PDA

View Full Version : Colt Gunsite model malfunctioning...need advice.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-21-08, 17:01
Hey guys.

I have a Colt Gunsite Pistol that doesn't want to work. Sometimes the bullet doesn't quite get all the way into the chamber. Here is a picture of the malfunction (note that the case is almost in the chamber, and the extractor hook is on the case rim.
http://gallery.mac.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0855/web.jpg

Here is another clue. If you press check the gun sometimes the slide will not fall forward when you release the slide. It will hang just slightly open.

Any clues? A buddy says that it might be a tight chamber? It is marked as a NM barrel. Help me out!

Also, this malfunction occurs with a variety of mags, and both 230 and 185 grain FMJ.

theJanitor
06-21-08, 17:42
what's the round count and performance history of the pistol? that'll help us out.

i've seen quite a few FTF's right around that point with varying reasons.

worn out recoil spring
ill fit extractor
burr on the firing pin hole
really dirty chamber
long OAL reloads

from what i see, the case rim is not yet into the extractor. maybe it's hanging up right when it contacts the extractor. but your comment on the slide not going into battery after a press check leads me to the chamber, as the extractor should be onto the rim and the bullet is past the firing pin hole.

rhino
06-21-08, 18:22
When this happens with a 1911, the first thing I check is the slide stop (on the inside). If you see a smear of copper/brass on it, it's probably rubbing on the bullets as they go into battery. If that's the case, a couple of strokes with a fine file where you see the smear of brass/copper will usually solve that problem (if it exists). It's a very common malady with guns made in the last few years, probably because the slide stops are oversized.

This won't address the other issue, but it's so simple and so common that it's worth checking.

RD62
06-21-08, 19:17
Is this gun new or did it just start having these malfunctions? Have you recently changed anything? If it or the barrel is new, the chamber may be a little tight, although I would imagine you'd definitely be having extraction issues too if that were the case. If it has a few thousand rounds through it, it may have a weak recoil spring. It's a cheap and easy fix. As mentioned the slide stop may be rubbing, but often you see the slide locking back with rounds still in the mag if that's the case. A little more info may be helpful in helping you diagnose your problem.

-RD62

wichaka
06-21-08, 19:27
A properly set up 1911 should run with a 12-14lb recoil spring. If one needs to put in a higher weight rated spring to get it to run, then there's something else going on.

It appears from the pic, that the extractor is over tensioned. A common thing I see on the bench a lot.

Refer here to check that out. http://www.m1911.org/full_technic.htm

If that doesn't do it, come back and we'll go from there.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-21-08, 19:40
Thanks guys! I always appreciate some knowledgeable help.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-21-08, 20:04
OK.

If I slip a loaded case under the extractor, and make sure that it is pushed back tight against the breech face, it doesn't move when you shake the slide.

If you slip a loaded case in, but don't push it back against the breech face, it flops, but is retained by the extractor.

Too tight?

Sam
06-21-08, 20:39
Sounds like another good candidate to bring to the LAV 1911 class. You are going to that class right?

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-21-08, 20:52
Yes I am. This gun is buggy. I will be bringing my Novak's for most of the drills (since it works). I will shoot enough with this one and get Larry to debug it for me (hopefully).

You gonna make an appearance? If so, please bring that Vickers 1911 again. I was looking at a gun owned by Jeff Cooper and the grip safety seemed similar (stock but dehorned).

wichaka
06-21-08, 21:00
It shouldn't take much pressure to slie the case rim uder the extractor hook.

Sam
06-21-08, 21:41
You gonna make an appearance? If so, please bring that Vickers 1911 again. I was looking at a gun owned by Jeff Cooper and the grip safety seemed similar (stock but dehorned).

Sure will, maybe come up Saturday for dinner. Definitely Sunday for the "gun tweaking" session, that should be fun. I'll bring the gun, but I'm sure that Cooper's grip safety was probably bobbed even more so than mine.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-21-08, 22:10
It was. He must have had skin of steel!

p7fl
06-22-08, 06:20
This probably won’t help, but, I have two Gunsite Colts that do the same thing. Both guns from the start will occasionally hang up when press checking.
Both guns have over 7K rounds thru them and run flawlessly except for this minor issue. I’ve just gotten use to sometimes whacking the back of the slide with the heel of my hand.

Littlelebowski
06-22-08, 09:38
Have you tried it with different mags?

STS
06-22-08, 13:15
Lets us know what Vickers does to the gun, I'm curious what he will tweak.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-22-08, 20:18
I tried....

1. 18 pound spring. Nope
2. Extractor from another gun. Nope
3. Tripp and CMC mags. Nope.
4. All three at once. Nope.

Robb Jensen
06-22-08, 20:22
I tried....

1. 18 pound spring. Nope
2. Extractor from another gun. Nope
3. Tripp and CMC mags. Nope.
4. All three at once. Nope.

I'd return it to Gunsite.....

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-22-08, 20:33
That is the plan. I am going to let LAV eyeball it this weekend at the 1911 class. If he can fix it with a swipe of his file that would be nice. Otherwise, another 1911 in the mail!

sff70
06-23-08, 01:52
Remove the extractor (and firing pin stop, pin, and spring).

See if the pistol feeds and goes into battery. If it works w/o the extractor installed, the extractor is causing the problem (too much tension).

Joe Mamma
06-23-08, 09:08
That is the plan. I am going to let LAV eyeball it this weekend at the 1911 class. If he can fix it with a swipe of his file that would be nice. Otherwise, another 1911 in the mail!

If it's not too much trouble, let us know what ends up fixing your problem. Thanks.

Joe Mamma

Bigun
06-23-08, 10:42
A properly set up 1911 should run with a 12-14lb recoil spring. If one needs to put in a higher weight rated spring to get it to run, then there's something else going on.

It appears from the pic, that the extractor is over tensioned. A common thing I see on the bench a lot.

Refer here to check that out. http://www.m1911.org/full_technic.htm

If that doesn't do it, come back and we'll go from there. That would be my guess as well. My Springer Loaded Stainless was a single shot untill I adjusted the extractor tension.

toddackerman
06-24-08, 19:51
What you are describing is typically a failure to feed due to an extractor that is too tight. This is a VERY delicate adjustment. VERY. The extractor tension is not allowing the round to slip under the extractor claw and allow the slide to close.

If not, I would look for a burr on the breech face.

Army Chief
06-25-08, 02:52
I (literally) just got back from a brief jump to/from Iraq, and am greatly impressed by the level of comptence and technical prowess this thread reveals -- on a fighting pistol that has nothing whatsoever to do with the M4 Carbine, unless you count the rampant Colts. :)

Concur that this sounds like an easily-remedied extractor tension issue, but more importantly, I'm just pleased to find my faith in this resource exonerated yet again. All forums are not created equal.

Chief

IRONFINS
07-28-08, 21:59
If messing with the extractor doesn't work try a good teflon based oil like rem-oil. I had a custom Kimber officer's model that would do the same thing after about 50rds fired. I was using Hoppe's oil and didn't know better. A friend that is a gunsmith told me that with the stiff springs and tight barrel/slide fit that I needed a good oil with teflon to keep it slick. After I switched to rem-oil it functioned flawlessly until I reached about 450 rds, then the plunger tube safety assembly come unstaked (actually the stakes were sheared off) and fell off during a fire drill. Kimber gladly fixed this and had it back to me in 8 days, however I sold it, call me unreasonable but a $1200.00 Kimber they only made 1000 of and it breaks in 450rds, not acceptable..............I hope this helps.

tinman44
07-29-08, 02:04
how about sell it to me so its not a problem for you anymore :p

IRONFINS
07-30-08, 22:44
I had it sold in two weeks. I traded it for a Sig Sauer 226 9mm made in West Germany, with the original orange box with the red velvet on the inside, 250 rd of Winchester target 9mm, Uncle Mikes cheap holster, hogue grips for the sig, 5 magazines, the one that come with the pistol 15rd, and 4 more 15 rd mags still in the plastic wrap, and $400.00 cash. I think I did good. Best of all he is happy and so am I. I let the Kimber go with the original mag and 6 more mags made and stamped by colt 7rd.............This weekend I found me a Colt Gold Cup in Stainless Steel that will be coming home with me.............:D