PDA

View Full Version : Preferred ammo for Noveske N4

polydeuces
10-19-14, 10:07
Hey guys, hope someone can throw me a leg up:
Trying to avoid throwing a fortune away just to reinvent the wheel - in your experience, what factory ammo seems to get the highest accuracy out of a Noveske N4 barrel?
(to be specific - I have a 16" and 12.5").
FWIW - This is about accuracy only; a nice ragged hole in paper.

But while we're at it, if it's out there and someone has it - what about an effective hunting round?

This older post is incredibly educational and illuminating (sticky perhaps? - because if nothing else it slam-dunks the ever returning question " how accurate is the AR15 platform".
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?61263-Accuracy-Evaluation-of-Six-Different-Noveske-Barrels

These were all hand-loads though. No cigar for me.

Thanks.

Onyx Z
10-19-14, 10:22
Any match ammo should get you AT LEAST 1.5moa, if not better. You might get lucky and find one that shoots .5moa... it's hard to predict something like this. You never know until you try it.

And don't believe the hype that "chrome lined barrels aren't accurate". Many CL barrels are sub-moa capable.

polydeuces
10-19-14, 11:15
Sure - I'm aware of this. I'm already there - even with crappy steel case I get there - sometimes.
That's not the question.

I am asking actual N4 owners: have you found a factory-round that has given you sub moa accuracy, consistently, and what round was/is it.
Plain and simple.
Thanks.

markm
10-19-14, 13:24
There's nothing magic about any of Noveske's barrels.... (except the price ;) ) Short of handloads, you'd like to find a match load that doesn't use ball powder.... ASYM or that company that's out of MESA, AZ here... I forget their name, but they make good 77 gr ammo and use XBR powder as I understand it.

polydeuces
10-19-14, 16:49
These guys I assume?
http://store.chencustom.com/223_Rem_77_gr_Tactical_OTM_s/40.htm

ForRec
10-19-14, 18:11
Hey Sir, not sure if you still care or not but I just came across this thread and thought I'd chime in. I got my Noveske last January and have been shooting it the whole time. After the giddyness wore off (aka, shooting just to shoot); I started really trying to see what she can do. Short story long: mine likes the CBC 77 grain match ammo. To be fair, I have only fired federal and federal premium prior to getting locked on to the CBC round (my cousin recommended it); the federal ammo did fine. The main difference I noticed was that the CBC .77 never seemed to have a "stray" round or whatever you call it whenever you are locked in tight, in the prone, with a loop sling, and fire your 7th of 10 rounds and it just randomly goes high and to the right. My Caldwell led-sled helped me discover that that "stray" round was often the round; not the shooter (not bragging; believe me, I'm a mediocre shot at best). But it helped me nail down what my gun loves. Hope you can do the same brother; good luck. SF!

polydeuces
10-19-14, 21:55
Good to know - thank you.
Figure these are the things we need to share - actual shooting of the gun. Practical experience - real world.
Hope to get a few more to chime in - will share the outcome once I start shooting.

jstone
10-21-14, 01:01
If your looking at 100-200 yards hornady tap 55 vmax has been great in my old n4 barrel, and my new spr.

In my hands they regularly group sub moa with the spr, and with the n4 they were moa to just below. Im not sub moa all day type of marksmen. Somehow they just shoot for me.