PDA

View Full Version : Wild Game Chefs post your favorite recipes after the kill!

MBtech
10-16-14, 22:41
Big antlers are great, so are long beards, and big mean tusks.
What about after the kill and all your preperation, practicing, and hard work are chilling in the freezer?

I am all about a good meal. Obviously across the country we do things a little different from the culture we live in, "Philly Cheese Steak" "Chicago Hot Dogs" "New York style Pizza" "Southern Fried" ... etc
How do you prepare your favorite dish you worked so hard for?

With that said I'll share one of my favorites

GRILLED LOIN WITH BROWN SUGAR BASTE

2-4 lbs deer, antelope, elk, or moose loin portion or whole backstrap
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar

Start charcoal briquets in grill. Remove all fat and silverskin from meat. Cut into lengths about 4" long, or about 6-8oz each. In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add soy sauce and brown sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until brown sugar desolves and sauce bubbles.

When charcoal is ready, place meat on grate, grill on one side until seared. Turn meat over; brush with brown sugar mixture. Continue grilling, brushing frequently with brown sugar mixture and turning occasionally to grill all sides, until desired doneness.

I know this isn't a cooking forum, but it is something I look very forward to when it comes to hunting season just as much as a wall trophy... if not more.

SeriousStudent
10-16-14, 23:20

I know this isn't a cooking forum, but it is something I look very forward to when it comes to hunting season just as much as a wall trophy... if not more.

Damn good idea, if you ask me.

We ought to get mark5pt56 and bgoode to chime in, I bet they have some very good venison recipes. I'll call my uncle, and get his. He could convert a deer into an amazingly tasty dish.

MBtech
10-16-14, 23:38
The more the merrier! :)

thopkins22
10-17-14, 02:27
I don't usually marinade tenderloins and backstraps, because they don't need it and most of mine come from doe...salt and pepper and proper sear/final temp. But on the occasional buck I'll do one of the following recipes. The real key with tenderloin is to LEAVE IT RARE!!! If you overcook red meat, you are wrong. Always. Particularly with wild game which tends to be quite lean.

Also of note is that if you don't process your own animals, to bribe the processing guy to let yours hang for at least a week and preferably two. It will dramatically improve the quality of your venison. I'd also suggest that other than leaving the backstraps and tenderloins whole(please don't ruin these) don't get too caught up trying to replicate your favorite beef cuts. Lots of a deer is really only suited to be ground or made into sausage.

Venison
A)
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp Dijon mustard

B)
1 beer minus a big swig for the chef
1 tbsp A1
1 tsp Worcestershire
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 pinch dry mustard(I like Colman's)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp black pepper
and a pinch of cayenne

C)Salt Lick Dry Rub. I'm sure it's not complicated to replicate, but I've never succeeded.

I do like chimichurri on almost all cuts though. It's not a marinade, but is delightful on most red meat.

2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fresh chopped parsley, lightly packed
1 cup fresh chopped mint, lightly packed
1 small hot chile, minced
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste

Redfish/flounder, I really think two best ways are to either;

A) grill in aluminum foil with lots of butter, lemon, and maybe some herbs until the meat easily pulls up and is no longer translucent

B)pan fry in oil after battering with egg and a mixture of flour, panko breadcrumbs(don't substitute something else, the panko really are that much better,) and Tony Chachere's or whatever impostor of a creole seasoning you have locally.

Speckled trout, or other large filets of a delicate fish that for some reason you don't want to grill or fry, this is worth trying from time to time.

Baked Trout with Shiitake Mushrooms, Tomatoes, and Ginger
Nonstick cooking spray
2 whole rainbow trout (about 12 ounces each), cleaned, boned, butterflied
2 green onions, chopped
2 large fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
Fresh cilantro sprigs

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil; coat with nonstick spray. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Open fish like a book and arrange, skin side down, on prepared baking sheet.
Mix next 5 ingredients in bowl. Sprinkle mixture over fish, drizzle with soy sauce and sesame oil, then top with cilantro sprigs. Bake uncovered until fish is opaque in center, about 20 minutes(in my experience 15 is getting you damned close in most ovens so pay attention.)

Quail/Dove
Breast them.
Slice a bunch of jalapeņo's
stick a jalapeņo slice in the breast cavity
wrap with good bacon(I tend to think you need to start the bacon in the oven so that it isn't limp at the end
stick a toothpick through it to hold it together
grill

Will pull up some others that have left me fat and happy tomorrow maybe. Looking forward to seeing what all the membership here does that I want to try!

steyrman13
10-17-14, 06:03
[QUOTE=thopkins22;2009134

Also of note is that if you don't process your own animals, to bribe the processing guy to let yours hang for at least a week and preferably two. It will dramatically improve the quality of your venison. I'd also suggest that other than leaving the backstraps and tenderloins whole(please don't ruin these) don't get too caught up trying to replicate your favorite beef cuts. Lots of a deer is really only suited to be ground or made into sausage.

[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way for this. Also of note, when I process my own, instead of hanging because it usually isn't cold enough here, I cut cubes about 1-2" in size all of the meet other than blackstrap and tenderloins and then put them in ziplock bags full of water, same for the tenderloins/back straps. Then when the water turns bloody, drain and refill. Repeat this for about 4-7 days until the water becomes relatively clear and the meet isn't maroon red any longer. Serves the same purpose to remove the excess blood from the meet which leads the the over gamey flavor.

I'll post some recipes of mine soon. I just wanted to add or supplement this. If I could, letting it hang would be MUCH easier and less time consuming.

MBtech
10-17-14, 11:09
BIG GAME BAKED ROUND STEAK

2-3 lbs deer, elk, antelope, or moose round steak 1" thick
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tspns salt
1/4 tspn pepper
1-2 tblsp butter or magarine
2-3 tblsp olive oil or veg oil
3 tblsp finely chopped onion
Brown sugar
Ketchup
Dried basil leaves
1 tblsp butter or margarine , cut up
1/4 cup venison stock or beef broth

Heat oven to 350, trim meat, cut into serving size pieces. Pound to 1/2" thickness with meat mallet. On a sheet of wax paper, mix flour, salt, and pepper. Dip steaks in flour mixture, turning to coat. In large skillet, melt 1 tblsp butter with 2 tblsp oil over med/high heat. Add coated steaks; brown on both sides. Arrange browned steaks in 12x8 baking pan. Sprinkle with onion. Top each steak with 1 tsp packed brown sugar and 1 tsp ketchup. Sprinkle lightly with basil. Dot with 1 tblsp butter. Add stock to drippings in skillet. Cook over med heat for about one minute. Add stock to baking pan, cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes or until browned on top.

MBtech
10-17-14, 11:45
I cut this one out of a Field & Stream magazine years ago

DOVES FROM HELL

Coated in a habanero mustard sauce, these are definitely not the birds of peace

Habanero mustard sauce:
1/3 cup yellow mustard
2-8 hanenaro peppers, seeded and chopped (be careful here) 2 will make it spicy, 8 will make it scalding
2 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 scallions (both green and white sections) finely chopped
pinch of allspice
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp dried oregano
3 tbsp freshly cracked black pepper
2 tbsp kosher salt
Combine ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.

1lb dove breast (about 15 doves)

Start a med/hot fire in your grill. Pour the sauce over the dove breasts in a bowl and evenly coat them. Grill the breasts turning occasionally until well browned, about 4 minutes per side (125 internal temp is ideal). Let them cool for a few minutes and squeeze a lime half over them and toss them with 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro.

MBtech
10-20-14, 20:40
Jerky tip...
Instead of laying your strips of meat across the grates...
Stick a toothpick in one end and hang them from the grates, get a lot more done and save space.

MBtech
10-20-14, 20:50
I know you all have to have some venison Chili recipes.

SeriousStudent
10-20-14, 21:43
I know you all have to have some venison Chili recipes.

Working on it! :)

And I love elk jerky with a passion.

MBtech
10-20-14, 22:43
Freeze a sirloin tip roast, let thaw just enough to make some nice even sliced cuts with a firm piece of slightly frozen meat,..easily cut 1/4" thick strips with a fillet or boning knife this way,...marinade and prepare to your liking, I prefer a smoker for making jerky.

MBtech
10-20-14, 23:39

One I've enjoyed many times over the years, hope you can view pic ok.
Wife won't let me give out her family recipe :)

MBtech
10-21-14, 17:12
VENISON MEATLOAF SUPREME

2 lbs deer, antelope, elk, or moose burger
2 cups soft bread crumbs
1/2 cup venison stock or beef broth
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp dried crushed sage leaves
1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp pepper
2 small tomatoes, peeled, halved, and seeded

Heat oven to 325. Grease 9x5" loaf pan; set aside. In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except tomatoes; mix well. Pat half of meat mixture into prepared pan. Arrange tomatoes on meat mixture, leaving 1/2" around the edges of pan. Spread remaining meat mixture over tomatoes, pressing well around edges to seal. Bake until well browned, about 1 1/2 hrs. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove to serving platter... Enjoy.

Blinking Dog
10-22-14, 13:30
My favorite is also the easiest... After you take down your deer and clean it, eat those backstraps that day. No freezing. Fresh, grilled meat is fantastic in my opinion. Previously frozen meat needs all the wacky marinades and what not. Fresh meat doesn't.

When I hunted in Africa we ate plains game fresh the same way, although I think the chef "marinaded" the meat in Coca Cola for a while first. Then it went straight over the coals from a wood fire. Fantastic.

MBtech
10-22-14, 15:08
My favorite is also the easiest... After you take down your deer and clean it, eat those backstraps that day. No freezing. Fresh, grilled meat is fantastic in my opinion. Previously frozen meat needs all the wacky marinades and what not. Fresh meat doesn't.

When I hunted in Africa we ate plains game fresh the same way, although I think the chef "marinaded" the meat in Coca Cola for a while first. Then it went straight over the coals from a wood fire. Fantastic.

I do the same with rabbits too. Clean em cook em eat em
I do like some BBQ basting on the grill with them

MBtech
10-25-14, 01:55
Wild Turkey Breast?

MBtech
10-25-14, 02:00
delete

MBtech
12-19-14, 22:43
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/shredded-venison-sandwiches#.

My wife made these today for dinner, awesome sandwiches!

MBtech
02-22-15, 23:42
delete

MBtech
04-21-16, 23:43
Excellent wild turkey recipe. Our season comes in next week can't wait to have this again

Grilled Marinated Turkey Breasts

Boneless breast meat from one wild turkey
2/3 cup soy sauce
1cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Lawrey's Seasoning Salt
Adolph's Meat Tenderizer

Slice the breast meat lengthwise to create fillets that are about 1/2 inch thick. Make a marinade by combining the soy sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, honey and garlic in mixing bowl. Sprinkle the fillets with the seasoning salt and meat tenderizer, then transfer the meat to a zip-seal plastic freezer bag. Pour the marinade into the bag with the turkey and seal. Turn to coat all the pieces of meat, and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove the fillets from the marinade, drain and grill over a medium-hot fire for approximately 10 minutes per side or until done to taste.