PDA

View Full Version : Army solvent tank solvent?

Cadot
10-15-14, 02:00
Howdy guys, I'm trying to find out the contents of the solvent tanks that I've been able to use to clean issued weapons after heavy use. I didn't have the mind to check the MSDS last time I was in, and don't see myself being in there again for a little while, so I thought I'd pick your brains in the meantime.

The solvent had a dark brown color and would strip anything from God's good earth off of weapons. It'd leave metal bone-dry and slightly discolor plastic. It'd also do a number on skin, which is why we'd wear heavy-duty rubber gloves while using the stuff. Really hardcore stuff. Also, the solvent was recycled through some sort of pump/filter system and was applied to weapons with a hose-equipped horsehair brush (or something of the like). I'd kinda like to use something similar on my personal weapons every once and a while, but have yet to figure out what it is or if there's anything out there similar to it on the market.

Thanks.

kremtok
10-15-14, 02:11
I know what you mean. It's called a parts washer. A quick Google search led me to these results, which are probably pretty comprehensive: http://www.grainger.com/category/parts-washer-cleaners-and-solvents/automotive-lifting-garage-equipment/fleet-and-vehicle-maintenance/ecatalog/N-cuy

Not trying to be a smartass at all, but I only used one once and I really don't know much more about them.

halmbarte
10-15-14, 03:30
McMaster-Carr sells the solvent tanks with pumps. Ain't cheap though: http://www.mcmaster.com/#solvent-tanks/=u5qg0o

H

Airhasz
10-15-14, 03:50
You can make your own parts washer from an old sink and an electric fuel pump. I think op just wants to know what the chemical is that he uses in the military. I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner to hose down grimy parts including guns if nessecary, should do what you are wanting.

mack7.62
10-15-14, 07:54
Likely Tetrachlorethylene and it starts out clear.

GTF425
10-15-14, 07:58
Or just do what a retarded Platoon Sergeant of mine did years ago and put CLP in it.

And no, I'm not joking. Dude went full retard.

Averageman
10-15-14, 08:48
I believe we used to call that "Dry Cleaning Solvent".
If it is, wear your gloves an apron and eye pro as you can get a chemical burn from that stuff.
I've used about everything the Military has to clean weapons, that stuff works great but it is pretty damned nasty. I believe it may have even been recalled at one time for being so bad for you if you get exposure.

KalashniKEV
10-15-14, 12:00
The solvent tanks were COTS and so was the solvent.

They may have used this:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/solvents/5-gallon-tank-solvent-sku083034640-1135-4046.aspx

Averageman
10-15-14, 12:50
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...1135-4046.aspx
"Leaves a slightly oily coating to protect against rust. Almost odorless. Stable and non-corrosive. Extremely slow evaporation; stays in your tank."

It wasn't this stuff, the liquid in the parts cleaning tanks purpose was to clean parts as in engine, brakes, hubs, not necassarily for weapons. The stuff in those tanks would evaporate quickly and leave any exposed skin chalky white.

Cadot
10-15-14, 13:00
I appreciate all the replies.

Building a solvent tank pump system is on my bucket list, I just gotta figure out what the chemical is. Averageman is spot on. The chemical evaporates very quickly and gives skin a strange chalky/clammy feel.

KalashniKEV
10-15-14, 13:24
It wasn't this stuff...

It was PRF-680:

http://www.ecolink.com/wp-content/uploads/PD-680-replaced-by-PRF-680.jpg

We used that stuff though.

DBR
10-15-14, 14:13
One solvent I have seen mentioned in the Mil maintenance instructions is "Stoddard solvent" otherwise known as "odorless paint thinner". It is available at most hardware stores, Home Depot etc. It is flammable and evaporates slowly compared to things like alcohol, lacquer thinner, triclor, acetone etc.

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit

Cadot
10-15-14, 20:37
Hmmmmm....

I did some googling and found out that MIL-PRF-680 is simply a standard set by the Army for cleaning chemicals and whatnot. There are a lot of different chemicals that fall under the PRF-180 umbrella. It at least puts me in the right direction though.

hals1
10-15-14, 20:47
Stoddard solvent is basically "odorless mineral spirits". Get it in any paint department.

NWPilgrim
10-15-14, 23:10
If the solvent you worked with evaporated quickly and left chalky skin it might have had acetone in it, either as a component or DIY add-in. It helps break up carbon but is very harsh on skin. Ed's Red bore cleaner include acetone for this reason as an optional ingredient. At least on me acetone leaves a kind of whitesh aftermath when it evaporates (quickly).

MistWolf
10-15-14, 23:43
There are a lot better cleaning solvents available today that are less harsh to your body and the environment

Cadot
10-16-14, 00:12
There are a lot better cleaning solvents available today that are less harsh to your body and the environment

That's a good point. I'm not even sure that if I find what I'm looking for that I'd even be able to purchase it privately. The main reasons for me wanting to find out what it is is that it that if left absolutely no residue behind and stripped anything and everything off weapons.

Is there anything you could recommend with those same properties?

Iraqgunz
10-16-14, 02:05
You're wasting time and energy with the old guard SS mentality of cleaning.

Averageman
10-16-14, 04:10
The Best Safest and Cheapest stuff to start with is usually hot as you can stand it soapy water and a stiff nylon brush. It may not get everything initially, but it does a lot better in the long run than starting with a solvent or other petroleum based cleaners.
This has allowed me to get the initial large stuff off, then simply apply high pressure water in to hard to get places and if it is hot enough and soapy enough you'll get an amazing amount of oil, burnt powder and dirt off your weapons pretty quickly.