PDA

View Full Version : VP9 trigger reach

ruchik
10-25-14, 05:38
Does anyone who has a VP9 tell me how long the trigger reach is? I've got really small hands (men's small gloves, even extra small will fit), and I'm wondering if my hand would fit this gun with the smallest inserts. Maybe a comparison to an M&P 9?

Hmac
10-25-14, 07:58
2.78 inches

http://www.gunblast.com/HK-VP9.htm
http://www.levelsights.com/Trigger-Reach.asp

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-25-14, 14:37
It felt smaller than the P30 or M&P with smallest inserts. I have medium small hands.

Ed L.
10-25-14, 15:47
The VP9's HK backstrap extends higher and deeper behind the slide, allowing the shooter to grip it deeper than they could with a P30. This would work well for someone with small hands, especially when you combine this with the VP9's different side backstraps and sidestraps.

w3453l
10-25-14, 16:40
I have small hands, and even with the medium sized panels + back strap it fits me fine. I still haven't tried the small back strap or panels, but I'll probably do it soon

TexasGunNut
10-25-14, 16:51
Interestingly I have large hands and after messing around I went back to the smaller back and side panels. I don't have a significant round count through mine but I don't anticipate going to the larger inserts.

Hmac
10-25-14, 19:40
I have small hands, and even with the medium sized panels + back strap it fits me fine. I still haven't tried the small back strap or panels, but I'll probably do it soon

I wear size medium gloves...not especially large hands. The small backstrap panel of the VP9 and the PPQ feel much better in my hand, but at the range, shooting the thing, I find that I shoot both guns much better with the large backstrap/panels.

The trigger reach is virtually identical between the VP9 and the PPQ 9mm.

ruchik
10-26-14, 03:24
I wear size medium gloves...not especially large hands. The small backstrap panel of the VP9 and the PPQ feel much better in my hand, but at the range, shooting the thing, I find that I shoot both guns much better with the large backstrap/panels.

The trigger reach is virtually identical between the VP9 and the PPQ 9mm.

Damn. That's what I was afraid of. I really have to crank my hand around to get good finger placement on the trigger with the PPQ. Yup, my hands are that small. I can even fit all of my digits onto a XDs or Shield.

Hmac
10-26-14, 09:19
Damn. That's what I was afraid of. I really have to crank my hand around to get good finger placement on the trigger with the PPQ. Yup, my hands are that small. I can even fit all of my digits onto a XDs or Shield.

I only meant that actually shooting it compared to just holding it in the gun store might be two different things. It's conceivable that the additional side panels on the VP9 might make that grip more suitable for you than the PPQ even though the trigger reach is the same.

1_click_off
10-26-14, 14:41
Ever thought about just taking the side panels and back strap off, build it up with epoxy and then shape it just for you? We are only talking a $600 plastic pistol. True it is an investment, but not a life savings hit if it doesn't turn out well. If it fits your hands perfect after that, you won't have had to settle and it will truly be "Your pistol".

Just a thought.

ruchik
10-26-14, 16:25
I actually have thought about that. But I didn't want to spend $600 to find out I didn't like it, especially if the trigger reach is too much for me to begin with.

1_click_off
10-26-14, 18:16
I actually have thought about that. But I didn't want to spend $600 to find out I didn't like it, especially if the trigger reach is too much for me to begin with.

I can pop the panels off mine tonight and give you the dimensions stripped. PM if you need them. I can give P30 dimensions too if needed.

ruchik
10-29-14, 22:24
Got to handle a VP9 in person today.

I'm starting to doubt removing the backstrap and filling it in with epoxy, like the grip reductions for M&P's Diversified Firearm Concepts does, will help any. That trigger reach is just too damned long for me. Granted, I didn't get to hold it without the side panels or backstrap in place (store policy).

montrala
10-30-14, 05:05
Got to handle a VP9 in person today.

Did it have all small panels (back, left and right) installed or was it "out of the box"?

ruchik
10-30-14, 15:19
It was out of the box, so I believe it had all the medium parts installed on it. I wasn't allowed to put all the small panels on, but I couldn't see just how much a difference it would have made.

Hmac
10-30-14, 15:47
You may be relegated to a smaller pistol. Consider a Walther PPS. It is single stack, so reach is less of an issue, and it comes with multiple backstrap sizes. It is available in 9mm or .40 cal and in many ways shoots like a full-size pistol. You might also find that the trigger-guard magazine release allows faster mag changes without having to shift your grip in order to hit a conventional mag release button with your thumb. My wife has pretty small hands. She has a PPS too and finds it very comfortable to grip and shoot well.

montrala
10-30-14, 16:38
I wasn't allowed to put all the small panels on, but I couldn't see just how much a difference it would have made.

If it is similar to P30 (I believe it is), then it makes big difference. I know how big it is to me going up from medium to large. Going down from medium to small is similar. At least my not-wife says so.

Try to go to range with rental VP9 and try. It seems only option for you. Or go to HKPro and look for member with VP9 in your area - we love converting people to HK ;)

Tulsa
10-30-14, 20:16
I wear a size small gloves but the M&P9 and 40, and the VP9, all feel great in my hands. The M&P 45 is too big, though. Even with my small hands I still prefer the large back straps on both the Smith & Wesson's and on the VP9.