PDA

View Full Version : Gander Mountain ammo prices! My goodness!

Uni-Vibe
10-21-14, 18:12
I was in GM today. Remington L9mm1B (standard pressure 115 grain JHP) was $44 for a box of 100!

You can buy the 50 round box online for $18. More than a couple boxes, and it's cheaper to order online and have it shipped to your door than it is to drove 20 miles to the Gander.

The +P version of the same load, which is $19 online for 50 rounds, was -- are you sitting down --- thirty-three bucks!

These guys make Midway and Cheaper [sic] than Dirt look positively reasonable.

But the shelves were incredibly full of all calibers. No wonder.

Yeow! I guess you gotta be a Goose to buy from the Gander.

Stay out of Gander Mountain for ammo.

nate89
10-21-14, 18:18
I don't buy ammo local, it's too expensive. When I can get 50 round boxes of HSTs online for under $25, and I reload practice ammo, why pay more?

Tigereye
10-21-14, 19:06
GM in our area has tons of ammo but prices are ridiculous. 223/556 ball ammo is .40-.50 per round. Every once in a while they will have .22 at a reasonable price but that's usually ridiculous too.

lunchbox
10-21-14, 19:09
The Ganders ammo here is $10 higher per box than the Academy. They know their high, the employees even tell you they know their higher priced, and to go to the Academy's around the corner. One nice thing is they will always have an assorted supply of ammo in stock, because no one buys it.

Flankenstein
10-21-14, 19:09
F GM.

TexasGunNut
10-21-14, 19:30
If you get in a bind, pull up the prices on Academy and GM will price match. I still try not to buy from them but if you have to have it this might help.

ezveedub
10-21-14, 19:47
I walked in GM 2 weeks ago and walked right back out. Only UMC 250rd 9mm box was the only thing I considered and even at $69, I still left it there on the shelf.

Kain
10-21-14, 19:48
Don't live even near a Gander Mountain, hell I don't think I've ever been in one for that matter. But I do live near a Cabelas and can say in all honestly that they are not much better. .45 is still 50 cents a round and 9mm you are hard pressed to get for less than $15 a box. Last few times I have been there though they have had .22lr Mini mags in stock though. 5.56 though, ****ing forget it they are a solid $1-5 a box more than online. Ammo, in my opinion, is generally not something you are going to find a deal locally in my experience, unless it is .22lr, which I can, and always have, found cheaper local than online.

Tigereye
10-21-14, 21:13
The Ganders ammo here is $10 higher per box than the Academy. They know their high, the employees even tell you they know their higher priced, and to go to the Academy's around the corner. One nice thing is they will always have an assorted supply of ammo in stock, because no one buys it.

LB,
You and I are both on The Plains.
Eric

Renegade04
10-21-14, 21:16
I refuse to buy ammo from GM. Even their sale prices are higher than the daily Academy prices. Every now and then, Dicks Sporting Goods will run a decent sale. I order most of my ammo when it is on sale from Natchez, Primary Arms, AIM Surplus, and PSA.

lunchbox
10-21-14, 22:03
If you get in a bind, pull up the prices on Academy and GM will price match. I still try not to buy from them but if you have to have it this might help.Good to know, they do have a good selection but prices are high. As OP mentioned $18 vs $44 & $ 19 vs $33, is just too much.

LB,
EricWar Eagle!!

Tigereye
10-21-14, 22:26
War Eagle!

mballz23
10-22-14, 08:11
Don't live even near a Gander Mountain, hell I don't think I've ever been in one for that matter. But I do live near a Cabelas and can say in all honestly that they are not much better. .45 is still 50 cents a round and 9mm you are hard pressed to get for less than $15 a box. Last few times I have been there though they have had .22lr Mini mags in stock though. 5.56 though, ****ing forget it they are a solid $1-5 a box more than online. Ammo, in my opinion, is generally not something you are going to find a deal locally in my experience, unless it is .22lr, which I can, and always have, found cheaper local than online.

I buy 9mm for 11.99-13.99 on the regular at cabelas. We just got a GM. Walked in Blazer Brass was 16.99. Same box is 13.99 at cabelas. Went over to .22, a 100rds of CCI lead nose was 18.99...... 18.99! While 50 round boxes were 5.99... Went straight to cabelas, 100 rounds CCI copper plated HP, 8.99.....

TAZ
10-22-14, 08:22
The GM in my neck of the woods was the only place to find ammo in stock. For a super short stretch they had 350rds Blazer Brass for $89. Not bad if it's the only game in town. Went by there yesterday and the price has jumped to $120. Not paying that.

rcasey02
10-23-14, 13:29
Gander here in Amarillo is insanely overprices on ammo and guns I don't go in there except for maybe clothing or fishing stuff

Zane1844
10-23-14, 13:48
Yeah, their prices are insane. I am not sure who would actually buy their ammo.

FeistyCrawfish
10-23-14, 18:23
LB,
Eric

Which means we three are all on The Plains... WDE!

Tigereye
10-23-14, 21:07
WDE!!!

FeistyCrawfish
10-23-14, 21:12
WDE!!!

Do you use Uchee or EAGC?

kett73
10-23-14, 21:59
Agree, in Amarillo prices high to low are GM, Academy, and Walmart. I will buy from WM before the other two because they are at minimum $20 cheaper on bulk items than GM and $10 under Academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcasey02
10-23-14, 22:01
Agree, in Amarillo prices high to low are GM, Academy, and Walmart. I will buy from WM before the other two because they are at minimum $20 cheaper on bulk items than GM and $10 under Academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeap that's exactly how it is. Not to mention panhandle gunslingers is high to 35 bucks for a box of american eagle .40 fmj

lunchbox
10-23-14, 22:21
Do you use Uchee or EAGC?Not directed at me but, I use EAGC for IDPA and Uchee (Tuskegee) about twice a month depending on work/family schedule. Also check out Central Alabama Gun Club (CAGC) for gun games.

Jakashh
10-24-14, 00:38
I work at gander and get a 10% discount on ammo and still don't buy from here. I go to academy for ammo. Gander employee discounts on everything but ammo are badass though. Picked up many nice guns and quality parts for super cheap via vendor appreciation style deals.

Tigereye
10-24-14, 06:49
I'm a member at EAGC and shoot IDPA and USPSA. Great club and great folks! The matches are always fun and relaxed.

lifewithoutparole
10-25-14, 18:06
I have 2 GM's within an hour's drive, one in St. Augustine area and one in Sanford. I was elated today when I read that Academy is opening 4 stores in central Florida. We will finally have competition in the area.

mastiffhound
10-26-14, 23:23
I won't go to GM for anything. Their rifles are on average $500 higher than what I can get at a local shop. Hell, GM is selling Bushmaster Patrol Carbines at $1300 still while Walmart has Colts for $900 and the lgs is $869.99. Ammo is a joke like 9mm Fed 115 FMJ 50rd boxes at WM going for $13.99, it's $15.99 at the LGS, it's $25.99 at GM. My brother used to joke that the CEO must have one hell of a crack addiction, because only a crackhead thinks that someone might be willing to pay 2x what something is actually worth. I'm surprised he's not on a corner asking if anyone wants to buy a sack of cheeseburgers. A small shop where I used to live is 3 miles away from the GM. They are usually 1/3 to 1/2 the price of GM for ammo, while GM has 100's of stores they have just one. Rifles are the same, $300 to $500 cheaper than GM. Even GM's sales are laughable, GM's sale prices are still higher than any other place besides another GM. Gander Mountain is a joke, they're the Cheaper Than Dirt of the brick and mortar outdoors/hunting sales world.

The worst thing is their used rifle and handguns they sell. I've never seen another place charge so much for broken firearms. Revolvers with timing issues, guns with broken firing pins or springs, parts like sights missing, rust, and all cost close to or right at what they would have been brand new. I get flyers in the weekly paper but I haven't went there in 3 or 4 years, they are nice enough to let everyone know that their prices haven't changed. It's about the only thing I'd thank them for.

JusticeM4
10-26-14, 23:24
Yep, GM have always been overpriced in my area. Good thing they are too far from me to ever buy anything there.

Eddiesketti
10-27-14, 20:12
They usually price match local gun stores within 40 miles and other B&M retailers as long as it is in stock. This counts on guns as well. YMMV