PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning kit for you gadget guys/gals

mark5pt56
10-23-14, 05:48
Found this poking about. Pretty cool idea to take along.

http://www.mscleankits.com/products.html

SteveL
10-23-14, 08:12
I'm surprised that they give you the latest and greatest lubes to pick from.

markm
10-23-14, 08:31
I think I need that... but I'm not sure.

ST911
10-23-14, 08:53
Well gosh darn it, those look kind of cool.

TomMcC
10-23-14, 10:14
Dental pick? That seems harsh. Never used one on any gun I've ever owned. Rest of it looks ok.

GTF425
10-23-14, 10:17
Dental pick? That seems harsh. Never used one on any gun I've ever owned. Rest of it looks ok.

Extremely popular in the military due to leaders making their subordinates clean every single piece of carbon off of a weapon before it can be turned into the arms room.

markm
10-23-14, 10:19
I use all kinds of picks/scrapers where carbon bakes on. I'll scrape the mother fudge out of a bolt carrier.

caelumatra
10-23-14, 10:20
I think I need that... but I'm not sure.

If it helps... the creator of this is a Marine if I remember right from his kickstarter.

markm
10-23-14, 10:31
If it helps... the creator of this is a Marine if I remember right from his kickstarter.

Regardless.. I'm still considering it :sarcastic:... plus I could toss in a Fireclean blister pack to try.

Straight Shooter
10-23-14, 10:44
That's about the smartest, most useful thing Ive seen in a minute. I like the double thick one that can be used as an IFAK in a pouch.
KUDO'S to the inventor!

KalashniKEV
10-23-14, 13:39
That's about the smartest, most useful thing Ive seen in a minute.

I don't understand it.

What is the advantage of it being shaped like a magazine?

Are you supposed to replace a magazine on your kit with a full size GI toothbrush and steel cleaning rods?

markm
10-23-14, 13:47
What is the advantage of it being shaped like a magazine?

Compatible with any mag pouch or easily stashed amongst/between mags in any container/ammo can.

I doubt anyone is bumping a loaded mag from their chest rig to have this there, but it's still kinda cool.

GH41
10-23-14, 15:26
I've got a couple of the US Peacekeeper bags BCM sells with multiple 2 mag pockets. The double case would be a perfect match for these bags.

3 AE
10-23-14, 15:39
Will a Magpul Ranger Plate fit? You know, just in case I need quick extraction! :sarcastic:

TexanInCali
10-23-14, 15:47
That's a very convenient packaging. It's nice for range use, but I avoid using segmented cleaning rods unless absolutely necessary.

Swatdude1
10-23-14, 16:41
This mag shaped kit is obviously intended for field use but I prefer to have my field cleaning kit on the gun. I was able to squeeze the following items into a Magpul MIAD grip: Otis Bone Tool, Otis 26 inch thin cable, .223 bronze brush, patch holder, obstruction remover, 6 Otis patches, and a small bottle of EWL, spare O ring, spare cotter pin.

Berserkr556
10-23-14, 19:25
I'm glad to see they got this into production. Like Swatdude1 I like to carry a cleaning kit in my carbine/rifle but I also like to carry a custom kit with a rod to clear a stuck case and a few other items. I'll buy the empty case and add my own items.

308sako
10-23-14, 19:59

I use it to chase a wet patch around the inside of the barrel extension, works very well and doesn't come in actual contact metal to metal.

SeriousStudent
10-23-14, 20:01
I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but I don't think I'll get one for the range. I've watched people stuff flashlights, knives, multitools - all sorts of stuff into a magwell.

I use one of these: http://www.emdomusa.com/Emdom-MM-KitMat-p/eu074a.htm

It's about the same size, and I can break down and troubleshoot someone's AR bolt or Glock slide, and not lose any parts thanks to the velcro. It also holds a disassembled cleaning rod, for clearing an obstruction.

I think the mag-shapped doodad would be handy to put parts in on a range. I'm just worried about how spastic my own brain is sometimes if I ever carried it.

It would make for a cool stocking stuffer this Christmas, though! :cool:

nate89
10-23-14, 20:10
Looks like a good idea, but I'll still with my Otis cleaning kit. If you didn't already have a compact cleaning kit I would have no problems using it, but it's not enough to get me to replace what I already use, which works.

Avtech850
10-23-14, 20:20
I dig it. It's definitely a novel item too me but it has the all important grin factor for me!

MikeDawg46L
10-23-14, 21:34
I may pick up one of the empty ones to keep in a mag pouch on one of my rifle cases. I'm usually carrying a few mags in them and the rest are in an ammo can, so wouldn't really lose any critical space on range trips. My EDC rifle case always has the loaded mags anyway.

Nice idea. I dig stuff like this when it is useful and not just some novelty turd that doesn't serve a purpose.

Tapatalk'd

SilverBullet432
10-23-14, 21:43
Hey I think its innovative, fits right in a mag pouch and GO!

TomMcC
10-24-14, 02:27
I use it to chase a wet patch around the inside of the barrel extension, works very well and doesn't come in actual contact metal to metal.

This I can see. I'm not much of a scraper type.

SuaSponte175
10-24-14, 03:17
It's different... but I'll pass.

Dave_M
10-24-14, 04:29
Peter Palma (from, 'Top Shot') is a part of this.

These remind me of the German G3 cleaning kits, which were also magazine roughly shaped/size (at least for 20rnd 7.62N mags ;) )
I have one in the basement someplace but pulled this up online (shown with a CETME)
http://i58.tinypic.com/ftkifn.jpg

mark5pt56
10-24-14, 06:19
I wouldn't advise to place this into a pouch on your person, should go without saying-- However, if need be, an exception would be in a pack, etc if "really" on a long mission.

I treat any "take along" kits more from the standpoint of getting the gun back up if you had a stuck case, got excessively dirty, etc.

Another option--- and s/h is about 20

http://www.platatac.com/field-utility-cleaning-kit-mkii.html

3ACR_Scout
10-25-14, 12:31
I appreciate the innovation in this kit, but I'm just not a big fan of plastic cases like this - I'd have to test it to see how resistant it is to crushing / cracking / etc. I've just always preferred soft cases for small tools that have a little give to them when placed in a pack, attached to gear, or getting tossed around. I've always like this military issue Gerber / Otis kit, which Amazon has a great deal on right now ($64.99):

Gerber 22-01100 Military Gun Cleaning Tool Kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JVRPSA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/176-3389732-7511304?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0MCXX09FBTV0AGGD3QZK&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_i=B000PBB8CS)

For another $25, you get a Gerber multi-plier (which I always want to have in my kit), the Otis kit, and a (admittedly mediocre but usable) flashlight. I like having this kit attached to the side of my assault pack or day pack, or in the side pocket of my range bag. This magazine-sized kit is kind of neat, but I really don't find it burdensome to carry the Gerber kit around.

Of course, I'll admit that I often end up still using my old GI cleaning kit in the green nylon pouch...

Dave

Swatdude1
10-27-14, 23:31
I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but I don't think I'll get one for the range. I've watched people stuff flashlights, knives, multitools - all sorts of stuff into a magwell.

I use one of these: http://www.emdomusa.com/Emdom-MM-KitMat-p/eu074a.htm

It's about the same size, and I can break down and troubleshoot someone's AR bolt or Glock slide, and not lose any parts thanks to the velcro. It also holds a disassembled cleaning rod, for clearing an obstruction.

I think the mag-shapped doodad would be handy to put parts in on a range. I'm just worried about how spastic my own brain is sometimes if I ever carried it.

It would make for a cool stocking stuffer this Christmas, though! :cool:

Yeah, that would really suck to get into an impromptu fire fight and stuff what you think is your last mag into the gun only to find out... Doh!! It's a cleaning kit.

And by the way, has anyone every seriously tapped out a stuck case with an Otis cable and their little obstruction remover???

3 AE
10-28-14, 01:24
To clear up any confusion on said product and it's use and stowage, paying particular attention to questions 3 & 4.

http://www.mscleankits.com/faqs.html

JohnnyC
10-28-14, 01:42
Got one on the kickstarter. It's cool. Handy to throw in the range bag.

Dave_M
10-29-14, 00:21
To clear up any confusion on said product and it's use and stowage, paying particular attention to questions 3 & 4.

http://www.mscleankits.com/faqs.html

I'm dying over the, "we purposely engineered a level of natural selection into our product." part!