PDA

View Full Version : I've got questions about getting an AR.

Brett257
06-21-08, 21:31
Hey all,

This is my first post, but I've been reading the forums for about 2 weeks now. I'm finally going to be able to get my first AR. I'm not so concerned about the features i.e. barrel steel. I've got a handle on that stuff. I want more advice onwhich gun to choose.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a LMT complete lower with the SOPMOD stock. I figure if I don't like the stock I can sell it and get something else. My questions concern the upper.

I've been considering a three options:

1. Buy a Noveske N4 Light Recce Basic upper and have fun. $915

2. Have Grant at G&R build me an upper around the Noveske Recce barrel, but instead of regular handguards going with something like a LaRue or Daniel Defense free float rail. But otherwise configured just like the Noveske upper. $1105

3. Have Grant build me a .22lr upper using the TACSOL barrel and BCG. This wouldn't be extravegant, but with the M4 barrel profile and some M4 handguards. $608 according to the thread about them with handguards, ready to bolt on to the lower.

I recognize that a true AR should be 5.56/2.23, but honestly I'm sort of leaning towards the .22lr upper because it would be cost effective to shoot more and get used to the platform. I can go out in my backyard and shoot .22 all day, but .223 would require some extra planning because of backstop issues.

The gun will be used for home defense and plinking. Yes, I know, that .22lr wouldn't be much for HD. I do have a pistol that I've been using (well I haven't had to use it thank goodness, but it's at the ready). I'll eventually get a .223 upper.

I'm not sure I would have the use for the rail and to be quite honest I would consider going without it, but while he's building it would be the time to get it on there with no extra cost.

What do you guys think? Other suggestions?

-Brett

BTW, I love this website.

Paladin4415
06-21-08, 21:53
I think you should go with 5.56 myself. At least for your first one. You can always get the .22 upper later. The LMT lower is a quality product and I think you will like the Sopmod stock. The Noveske Recce is a great upper. If you decide you want it with a free floated rail, just get the low pro setup. The SWS rails that Art makes for John are very nice, and it comes with great flip up sights included.

Packman73
06-21-08, 22:05
Get the 5.56 upper and then get a .22 conversion kit.

Ron S.
06-21-08, 22:07
I'd do it in 5.56, and then if you want .22lr later, pick up a GSG-5. Lots and lots of fun for $499. It's also nice to not have to interchange uppers if you don't want to.

Failure2Stop
06-22-08, 06:47
If you want a superb platform, go with the Noveske or G&R build.
If price is an issue, go with an LMT (not that much more inexpensive though).
If you want something to "get used to" ARs, buy airsoft.

uspopo
06-22-08, 15:27
Ditto, go for a 5.56 first and then 22lr later. LMT, Noveske or one of Grant's builds you can't wrong. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Stan

CLHC
06-22-08, 15:34
If you want a superb platform, go with the Noveske or G&R build.
If price is an issue, go with an LMT (not that much more inexpensive though).
If you want something to "get used to" ARs, buy airsoft.
That last comment about "airsoft" made me have my coffee come through and out my nose!

Anyhou, you can't go wrong with the G&R Custom build, LMT or Noveske. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

eb2007
06-22-08, 16:49
My opinion: get an AR in 5.56 and then spend the 1-200 bucks on a ruger 10/22 or a marlin model 60 to practice and improve your marksmanship skills more cost effectively. You can pick up a used marlin model 60 for around 100 bucks.

RD62
06-22-08, 16:53
Get the .223 first.

-RD62

threefeathers
06-23-08, 14:43
Get the 5.56 while you can. The ones you specified are terrific. Grant is a great guy to deal with.