PDA

View Full Version : Mass layoff prep

elwoodcg
10-24-14, 10:00
I'm not sure if this is the right forum so, mods, please move if need be.

Hypothetically, you're a manager at a firm with an impending mass layoff planned, what precautions would you take to ensure your personal security under the circumstances below?

Company is headquartered very close to recent mass-riot events.
Employees know it's coming but don't know who's impacted.
You don't have any concerns about anyone that works directly for you.
Primary concern is the unknown...
There is a decent security presence at said firm but they're not visibly armed.
Company policies don't allow for carry.
Since you're mgt, you have to be there.
Security plan of firm has not been communicated to managers.

What would you do to look after yourself first and foremost in this situation?

markm
10-24-14, 10:52
That compact M&P pistol comes to mind. You can deep conceal that sucker. Short of that... those ballistic panels that can be placed in a brief case or back pack offer protection to vitals should someone go postal.

Hmac
10-24-14, 11:15
In addition to being very vigilant, I'd carry a gun very discreetly.

jpgm
10-24-14, 11:34
I concealed a glock 19 w/ spare magazine unnoticed in a smartcarry for so long that it wore out. Highly recommended.

jpgm

elwoodcg
10-24-14, 11:40
Good call on the ballistic panel. Hope I can justify that to the wife... I'm good on the other front? How about travel to and from work? Backup supplies in vehicle and desk?

jbjh
10-24-14, 11:50
Travel door lock in your desk drawer. If shooting starts, you want to get behind a closed and locked door. Banging it out in a cube farm would be my very last choice.
Something like this -
http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/portable-door-lock.html

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

elwoodcg
10-24-14, 12:41
It's a total cube farm. What offices there are have frosted glass and auto-sensing lights.

WickedWillis
10-24-14, 13:07
So in planning a mass layoff, do these employees know it's going to happen yet? Seems like you are taking a big step in personal safety for just a manager. I don't know, it seems like an awful lot of foreshadowing.

polosatik
10-24-14, 13:20
Karma is a bitch... Often those who implement the first one get their own axe during the second round.

Get yourself a nice leather folio and put both an AR500 plate and an updated resume in it. ;)

Update: I would not be concerned about somebody getting postal during a generic layoff unless there is more involved.

Laid off workers will loose their access to the building so regular building security should suffice while you are inside. If you have an outside unsecured parking lot, I would call a cab to the entrance on that day, or arranged for a shuttle for the whole execution/tive team.

NWPilgrim
10-24-14, 13:24
I would be concerned about leaving the building and getting to my vehicle. I would wear or take clothes similar to line workers and backpack or whatever they use rather than briefcase or laptop carrier. Don't strut around outside as obvious manager type. And leave at odd time, not when everyone rushes out at 5pm. Either leave at 3 or so, or 6:30. Or leave with your work team buddies in a group.

I would also let my team know I will give them recommendations for job apps or other appropriate support to find work.

markm
10-24-14, 13:33
Spartan Armor had that flexible panel that was like IIIa rated.

weez440
10-25-14, 19:13
i don't know what the laws are where you live or how you get to work but where i live a company can make it illegal for us to conceal carry. but the law doesn't have a say about keeping one in our vehicle. we have had layoffs in the past and i carried in my vehicle discreetly for a few days. also i spend a lot of my time in about 4 places in the workplace i have a thought out exit for if the shtf. obviously that would determine which direction the person intent on doing harm is at. the place i work is about 250,000 square feet and 1 story with a couple of office area's that are 2 story, pretty open concept with lots of exits. for those that never been in there it is like a maze but i am familiar with every square inch of the place that would give me an advantage. they do have security measures but it would be easy to get past them.

Hmac
10-25-14, 19:36
i don't know what the laws are where you live or how you get to work but where i live a company can make it illegal for us to conceal carry. but the law doesn't have a say about keeping one in our vehicle.
If you're in Minnesota, companies can't make it illegal to carry a gun, but as an at-will work state they can fire you for any reason at all, including carrying a gun, unless you have a contractual agreement that specifically prohibits it.

The law in Minnesota does have a say about keeping your gun in your vehicle....they say that if you have a permit, your employer can't prohibit you from keeping your gun in your car in their parking lot.

Grizz12
10-25-14, 19:50
I dont know what the dress attire is for mgmt in your company but there are companies making bullet proof back packs and brief cases

elwoodcg
10-25-14, 20:32
I'm good on the legal front but would be surely fired if I was made. I'm kicking around putting one of these in a laptop bag.
http://www.thetargetman.com/product/iiia-spartan-soft-body-armor-semi-flexible/ thoughts?

It's something I could possibly use down the road since I don't regularly travel with the laptop bag or wear a backpack to work. As unlikely as it is that there will be an issue, a rifle threat is even less likely since the parking lot will probably be patrolled.

This is a white-collar environment and layoffs are equal opportunity at all levels. I really don't expect an issue or I wouldn't be there but events unfold around the country every day that are unanticipated.

SOWT
10-28-14, 11:36
Spartan Armor had that flexible panel that was like IIIa rated.

This as a starter.
Some sort of soft armor, and start wearing it as soon as you get it so people get used to a "puffed up" shirt.

Obviously you carry at risk of losing your job.
Historically, how close is the shooter to the target? Arms length? longer?
I ask because a small knife, or "tactical" pen might buy enough time to get away.

Good luck.

elwoodcg
10-28-14, 12:58
This as a starter.
Some sort of soft armor, and start wearing it as soon as you get it so people get used to a "puffed up" shirt.

Obviously you carry at risk of losing your job.
Historically, how close is the shooter to the target? Arms length? longer?
I ask because a small knife, or "tactical" pen might buy enough time to get away.

Good luck.

I can't really justify wearing armor on my person. While it would surely be more effective than in a briefcase, I dot anticipate being specifically targeted. I could probably get away with it but it seems overkill. It's more that in could be a random bystander if someone flips. A threat could be at arms length or a hundred feet with our building layout.

I just don't want to be an unlucky schmo if shit goes south.

GunBugBit
10-28-14, 15:19
I could face this same eventuality in my position, though I do not work in a bad area.

Crotch carry. I'll be fired if I have to use it but if I'm fired that means I'm still alive.

soulezoo
11-20-14, 13:01
I've been through this a few times with as many as 150 employees. Mostly blue collar with office types mixed in. Without giving all the details I've found that all the people, even at their angriest, end up acting like the people in WW II stuffed into the boxcars on the way to the gas chambers... they just seem to accept the fate and don't do a whole lot else.

That's not to say I am suggesting no need to be aware, be prepared or anything else... YMMV.

elwoodcg
11-20-14, 13:41
Fortunately, everything went fine. As the poster above said, those impacted that I knew felt resigned and just rolled with it. Now, we're preparing for Ferguson riots. Good times.