PDA

View Full Version : stuck bolt carrier malfunction

higgens
10-17-14, 18:26
Shooting standard prone, I had a malfunction where the bolt carrrier group would not cycle. The rifle fired and the bcg moved back slightly so you could see some brass but the bcg was frozen. The charging handle was free to move back and forth up to the bcg but it would not pull the bcg back any further. I could not see anything causing the jam. I had to mortar it to get the brass to eject but the bcg was still stuck back after the brass ejected. I drenched it with some CLP, then used a flathead screwdriver to pry the carrier forward. Inspecting the upper, charging handle, bolt, and carrier there was no damage or any marks. I wiped them down with a rag, sprayed some clp, and shot another mag full with no issues but a bunch of smoke the first few rounds.

I only shoot brass case and there was under 1k rounds since a cleaning. I use grease to lubricate and there was still grease on the bcg when I wiped it all down. This jam happended with privi partizan m193 and a colt usgi 20 round mag. What do you think was the cause and how would you have cleared this malfunction? Looking back, I wonder if the forward assist would have worked instead of a screwdriver.

Iraqgunz
10-17-14, 18:34
How about more information? Who makes the barrel? Did you assemble this thing? Did you see a blown primer somewhere?

higgens
10-17-14, 19:18
It is all BCM with one of their BFH uppers. I cant give you any information on the primer.

markm
10-17-14, 19:21
Likely a blown primer lodged in a crappy place. I had this happen when a bolt lug broke off and landed in a crappy place.

Jiggle the gun in various angles and see if the piece that's got you locked up will free up.

midSCarolina
10-17-14, 21:17
Likely a blown primer lodged in a crappy place. I had this happen when a bolt lug broke off and landed in a crappy place.

Jiggle the gun in various angles and see if the piece that's got you locked up will free up.

Probably this.... i had a really bad time with blown primers on some federal ammo that I bought one time (probably 2-5 blown per 100) and those things will cause malfunctions if they get in the wrong place. All of that smoke was likely some of that extra lubrication you had dumped in there burning off.