PDA

View Full Version : ? on breech plug cleaning

platoonDaddy
10-24-14, 16:48
Since my question didn't fall under General Firearms category (at least I didn't see) I posted here. Unable to remove whatever is in the in-line Thompson Center breech plug, it doesn't hinder the precision of the MZ. Being anal, I just would love to see a clear path from the primer hole through the flash channelt.

Looking through the primer pocket, I see what looks like a few cob webs (I am sure there is a better description of what it looks like).

Performed the following to remove:

1. soaked in Hoppe's #9 for hours, then used multiple pipe cleaners through the primer pocket

2. fired off multiple primes

3. located a fine wire that I was able to push from the flash channel through the breech

4. used a breech brush

Any words of wisdom?

EDIT: New tires added to my vehicle today, so the shop shot air through the flash channel without any solution.

MBtech
10-24-14, 17:57
That's wierd, probably too small to take a picture..?..
Sounds like all you have done should be clean as a whistle.

MBtech
10-24-14, 18:14
I've used steel wool and PB Blaster on tough cleaning on an old CVA I had years ago inside the breech cavity that had gotten rusty and cruddy.

platoonDaddy
10-24-14, 19:41
I've used steel wool and PB Blaster on tough cleaning on an old CVA I had years ago inside the breech cavity that had gotten rusty and cruddy.

The breech brush is a typical brush and has zero impact on whatever is in there. Located an old bottle of lead removal that has been collecting dust. The breech plug is currently soaking and will check it in the am.

If that doesn't work, will see if I can force some steel wool up the primer hole.

Don't believe I will be able to take a picture, will try in am.

MBtech
10-24-14, 20:00
The breech brush is a typical brush and has zero impact on whatever is in there. Located an old bottle of lead removal that has been collecting dust. The breech plug is currently soaking and will check it in the am.

If that doesn't work, will see if I can force some steel wool up the primer hole.

Don't believe I will be able to take a picture, will try in am.

I used a small sharpened wood dowel and coated the steel wool in the penetrating catalyst (PB) may be able to get some stranded out and use kind of like dental floss through the hole

platoonDaddy
10-24-14, 20:02
I used a small sharpened wood dowel and coated the steel wool in the penetrating catalyst (PB) may be able to get some stranded out and use kind of like dental floss through the hole

Dang, will try that tomorrow. Thanks

I also tried the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmj42AnqKs of course without any success. ;)

MBtech
10-24-14, 20:12
Dang, will try that tomorrow. Thanks

I also tried the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmj42AnqKs of course without any success. ;)

Yea,, that was sparkly clean. Probably been shot 5 times and a month old lol... the blond was kinda cute though :)

MBtech
10-24-14, 23:21
Not trying to be a smart a$$ on that comment, they're just promoting the TC product. (just doing their job)
What kind of primers and powder are you using? I used Pyrodex for years and then switched to Triple 7, makes cleaning so much easier.

Mdbwhntr
11-15-14, 06:36
If it was me I would just buy a new breechplug and throw that one in a box for a spare. TC breechplugs are less then $20.

platoonDaddy
11-15-14, 07:18
Late Update: cataract surgery will solve the issue! :)

Was also having an issue with a red dot sight and just so happens I had my yearly eye exam. Big as cow-poop, I need cataract surgery and Doc ensured me that will resolve the issue with the breach plug and red dot.

Bitch getting old.

MBtech
11-15-14, 17:56
Late Update: cataract surgery will solve the issue! :)

Was also having an issue with a red dot sight and just so happens I had my yearly eye exam. Big as cow-poop, I need cataract surgery and Doc ensured me that will resolve the issue with the breach plug and red dot.

Bitch getting old.

Well I gave the best advice I could muster on a muzzleloader cleaning question.
Hope your surgery goes well, and I do agree with the statement above on just getting a new one also, but sounds like you got it under control. Getting old sucks but can't help it, I have floaters in both eyes, drives me nuts

platoonDaddy
11-15-14, 18:52
Well I gave the best advice I could muster on a muzzleloader cleaning question.
Hope your surgery goes well, and I do agree with the statement above on just getting a new one also, but sounds like you got it under control. Getting old sucks but can't help it, I have floaters in both eyes, drives me nuts

All the advice received was good-to-go, it was my eyes seeing an issue that wasn't there. LOL, no matter what I did, the issue was always there, never thought it was an eye issue. For sure I have the cleanest breach plug in the USA.

MBtech
11-16-14, 09:11
For sure I have the cleanest breach plug in the USA.

I bet you do after all that lol, hope Doc fixes you up well!