PDA

View Full Version : Decisions on a new handgun.

rcasey02
10-22-14, 21:29
What up forum so I'm having a hard time trying to make my mind up on the handgun I'm wanting to get. I'll start off by saying that I had a glock and I didn't like it so their not an option. I'm pretty set on either the M&P9 or the XD9 service. I have shot both and both feel good and 1911 like. M&P seemed to be softer but and I like the looks of both. I really am the only one who can answer my own question but would like opinions about the two from y'all.

Talon167
10-23-14, 07:26
Of those two, M&P.

Not sure if you've had the chance to try a P30 LEM or even a VP9, but I'd give them a hard look if you haven't. As of Nov 1, there will be a $200 rebate on P30s until the end of the year.

Gingerkid
10-23-14, 07:35
Of those two choices I think most everyone here will steer you towards the M&P.

I have not owned the XD lines of pistols but have been pretty happy with a number of the M&P line. Full size, Pro, Compact, Shield... For me, the Shield is one of the best options in carry guns out there.

uffdaphil
10-23-14, 08:20
Of those two, the M&P would be my choice. I had the full and compact. But try CZs before you decide. They felt so good in hand plus I shot better with them. Sold both Smiths. Big fan of the decockers.

teutonicpolymer
10-23-14, 13:10
My first answer would be Glock and then add sights, grip tape, and a grip plug but if you absolutely don't like them then maybe a PPQ or VP9. I don't care for M&P's or XD's.

rcasey02
10-23-14, 13:27
I like glocks but my hands are small and just ain't built for a the glock. Iam on a budget somewhat that's why I'm down to with the m&p or xd, or I would look at the vp9 or even the new SIG p320 but I think I'm gunna go with the m&p for the ambi slide release and then later on get the SIG cause I love that new p320 especially since you can pull the internals out of the frame and then stick them in like a compact size. Appreciate the responses

Talon167
10-23-14, 14:20
I like glocks but my hands are small and just ain't built for a the glock. Iam on a budget somewhat that's why I'm down to with the m&p or xd, or I would look at the vp9 or even the new SIG p320 but I think I'm gunna go with the m&p for the ambi slide release and then later on get the SIG cause I love that new p320 especially since you can pull the internals out of the frame and then stick them in like a compact size. Appreciate the responses

VP9 has an ambi slide release.

opmike
10-23-14, 14:24
The XD has persona non grata status on most "serious" gun forums, so you're not going to really see anyone steering you that direction.

KCBRUIN
10-23-14, 14:37
Save up till you can afford the VP9, isn't the base model $599? How much are you paying for the M&P?

rcasey02
10-23-14, 14:39
Found a new one for 440

Tigereye
10-23-14, 16:14
I have the Pro and the Compact and like them both.

rcasey02
10-23-14, 16:16
Yea i think im set on the M&P. I'm a very very picky person, when I can be anyways.

samuse
10-23-14, 17:26
I've never noticed anything 1911-like about an M'nP or XD.

I think the XD is a better shooting gun. Both are clunkers.

Quick Draw
10-23-14, 17:37
I would take a long look at the Walther PPQ M2 although if you like the 1911 feel (I do) there are a number of excellent 1911s to choose from.

bjxds
10-23-14, 18:53
What up forum so I'm having a hard time trying to make my mind up on the handgun I'm wanting to get. I'll start off by saying that I had a glock and I didn't like it so their not an option. I'm pretty set on either the M&P9 or the XD9 service. I have shot both and both feel good and 1911 like. M&P seemed to be softer but and I like the looks of both. I really am the only one who can answer my own question but would like opinions about the two from y'all.

Sounds like you have already answer your own question. The XD's are not going to get any love here but I do like them. The XDM is very nice, and the M&P's Pro series Cores as well, I just don't like the feel of the M&P's 2 piece trigger.

Not on your list but I think the PPQ and so far the VP9 have them both beat.

elnino31
10-23-14, 20:06
M&p's are nice, I own one. I owned an xdm, but it never felt good in my hands. It really is personal preference.

I do miss having an HK though.

Co-gnARR
10-23-14, 20:20
Have you shot either pistol? Sorry if I missed that info earlier. For me, and my bear paws, the XD is something I would never carry since the grip safety has failed to engage more than once. This has never been an issue with any 1911 I've fired, whether government, officer or commander size. In my CCW class the man qualifying next to me had the same grip safety issue on his XDM. Maybe it's a training deficiency on my part but if I cannot be 100% certain that whatever weapon I grab will fire without fail then it is a no go for me.
From my limited time with M&Ps I agree with all the positives mention already. 40 cal is not my thing but the M&P was by far the softest recoiling in that caliber, compared with similar sized Glock, XD, & HK.
YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LoveAR
10-23-14, 20:22
I got an M&P Shield from Grant with the full Apex trigger mod. The trigger is as best that one could want. The 1st 100 rds popped of flawlessly.

Mauser KAR98K
10-23-14, 22:38
I would also add to the try the VP9 before buying. Trigger is superb, and you will have top pay more to get a trigger close to it for the M&P series.

Just flat out forget the XD.