PDA

View Full Version : question: 556 suppressor for shorter than 10inch barrel

Voodoo_Man
10-23-14, 16:29
I am looking to get info on suppressors, 556, that can be mounted on shorter than 10" barrels (that would not void the warranty), "mini" style preferred.

I heard the ops inc mini is one, but didn't see any info on barrel size minimums on their website.

Anyone have any info on this?

Bluto
10-23-14, 16:47
Ops inc is no more, but Allen engineering will build you an identical can.

Their cans are built for the 11.5" Colt barrels. The mount brings them a couple millimeters away from the FSB. When they were still in business, I don't think they warrantied them for anything shorter.

Under 10 inch... I think you have just two viable options...
SilencerCo will warranty the Saker down to 7.5" and Surefire down to 10".

I have the Saker on a 7.5". VERY LOUD, but usable.

That being said, if I knew then what I know now I would not have spent the time and money on it.

I have an 11.5" with the Ops Inc M4S can and another 11.5" with the SOCOM mini. The SOCOM SB is supposed to be just a couple DB louder and is 1.2" longer.

I like the Ops Inc more... shorter, lighter and with a better mounting system, but the brake is a bitch to install yourself (had mine done at ADCO).

Also, while I can shoot the SOCOM rifle without the can (it has a flash hider, not a brake), I cannot do the same with the Ops. That brake is just a killer.

IraqVet1982
10-23-14, 16:49
No matter what you use you should always check for keyholes/tumbling to prevent baffle strikes.

Voodoo_Man
10-23-14, 16:54
Thanks for the info.

So there is no company that currently warranties down to 7.5 aside from the saker?

IraqVet1982
10-23-14, 17:00
I didn't know any company had barrel length restrictions. I know Huntertown warranties against anything but stupid.

Bluto
10-23-14, 17:01
I don't think so... But I promise you that you will regret it as soon as you try it. the length/weight of the Saker offsets the length/weight you chop off going to 7.5"...
7.5" barrel + 6.7" Saker = 14.2"
10.5" barrel + 5" Surefire mini = 15.5"

7.5" barrel + 6.7" Saker = Barely usable... definitely NOT "hearing safe"
10.5" barrel + 5" Surefire mini = 15.5"... Acceptable sound reduction, better on unburnt gasses, stability, reliability, etc...

1.3" is just not worth the sacrifice...

Like I said before.. "If I knew then what I know now I would not have spent the time and money on it."...

MAP
10-23-14, 17:08
The Surefire SOCOM556-SB is designed for barrels under 10" It is not a "mini". I've used mine on a RA XCR 5.56 with 10" barrel without any problems.

http://www.surefire.com/socom556-sb.html

Mike

Voodoo_Man
10-23-14, 17:08
Thanks again.

I will keep doing research, just wanted to see what people thought.

BigWaylon
10-23-14, 19:11
I didn't know any company had barrel length restrictions. I know Huntertown warranties against anything but stupid.
You might want to check that out a bit deeper.

Directly from their Warranty page:

Huntertown Arms warranties its silencers for life. If you are doing something that you can imagine yourself being laughed at on YouTube, think twice and then don't do it. Some examples of non-warranty claims:
•Using on a barrel that is shorter than min. specification on product page (Check the specific suppressor's webpage.

Then, directly from the Kestrel 556 page:

Minimum barrel length: 11.5 inches

Didn't check them all, but most of their cans list a minimum barrel length.

Every manufacturer I've ever looked into has minimum barrel length ratings.

lunchbox
10-23-14, 19:26
Check out new Specwar K series (not released yet), or 762 Specwar. http://www.silencershop.com/shop/silencerco-specwar-556/ They are rated down to 7" barrel. I almost waited for them to come out, but got anxious and got 556 Specwar on way. Depending on 41p, K series might be coming too.

ETA From link--“Our goal with the K version of the Specwar was to create the shortest and lightest hearing-safe 5.56mm silencer available,” noted Josh Waldron, CEO of SilencerCo. “This K version of the Specwar will still carry our lifetime warranty and can be used for full auto fire on barrel lengths down to 7 inches.”

Voodoo_Man
10-23-14, 19:34
Check out new Specwar K series (not released yet), or 762 Specwar. http://www.silencershop.com/shop/silencerco-specwar-556/ They are rated down to 7" barrel. I almost waited for them to come out, but got anxious and got 556 Specwar on way. Depending on 41p, K series might be coming too.

ETA From link--“Our goal with the K version of the Specwar was to create the shortest and lightest hearing-safe 5.56mm silencer available,” noted Josh Waldron, CEO of SilencerCo. “This K version of the Specwar will still carry our lifetime warranty and can be used for full auto fire on barrel lengths down to 7 inches.”

That one sounds like it fits the bill.

Thanks for the link, I will have to do some more research and contact them to see what exactly their warranty policy is.

GrahamKAC
10-23-14, 19:54
A 30 caliber can may be your best option for a 7.5". The AAC SDN-6 is a well respected can that's been around a couple years.

But with the increased length a 30 caliber can has, you may very well end up longer than a comparable 10.3" 5.56 + 5.56 can setup.

Depends on the configuration.

TXBK
10-23-14, 20:18
That one sounds like it fits the bill.

Thanks for the link, I will have to do some more research and contact them to see what exactly their warranty policy is.

Yes, you better check with SilencerCo. There may be a discrepancy with the statement about the Specwar K on SilencerShop's site. I think that the Saker K is good to go down to 7", but not the Specwar. Big Waylon may have gotten clarification, but I can't remember if the issue was resolved or not.

bullitt
10-23-14, 21:31
A shop local to me says the Delta P Brevis 5.56 Compact suppressor is good down to a 7" barrel. I looked up the manual on the company's website and it does indeed list minimum barrel length as 7". I have no experience with them, but it's another option. Maybe someone with experience with them can add more.

NickB
10-23-14, 22:29
The Saker-K (5.8" OAL) is warrantied down to a 7.5" barrel, and makes for a nice, compact package. That said, nothing on a 7.5" 5.56 is going to be quiet, and the ballistics are going to suck. My personal favorite setup is a 10.5" Mk18 with Saker-K or Specwar-K.

lunchbox
10-23-14, 22:42
My bad VooDoo, didn't mean to give you bad info. In my defense quote was from CEO, so I thought was GTG. Sorry.

NickB
10-23-14, 22:44
My bad VooDoo, didn't mean to give you bad info. In my defense quote was from CEO, so I thought was GTG. Sorry.

Yeah, I think that was a typo. That said, we do have a full lifetime warranty on everything, and we'll warranty stupidity at least once. ;)

Iraqgunz
10-23-14, 22:51
I saw the Specwar K at NASGW along with the Saker K and they were very nice. I was amazed at the OAL and length and look forward to doing some testing. I recommend you stay away from 7.5" for a variety of reasons. Unless you just want short and cool looking.

TXBK
10-23-14, 23:00
My personal favorite setup is a 10.5" Mk18 with Saker-K or Specwar-K.

I can't wait for this to be mine as well.

Dave_M
10-24-14, 02:05
A 30 caliber can may be your best option for a 7.5". The AAC SDN-6 is a well respected can that's been around a couple years.

But with the increased length a 30 caliber can has, you may very well end up longer than a comparable 10.3" 5.56 + 5.56 can setup.

Depends on the configuration.

That's what I've seen done before with stupid short 5.56 guns (like the Galil MAR and the Hk53... Both ~8.3" barrels (210mm v 211mm)). While OAL is certainly increased when suppressed, it's still shorter when not wearing the can.

Voodoo_Man
10-24-14, 06:10
Thanks again guys, I sent an email to silencerco to get clarification.

BigWaylon
10-24-14, 08:21
Thanks again guys, I sent an email to silencerco to get clarification.
Clarification on what?

One of their VPs responded to you in this thread.

The Saker 762, 556 and 556K, and the Specwar 762 are rated down to 7" on 5.56. The Specwar 556 and 556K are rated down to 10".

Voodoo_Man
10-24-14, 09:55
I went back and looks like I missed NickB's post in reference to the size.

Got a response back pretty quickly from the inof@silencerco email

Thank you for your questions regarding the SilencerCo Specwar 762 suppressor. For the calibers of .223/5.56, 300BLK, and 6.8SPC your minimum barrel length is 7". For .308 the minimum is 12", and the Magnum cartridges up to 300 Remington Ultra Mag, 20" minimum. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Now to find a place which has them in stock and may offer an LE discount for the Specwar 762.

Thanks again guys.

TehLlama
10-24-14, 11:56
The advantage in my mind for the Specwar is that you can run the 7.62 end cap and be in good shape on the shorter setups, which makes that a phenomenally flexible can - the fact that you could toss it on a 8-10" 300BLK may/may not be an added selling point too.

Late to the party, but FWIW here's what I run:
It would require some slightly janky handguard arrangements, but if you're looking at minimal OAL (I designed this dual stamp unit to fit in a 29.5" tennis racket bag WITH the M4S mounted on it) there is some merit to the OPS/Allen reflex cans (in M4M, M4S, or 14th guise) on a 10.5" barrel. It's still got pretty solid muzzle velocity for the length, none of the odd 7.5" gassing issues, and can easily be made from cutting down a 16" unit and be gassed quite well for a dedicated suppressed unit.

http://i62.tinypic.com/mw5s1x.jpg

NickB
10-24-14, 12:00
I went back and looks like I missed NickB's post in reference to the size.

Got a response back pretty quickly from the inof@silencerco email

Now to find a place which has them in stock and may offer an LE discount for the Specwar 762.

Thanks again guys.

Sorry for the confusion on this. Edited with correct info per our customer service staff: To clarify, the four suppressors we warranty down to a 7.5" barrel 5.56 are the Saker 556, Saker-K 556, Saker 762, & Specwar 762. The Specwar 556 & Specwar-K 556 are rated for a 10.5" barrel on 5.56.

BigWaylon
10-24-14, 13:15
The advantage in my mind for the Specwar is that you can run the 7.62 end cap and be in good shape on the shorter setups, which makes that a phenomenally flexible can - the fact that you could toss it on a 8-10" 300BLK may/may not be an added selling point too.

Huh? I think you're referring to the Saker for interchangeable end caps.

BigWaylon
10-24-14, 13:19
Sorry for the confusion on this. To clarify, the only two suppressors we warranty down to a 7.5" barrel 5.56 are the Saker 556 & Saker-K 556 due to the robust blast baffle design that we call the Hoplon Baffle. The Saker 762 and all Specwar suppressors are rated down to a 10.5" barrel 5.56. this info was updated/corrected in NickB's previous post
That's not what the reps are telling everybody. I've seen both KC and Andrew say something similar to this:

Originally Posted By kc_silencerco
The Specwar 556 is rated down to a 10" barrel, The Specwar 762, Saker 556, and Saker 762 are rated for 7" barrels in 5.56. For .308 we rate the Specwar 762 and Saker 762 down to 12".

And then for the K versions:

Originally Posted By kc_silencerco:
The Specwar K is rated down to a 10" barrel just like the standard Specwar

The Saker K, thanks to the Hoplon baffle, is rated down to 7" barrel.

Both are still full-auto rated

TehLlama
10-24-14, 13:36
Huh? I think you're referring to the Saker for interchangeable end caps.

Yeah, I had the Saker and the 556-K Specwar confused - I still don't see why the 7.62 Specwar would have an issue on a 5.56SBR, at least on the end cap diameter, but I suspect at round count the first baffle on ay 7.5" setup is just getting explosively media blasted with every shot (and then it gets hot). I'd still argue that a shorter smaller can and a bit more barrel length are still preferable unless a very specific OAL is being sought.

NickB
10-24-14, 14:10
That's not what the reps are telling everybody. I've seen both KC and Andrew say something similar to this:

And then for the K versions:

Wow, I've been telling people wrong. Just edited my comment with the correct information from our customer service team. My apologies!

BigWaylon
10-24-14, 14:18
Wow, I've been telling people wrong. Just edited my comment with the correct information from our customer service team. My apologies!
Just curious. You've posted 7.5"/10.5" each time, and KC/Andrew/etc always say 7"/10". Does the 1/2" make a difference?

And don't be too worried...your CEO released incorrect info in the K Series press release. ;)

NickB
10-24-14, 14:24
Just curious. You've posted 7.5"/10.5" each time, and KC/Andrew/etc always say 7"/10". Does the 1/2" make a difference?

And don't be too worried...your CEO released incorrect info in the K Series press release. ;)

I say 7.5" and 10.5" because I do not know of anyone who makes 7.0" or 10.0" barrels - they are always 7.5" and 10.3", 10.4", or 10.5" to my knowledge. But no, .5" doesn't make a difference, so shoot with confidence. Haha.

BigWaylon
10-24-14, 14:36
I say 7.5" and 10.5" because I do not know of anyone who makes 7.0" or 10.0" barrels - they are always 7.5" and 10.3", 10.4", or 10.5" to my knowledge. But no, .5" doesn't make a difference, so shoot with confidence. Haha.
I added a note to my earlier post where I quoted you so nobody reads the wrong info.

BTW...somebody at SiCo might want to touch base with Silencer Shop. They use the Josh Waldron quote in their description of the Specwar K 556 (http://www.silencershop.com/shop/silencerco-specwar-556/) saying full-auto rated down to 7". I know a lot of people use their site when researching.

bnanaphone
10-24-14, 15:40
VooDoo Man,

I will add that the Specwar762, though an awesome can, is long (at 9") and heavy (at 24 oz). I have one and on my 11.5" BCM SBR it gets tiresome quickly. Definitely not something you want to be doing long drills with or carrying for long periods. It rocks when you are shooting a .308 while prone, with support.

Now that I have it, I am on the wait list for the Specwar K 556 from Silencer Shop. I know it won't help you much, but a silencer that is just over 10 oz lighter and nearly 3 inches shorter will be refreshing. Good luck.

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/dbecker227/IMG_0506_zps0f5359bc.jpg

NickB
10-24-14, 17:58
VooDoo Man,

I will add that the Specwar762, though an awesome can, is long (at 9") and heavy (at 24 oz). I have one and on my 11.5" BCM SBR it gets tiresome quickly. Definitely not something you want to be doing long drills with or carrying for long periods. It rocks when you are shooting prone with support though.

Now that I have it, I am on the wait list for the Specwar K 556 from Silencer Shop. I know it won't help you much, but a silencer that is just over 10 oz lighter and nearly 3 inches shorter will be refreshing. Good luck.

The Specwar-K is awesome - I have one on my DD MK18 and it's a great setup.

Aries144
10-24-14, 20:59
ghjkl

NickB
10-24-14, 21:03
If that barrel length is a requirement and longevity is a concern at all, the Saker or Saker K really seem like the way to go because of the Stellite baffles and the reversed "Hoplon" baffle that is designed specifically to address wear issues in conjunction with short barrels.

The Hoplon baffle does do wonderful things in terms of durability on short barrels, but keep in mind that all our silencers carry a 100% lifetime warranty. If you truly do shoot it enough to damage the suppressor, send it back - we'll replace the baffle stack free of charge.