I'm just curious what causes the short-stroke?

In my experience short-stroking is more of a training issue/operator error, but I'd be curious if you'd elaborate if there is a mechanical problem that effects this or elaborate further.