PDA

View Full Version : Noob ammo

Veracity
06-20-08, 22:08
To all,

I know that everything is relative and situational, but please try to answer these questions anyway.

There are all sorts of opinions regarding ammo....what's good, what's not good...short stroke, fouling, etc.

What tends to be the preferred ammo for shooting at the range? (50-100 yds)

How about home defense or SHTF?

I've always used 55 grain. By the looks of the forum, I'd say I'm in the minority there.

Please let me know what you think.

CLHC
06-20-08, 22:18
Hopefully the following two links could be of some help.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15504

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13816

Enjoy!

ToddG
06-20-08, 22:36
Anatomically, noobs are like anyone else. Therefore, you'd use the same ammo on them that you'd use to shoot anyone else.

Or am I not understanding the question?
:cool:

bullitt5172
06-20-08, 23:17
I've shot over 6k rounds of Wolf 55gr ammo over the past year or so. It runs and it's the cheapest range ammo you'll find. I run this through my Colts, LMT's and I'll run it in my Noveske when it arrives. Someone will come along and bad mouth Wolf but the stuff works and it allows me to train more than if I shot the designer ammo.

My SHTF ammo is all Federal XM193, M855 and some Black Hills Red Box 77gr SMK. I keep the good stuff tucked away.

Thermodyn
06-21-08, 00:35
Anatomically, noobs are like anyone else. Therefore, you'd use the same ammo on them that you'd use to shoot anyone else.

Or am I not understanding the question?
:cool:

Bwaaaahhh! :D

ROTFLMAO!

rifleshooter
06-21-08, 11:34
Well the 55gr stuff works well for me and it's about all I can find for pratice because of the price of .223 Ammo. I have a 1:9 bbl. so I could shoot anything up to 69gr without worry. :) And you can find lots of defence type .223/5.56 Ammos online but it's not cheap.:(

markm
06-21-08, 11:52
There's nothing wrong with 55 grain ammo. The heavy stuff is fashionable lately, but Good old XM193 is fine for me.

Apparently the super heavy projectiles wreak havoc on Slabs of Gelatine. I've never been threatened by Gelatine so I'm more worried about shooting people with bones, cartlidge, guts, blood, and all that fancy city slicker stuff! :p

rifleshooter
06-21-08, 12:00
There's nothing wrong with 55 grain ammo. The heavy stuff is fashionable lately, but Good old XM193 is fine for me.

Apparently the super heavy projectiles wreak havoc on Slabs of Gelatine. I've never been threatened by Gelatine so I'm more worried about shooting people with bones, cartlidge, guts, blood, and all that fancy city slicker stuff! :p

My local range was asking $15 for 20rds XM193 yesterday also a local gun store has it for $190 for 500rds.
what are you seeing for price of it where you are at?

markm
06-21-08, 13:23
My local range was asking $15 for 20rds XM193 yesterday also a local gun store has it for $190 for 500rds.
what are you seeing for price of it where you are at?

That 500 round price sounds about right.... $7.60 per box.

I don't use it for practice ammo. I reload for that. Most of My XM193 was bought long ago at half what it's going for now. But I did by 500 rounds of black label XM193 from Wideners back when they had it last at $7.40 per box. :eek:

Veracity
06-21-08, 13:29
Well the 55gr stuff works well for me and it's about all I can find for pratice because of the price of .223 Ammo. I have a 1:9 bbl. so I could shoot anything up to 69gr without worry. :) And you can find lots of defence type .223/5.56 Ammos online but it's not cheap.:(

Alright...this is good. This is what I need to know.

I've got a BM with a 1:9 in which I've only used 55gr.

Now got a 6920 and a Match Target HBAR...both unfired
...I believe that they're 1:7. (Grant or Rob, jump in here please to confirm)

So....does that mean I have ammo limitations for various twists? I didn't know this. If so, please tell me the limits for both.

This forum is great. I'm glad it's here.

rifleshooter
06-21-08, 15:39

So....does that mean I have ammo limitations for various twists? I didn't know this. If so, please tell me the limits for both.

I am reading from The AR-15 Complete Owners Guide Vol 1 2nd Edt. by Walt Kuleck with Scott Duff

Page 54 bbl twist 1 in 9= 50 to 69gr. 1 in 7 80gr up

This book is worth having IMHO.:)

RD62
06-21-08, 16:39
I just bought two boxes of XM193 when I was at the range today. $9.99 a box! :mad: It's the first I have seen any around here in some time. They also had Win M855 for like $11.99 a box. I was pissed at the price, and let them know but still bought two boxes. After range fees and their exorbitantly priced "Range" ammo (read crappy reloads) I only had enough cash left on me for the two boxes. I asked if they'd sell a case and he said no.

-RD62

sgtrock82
06-22-08, 00:43
with a 1-9 barrel you can shoot up to 69gr ammo and expect accuracy. 75gr is touch and go, but not a safe bet. A 1-7 to 1-8 barrel should allow you to shoot whatever you want with decent if not great accuracy, 52 and 55gr too. 80gr bullets are a National Match item and are too long to load to magazine length. The only thing heavier than 80s that i know of is 90gr, they are also too long for magazines and I think require a 1-6.5 barrel

jh1
06-22-08, 10:37
with a 1-9 barrel you can shoot up to 69gr ammo and expect accuracy. 75gr is touch and go, but not a safe bet. A 1-7 to 1-8 barrel should allow you to shoot whatever you want with decent if not great accuracy, 52 and 55gr too. 80gr bullets are a National Match item and are too long to load to magazine length. The only thing heavier than 80s that i know of is 90gr, they are also too long for magazines and I think require a 1-6.5 barrel
I did see some 100grain ,made by extreme shock.I think ableammo had it. Not sure if could shoot 80-100gr. bullets.

beantamug
06-23-08, 12:59

There are some general guide lines for what bullet weights will shoot well from a given twist rate in a given caliber, as some other posters have mentioned.

However, every barrel is different. Sometimes you will see different results with bullet shape or brand, even with the same weight, barrel twist, etc.

The best way to find out is to get a couple different brands and weights of ammo, go to the range, and shoot.

For example: the most accurate load I have found for my Bushmaster 1:9 twist barrel is Privi Partisan 75 grain open tip match. I have trid lots of 55gr, 62rg, 64gr, 75gr, and 77gr ammo.

markm
06-23-08, 13:08
Anatomically, noobs are like anyone else.

Actually there can be a thicker coat of fat on a noob. Years of playing HALO 5 on the couch, before buying a real gun, can make for a thick body.

A deep penetrating round might be best!