PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill Machine ?

guy sajer
10-18-14, 15:23
Good , bad , ugly ?

I didn't have much luck finding anything with the search function .

Found a deal on one of these . Wondering if they hold up well , quality , etc .
YHM
SLR Specter Smooth Carbine
SOC-8510-OD

Thank you .

GH41
10-18-14, 15:31
Prepare yourself! I'll start... Iffy specs and pricey for what it is. Many proven options out there for less $$$

Kain
10-18-14, 15:37
What are you defining as a deal on one of these? Because with the deals that are running at the moment on Colts and BCMs unless it is like $200 I don't really see the point. My experience with YHM is that it is generally heavy, pricey, and not exactly in what I would call spec.

guy sajer
10-18-14, 22:54
Opinions are what I asked for . I'm not locked in to it . Looking before I leap . $900 new in box .

Thank you .

foxtrotx1
10-18-14, 23:31
Opinions are what I asked for . I'm not locked in to it . Looking before I leap . $900 new in box .

Thank you .

Run far away. You can get a colt for that price and and less these days. Get a BCM upper, they have a massive sale now. You won't buy a better rifle for the buck.

Dirty_H
10-20-14, 14:54
I am interested in this thread as well. I have always wondered why I dont hear anything on these.

Grizzly16
10-20-14, 15:48
You can get a bcm put together for under $900 especially if you find a blem lower. Or you can get a Colt lightweight from PSA for 799 right now. Why mess with YHM?

hkusp
10-20-14, 23:48
I used to own one, it was super heavy and the machining on the picatinny rail sections left a lot of sharp edges; anything not covered with rail panels tore up my delicate hands. That was years ago before DD and BCM were around, not many options back then. I sold the YHM for better quality and lighter weight as soon as I could.

sevenhelmet
10-21-14, 05:11
I have one. I bought a YHM Diamond Specter XL (16" 1 in 7) upper to complete my first AR. I have about 300 rounds through it, so long-term reliability is an unknown. So far though, it's been a reliable upper which has shot well (about 1 MOA), and if it's heavy it doesn't bother me. However, it is over gassed, the bolt is commercial and unmarked, and the original charging handle was quickly replaced with a BCM mod 4. Long story short, for the price, I would go with a BCM SS410 upper today. You get far better workmanship for the price.

Sav
11-24-14, 21:15
Decent for the Price...

Col_Crocs
11-24-14, 22:27
^ ayayay. Really?

chuckman
11-25-14, 04:33
You can get a bcm put together for under $900 especially if you find a blem lower. Or you can get a Colt lightweight from PSA for 799 right now. Why mess with YHM?

This. I added a PSA lower, slapped on a BCM mid-length upper, my total about $950.

I had a carbine with YHM stuff...it was fine, in spec, but very heavy.