PDA

View Full Version : TA33R-8 vs. TA31RCO M4CP

Ron S.
06-20-08, 15:49
Which seems the better option? Other than 3x vs. 4x, what's the "big diff" ? I like the look of the M4CP better, but I don't know if I like it $290 more. I understand there's a difference in the reticles, but they're both red chevrons, and I'm not sure what the difference is. Can't seem to find out on Trijicon's site.

So can someone explain the difference between the two (again, other than the magnification)? Also, what's the advantage of the "hooded" look vs. straight on the R-8? Just more flare resistance?''

Also, and this is a minor thing, but I kinda liked getting the Pelican case for the scope. Then, I find out that the "nicer, more expensive" ACOG only comes with a cloth/nylon pouch. :( What the heck? Is it because it's for the Marines, and the case would be rather pointless in the field?

Battl3fr0nt
06-21-08, 08:13
Check out the TA31F it is cheaper.. I got mine for $950 and it is the same thing as the M4CP the same BDC system anyway and it has the Chevron, I find that to be the best for getting good groups.. and it comes with the pelican case.. if you need to know where to get it for that price just let me know..

Ron S.
06-21-08, 12:09
That sounds fine, but that's only $40 cheaper than I'd be getting the rco-m4cp for. You're saying the 31F is still the better choice?

Battl3fr0nt
06-21-08, 19:42
Well the only thing that makes the TA31F better then the TA31 RCO-M4CP is it does not have the lines on the right and left side.. But they both cost about the same so really its up to you.. but besides that they are the same thing so if you find the TA31 RCO-M4CP cheaper then go with that but still check them both out and see for urself all the TA31 RCO-A4CP have this flaw that makes the right side lines blurry so that is another reason I guess..

Battl3fr0nt
06-21-08, 19:51

bullitt5172
07-11-08, 18:25
Well the only thing that makes the TA31F better then the TA31 RCO-M4CP is it does not have the lines on the right and left side.. But they both cost about the same so really its up to you.. but besides that they are the same thing so if you find the TA31 RCO-M4CP cheaper then go with that but still check them both out and see for urself all the TA31 RCO-A4CP have this flaw that makes the right side lines blurry so that is another reason I guess..

The blurry right hand side is not a flaw, it's part of the design. ACOG's are parallax free (vertically) so the BDC is unaffected by parallax. By doing so, the right hand of the windage hash marks looks blurry. All ACOG's are this way, you just don't notice it without the hash marks.

I like the TA31F a little better - but the RCO has the killFLASH, pouch, lanyard attached adjustment caps and scopecoat.

MaceWindu
07-12-08, 00:37
I like the TA31F a little better

Me too!

Mace

rob_s
07-12-08, 08:53
Of the two choices in the OP, I'd take the TA33R-8. I have one I got from G&R in a Larue mount and am very happy with it for what it is.

I prefer it to the 4x models because it's lighter and faster.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/BIB-starboard.jpg

1.5x compact on left, TA33R-8 on right
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/1.5XVS3X.jpg

twodollarbill
07-12-08, 11:53
I found that the chevron on the TA33-8 was visually too small (for me).
I like the TA31F I got from Grant. He gave me a hell of a price too.

decodeddiesel
07-12-08, 12:29
I have looked through the TA33-8, and a TA31RCO side by side. It seemed the TA31RCO is basically a TA31F with a few little tweaks. I was issued a TA01-NSN, and then a TA31F last time I was in the sandbox so I have a lot of practical experience with the optic. The TA01 is simply not fit for CQB of any kind, end of story. The TA31F is a little better as it has the illuminated reticle eg the BAC, and it has a little better eye relief. Still though it is large and heavy, the 4x is just too much for any kind of speed work at close range, and the FOV is so huge it is easy to get "lost" in the image trying to find your target. Also the eye relief is very short compared to the TA33-8. The TA31F is a lot less forgiving as to where your cheek weld must be, you have to get it right or else you're only seeing part of the picture.

That being said the TA33-8 solves most if not all of these problems. The unit is very light and compact, very "flickable" almost like an Aimpoint. Remember it's basically a compact ACOG with an add-on magnification component. The eye relief is huge and very forgiving, there's about a 2" margin of error in the eye relief, and the exit pupil is very large, you get a lot more slop available in your cheek weld. This means you can fire easily from many different non-traditional positions without wrestling with the optic. The limited FOV in combination with the low magnification actually helps immensely with the CQB work, it sounds weird but it works. It keeps you a lot more "focused" as it were with the BAC. Also you can get a killflash for it, and due to the straight tube design you can get butler creek flip-up caps for it.

To sum it up, the TA31 is very well suited for a Recce type build where medium range rules, and CQB is not the primary use of the optic/carbine. The TA33-8 is an Aimpoint replacement, basically an evolution of the compact ACOG. It works very for CQB work, and still lets you do longer range work when needed.

ETA: I also got mine for about $730 local, but Cal's sporting armory has them for a good price too

Battl3fr0nt
07-13-08, 08:02
Of the two choices in the OP, I'd take the TA33R-8. I have one I got from G&R in a Larue mount and am very happy with it for what it is.

I prefer it to the 4x models because it's lighter and faster.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/BIB-starboard.jpg

1.5x compact on left, TA33R-8 on right
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/1.5XVS3X.jpg

Its not light enuff to make it faster then the other ACOG's.. I think even a Heavy TA11 is just as fast as the TA31F and TA33 and the TA31F and TA33 are lighter then the TA11.. They are all the same speed.. they are all nothing like a scope, you dont get that black out on any of them, I have used them TA31F I own and I have use the TA11,TA33 but never used any of the copact models.. I would think they would be best in CQB do to the lower power but that would be the only reason..

rob_s
07-13-08, 08:33
You misunderstood me. I did not mean to imply that it's faster because it's lighter. It's faster because of the lower power. The 1.5x is faster than the 3x is faster than the 4x.

bullitt5172
07-13-08, 09:20
You misunderstood me. I did not mean to imply that it's faster because it's lighter. It's faster because of the lower power. The 1.5x is faster than the 3x is faster than the 4x.

Rob is right, the lower power and better eyerelief make the compacts slightly faster than the 4X's.

Failure2Stop
07-13-08, 14:05
Rob is right, the lower power and better eyerelief make the compacts slightly faster than the 4X's.

Replace the word in red with "noticeably" or "significantly" and I agree.

I usually prefer long eye-relief over shorter, and large exit pupil over smaller. These factors greatly and distinctly affect how quickly the sight can be used, under realistic conditions.

The traditional format of the TA33 allow the use of flip-up lens covers, the lack of which is an annoyance to me.

I greatly prefer the cross-hair reticle as on the TA31DOC or TRD, especially if you are going to be using a Mini Red Dot in some way (which you really should for numerous reasons).

Anyway, just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.