PDA

View Full Version : Colt Sporter M4 Carbine safety

ar15a292f
10-18-14, 16:06
I have a Colt Sporter M4 Carbine that was purchased in December of 2012. Is the standard safety that came with this carbine reversible or will I need to purchase an ambidextrous safety if I want to use if left handed?

26 Inf
10-18-14, 21:25
No, it is not reversible. The safety is retained in place, and it's rotation is limited, by the selector detent located on the right side of the receiver. The selector detent and it's spring are held in place by the pistol grip.

The groove milled into the barrel of the selector would be on the wrong side if you tried to install from the right side.

I personally think an ambidextrous selector should be a standard fixture, so even if it could be reversed, I'd counsel you to get an ambi.

straitR
10-18-14, 22:16
I concur that a standard safety is not reversible, although JP makes one, but I wanted to point out that ambi safeties are not necessarily favored by everyone.

While there are tons of people who love them, I myself am not a fan, assumably from years of running rifles with a single port side safety. I don't like how it forces me to move my finger/hand out of the way on the starboard side, off of the rifle, in order to disengage the safety. That said, there are ambi's that make this less of an issue, but I've tried them as well and didn't notice an appreciable difference in drill times. Personally, as a righty who doesn't take a complete thumbed grip when shooting support side, I find manipulating the safety with the left hand thumb and trigger finger easy enough to not warrant standardizing all my rifles and then training up to that change.

Single, starboard side, safeties are available from Stag for lefties that don't want an ambi.

It's totally personal preference, but like everything else, I suggest you try before you buy.

sjc3081
10-18-14, 22:17
Use your left index finger as per LAV if it works for him you should be fine.

3 AE
10-19-14, 18:27
My 6920 from 10/10 came with the reversible selector. Colt part # SP63003.

http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/Selector_Semi_Auto_Reversible-1128-298.html

Very easy to check. Remove grip, selector spring, and detent. Pull out selector and see if a second groove is located right behind the lever. If there is, presto, reverse selector and reinstall everything else.

Frens
10-20-14, 00:15
My 2008 Colt 6731 came with the reversible safety.
if it has the new longer lever than it's reversible ;)

Wayne Dobbs
10-20-14, 09:32
If you have a Colt SEMI AUTO selector made since late 2008 - early 2009 it is fully reversible. The auto selectors are not reversible, nor can they be. For disclosure and credibility purposes, I'm one of the Armorer Instructors for Colt.

26 Inf
10-20-14, 10:47
If you have a Colt SEMI AUTO selector made since late 2008 - early 2009 it is fully reversible. The auto selectors are not reversible, nor can they be. For disclosure and credibility purposes, I'm one of the Armorer Instructors for Colt.

Thanks for the information.

ADDICTED2TONE
10-20-14, 11:04
I have a 2013 6920 and mine is reversible. I just checked it out.

straitR
10-20-14, 13:38
Learn something new, everyday. Thanks Wayne.

ar15a292f
10-20-14, 20:53
Wayne, thank you for the information. I will switch the selector to the other side this weekend.