PDA

View Full Version : Gibbz G4 Side charging upper

lattin1
10-20-14, 18:00
I was looking around at different uppers for an SBR build I'm doing and I came across this side charger from Gibbz. I'm not familiar with this company but $250 for a billet side charging upper seems almost too good to pass up. I'm digging their rails too. Anybody have any experience or opinions about this company?

http://www.gibbzarms.com/g4-upper-receiver.html

Heavy Metal
10-20-14, 19:32
No Dustcover.

lattin1
10-20-14, 23:43
I see that as a plus.

VIP3R 237
10-20-14, 23:59
Kind of cool, but I wonder for the price if it is constructed of 6061 instead of 7075 T6. I do like the non-reciprocating CH though. Another potential issues it that it looks as if the rail is higher than a standard upper, if so then you may be restricted to their hand guards.

lattin1
10-21-14, 00:34
I think the rail just appears higher because there's no charging handle in the back.

MistWolf
10-21-14, 01:08
Wrong forum. Please read this sticky https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?82447-PLEASE-READ-THIS-FIRST-Custom-Build-AR-Forum

foxtrotx1
10-21-14, 03:25
I see that as a plus.

The dust cover is there to keep crap out when the rifle is not being fired, for any serious use rifle it's a no brainier. The FA is debatable.

The real question is why did they bother to construct a side charger that has a dust cover for the bolt handle side, but not the opposite side.

Iraqgunz
10-21-14, 04:14
The last thing you want to do is experiment with goofy stuff when building an AR and especially an SBR. At the end of the day, it's your money so do what you think is right.

I was looking around at different uppers for an SBR build I'm doing and I came across this side charger from Gibbz. I'm not familiar with this company but $250 for a billet side charging upper seems almost too good to pass up. I'm digging their rails too. Anybody have any experience or opinions about this company?

http://www.gibbzarms.com/g4-upper-receiver.html

markm
10-21-14, 08:01
If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well.

A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake.

midSCarolina
10-21-14, 08:21
If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well.

Haha that's about as well as you can put it.

MistWolf
10-21-14, 13:02
We're worried about a dust cover? Seriously?

lattin1
10-21-14, 14:10
If I had titled the thread "Ejection port covers are useless and you're a f'ing moron if you disagree" then these responses would be relevant. I didn't write that though so wtf? I said it was a plus that this receiver doesn't have a dust cover because I'm doing a 458 build and the dust cover spring has a tendency to snag brass as its ejecting. Go hijack another thread, not really in the mood for trollers.

justin_247
10-21-14, 14:24
If I had titled the thread "Ejection port covers are useless and you're a f'ing moron if you disagree" then these responses would be relevant. I didn't write that though so wtf? I said it was a plus that this receiver doesn't have a dust cover because I'm doing a 458 build and the dust cover spring has a tendency to snag brass as its ejecting. Go hijack another thread, not really in the mood for trollers.

That's a really bad attitude to have, especially when your question was as follows (emphasis mine):

Anybody have any experience or opinions about this company?

mastiffhound
10-21-14, 14:33

A case of Independence Ammo will be the icing on the cake.

You guys gotta stop that stuff, I almost drowned in soda. We need a header: CAUTION, YOU'RE ABOUT TO READ SOMETHING THAT MAY CAUSE YOU TO CHOKE, DROWN, URINATE, OR DEFECATE. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM EATING OR DRINKING AND USE OF THE FACILITIES BEFORE READING IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

TexasGunNut
10-21-14, 15:09

This post made the view from my hospital bed much better. Thanks markm

JBecker 72
10-21-14, 15:14
This post made the view from my hospital bed much better. Thanks markm

Ebola?

ColtSeavers
10-21-14, 15:49
I never got the appeal of side chargers. Less (especially moving) parts outside the AR the better IMO. Shame that the lack of a dust cover being a benefit due to the upper's intended use with .458 Socom was not mentioned earlier, probably could have saved a bit of bother.

weez440
10-21-14, 22:03
went to their site and facebook page, seen they had 12 people who gave them 5 stars so i clicked on where they were all from and miraculously they are all from arizona. and the company is from arizona. basically they are a no name company having people that work for them give them all kinds of positive feedback on the net which is the kind of dishonest advertising i hate. do you think they go through the stingy qc techniques like all the other top of the line guys go through? maybe, i guess we will never know if people don't try them out and give us an honest review but i'm not going to be the test dummy.

SpankMonkey
10-21-14, 22:20

hahahaha ****ing Mark. hahahaha

Junkie
10-22-14, 09:28
What's wrong with Independence ammo?

JS-Maine
10-22-14, 10:47
If you use the search function you will see a number of threads with concerning reviews. Here is one for you to review from this past summer:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?153680-Update-Independence-5-56-XM193I&highlight=

JBecker 72
10-22-14, 11:04

I've shot about 400 rounds of it without issue, and still have about 600 rounds left (bought a 1000 round case). No reported issues with the lot I have from when I called to double check. 1 or 2 lots seem to be loaded too hot. I've been shooting the ammo in both of my M4 carbines.

MistWolf
10-22-14, 11:13

As this post follows mine, I'll expound on what I wrote- It's silly to bash an upper simply because it lacks a dust and to get caught up in a "Huh-uh!" "Uh-huh!" tiff like kids in the backseat of mom's car on a trip to Gramma's house over this is ridiculous. I wasn't trolling your thread.

If I misunderstood, ignore the above

elephantrider
10-22-14, 16:56

I was thinking get the left handed model so you can really run it like an AK.

10MMGary
10-22-14, 21:03
markm wrote; "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well.

A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake." for the win and EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!