PDA

View Full Version : M4 for $675??

maze
06-21-08, 18:04
I found a local gun shop today. I found that the owner assembles AR's and actually teaches classes to individuals on Sundays to those interested. Anyhow, he had a few AR's in the shop assembled. I checked them all out. He had a 16" flat top upper on a spikes lower, with Del-ton barrel 1/9 twist, basic hand guards and collapsible stock. I didn't get inside to check the staking of all the parts, however he had 675 on the rifle?? WTF I asked myself. Is this worth it or not? Of course after upgrades, it will equal over 1000.00. What do you think??:rolleyes:

Failure2Stop
06-21-08, 18:06
Firearms, cars and women. . .
you get what you pay for.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-21-08, 18:41
Are Del-ton barrels chrome lined?

SuicideHz
06-21-08, 19:11
They probably are chrome lined, but it's just a guess. That seems to be what everyone is cranking out these days and for that price, the builder is definitely buying what's most common and easiest to buy for the least amount of money

Nothing wrong with that as long as they suit his customers' needs.

ThirdWatcher
06-21-08, 19:13
G&R Tactical has a package available for $659 (sans hammer & trigger to avoid the FET). It looks like it is built of quality parts, too.

yingpow
06-21-08, 19:38
You do get what you pay for. Chrome lined barrels are trouble free and not on $675 rifles. CAR stocks vary wildly price wise and quality wise. Stay away from the cheap chicom stocks - they rattle and the springs and buffers are junk long term. If the upper and lower fit well with no or little play - that is good.
I have been building them for years and have learned by trial and error. I build them so that if I need to sell one - I am comfortable in knowing the rifle was a good one.

Chief_Wiggum
06-21-08, 19:58
Grant's got an awesome deal for a complete Stag rifle for $659:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13279

What's great about this gun is it has the excellent BCM BCG, H Buffer, and milspec receiver extension. Plus you know Grant assembles them right. I think this is a smoking deal for what you're getting in a carbine.

yingpow
06-21-08, 20:50
Stags are great values! Most of my custom builds start with a hand fitted Stag upper and lower, I even keep the barrels sometimes since they are chrome lined.
And yes the extension tubes are milspec.

Delton is ok - but unless you specify chrome lined barrels - you get chrome moly and need to do the break- in routine or you trash the lands and grooves.

Jgyolai
06-21-08, 21:20
If I recall correctly, I think that DPMS owns Del-ton. I think Del-ton might use DPMS parts. I could be wrong.

KUmike
06-21-08, 23:09
Stags are great values! Most of my custom builds start with a hand fitted Stag upper and lower, I even keep the barrels sometimes since they are chrome lined.
And yes the extension tubes are milspec.

Delton is ok - but unless you specify chrome lined barrels - you get chrome moly and need to do the break- in routine or you trash the lands and grooves.

Sorry newish guy trying to figure this out. How do you hand fit an AR upper and lower? Do you purchase oversize components and then file them down. Does that ruin the andonizing on the aluminum? Just curious.
Thanks,
Mike

yingpow
06-22-08, 05:30
I just go to the dealer(s) and go through the uppers and lowers with takedown pins to find the ones that fit the best together with no or minimal play. Stag and CMT are often machined to the best tollerance. You will find big name brands often have the loosest fit (rocking of the upper in the lower). Of couse you can always add one of the red rear upper recevier inserts cushions to tighten anything up. The Stag rifles G&R has probably are your best deal right now. Great platform to build on or just shoot as is.