PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else excited about the Steiner T5XI 1-5x?

JoshNC
10-25-14, 08:50
I have been sitting on the fence regarding a 1-x optic for about two years. I've been considering the Leupy mk8 cqbss, Leupy mk6 1-6 with TMR-D reticle, Kahles k16i, and Trijicon VCOG.

I was following the discussion on SH (the old site) about the soon to be released Steiner T5xi series - made in the US, same glass as the M5xi line, and some nice turret features.

The 1-5x looks great and appears to be at a very competitive price point. I think I am finally ready to get off the fence.

http://mobile.eurooptic.com/steiner-t5xi-1-5x24-riflescope-762-reticle-mpn-5102.aspx

n517rv
10-25-14, 08:56
It says the "reticle position" is "second"... I assume that means it's second focal plane and not FFP, is that correct?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Oldurn
10-25-14, 10:04
I really like Steiner, but their pricing is all over the place, and apparently they aren't too skilled at red dot style illumination yet.

jstalford
10-25-14, 22:48
I want to be excited but I keep going back to the Kahles K15i / K16i. Little more expensive but seems a bit better on paper at least.

I guess we'll see. I have been in the same boat and am totally ready to get off the fence but nothing has quite pushed me off yet.

SuaSponte175
10-25-14, 23:22
It says the "reticle position" is "second"... I assume that means it's second focal plane and not FFP, is that correct?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

You are correct, the reticle is second focal plane.

jwfuhrman
10-26-14, 08:42
Burris owns Steiner now from my understanding(or vice versa). The Burris XTR-II line of optics is more or less Steiner glass. The 1-5 XTR-II is impressive. They also supposedly have a 1-8 & 2-10 and more.

Unreconstructed
10-26-14, 22:04
Burris owns Steiner now from my understanding(or vice versa).

Actually, Beretta owns both Steiner and Burris.

Alex V
10-27-14, 09:18
I love my Steiner 5-25 but I really don't like the reticle on this 1-5. Just not a fan of BDC reticles overall.

jwfuhrman
10-27-14, 09:55
Oh really!?!? interesting

Sensei
03-18-16, 19:52
These are on sale for under $1K as Steiner replaces them with the military series. However, I'm reluctant given T5Xi bashing at the Hide. Does anyone have a lot of hands on experience with the 1-5x.

wesr228
03-18-16, 20:15
I've been eyeing this scope since last year. I don't think these are being replaced by the Military series. Steiner is replacing the older 1-4x model (the Euro Optic special), but the "T5xi" line was just released late 2014, and I believe this model came out even later than that.

I do know the Hide was bashing the T5xi line 5-25's and 3-15's, but apparently Steiner has been able to correct the problem. For one thing, the T5 line was built at a new facility in America., and while Burris and Steiner are both now owned by Berreta, the Burris XTR II's are now built in the Philippines.

The Steiner Military M5xi 1-5 is a $2,300 optic, and I would be hard pressed not to go with Kahles at that price.

I believe ccoker could probably enlighten us on this. Before I get too serious about it, I would like to know what the major differences are between the M5 and T5 1-5x's are, besides $1,000.

Second, and the more realistic comparison for me is the difference in clarity and quality between the Steiner T5xi and the Burris XTRII. As I stated before, been stoked about this optic for over a year, and keep wanting to take a look at it, but just not many reviews at all.

Come on Tactical Gun Review, how about a comparison between the Berreta 1-5x's!

JoshNC
03-19-16, 09:08
One of my friends just bought a t5xi 1-5 for use on his scar17. I hope to shoot with him in the next month.

wesr228
03-19-16, 13:52
Please report back on what you see.

Sensei
03-20-16, 02:54
It would seem that Beretta is creating various tiers with the Steiner Military series being top shelf, T5Xi being mid grade, and Burris being another step down.

WS6
03-20-16, 04:27
Curious about the M5Xi, myself!

IndianaBoy
08-27-16, 11:36
I picked up a T5Xi a few months ago. Finally got the chance to wring it out at 300-500 yards the other day. Mostly good. Very good in fact.

Glass is excellent. Reticle is very very good. Illumination is good. Not quite nuclear bright like my Vortex Razor on 11, but very very good.

Reticle doesn't match up quite as well to 55gr ammo as the JM1 reticle does. (Sidenote, I emailed the guy at Strelok and asked him to bring the reticles over to strelok+, as he already had them in pro. He had it done in less than 24 hours. Awesome guy.)

Anyway I roughed my zero in at 200 yards and was hitting steel from 300-500 with no problems whatsoever. I really really like that the reticle subtensions get finer as you go farther down.

Keep in mind on these pictures, I was just holding my phone behind the scope. Hard to do justice to optical quality at all.

http://i.imgur.com/Isp6XEE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9TPAM0A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LM9FWtO.png

http://i.imgur.com/ldHPkxo.jpg

JoshNC
08-27-16, 16:26
I had the chance to shoot a friend's a few months ago. It is installed on his SCAR17. Great optic. Glass is awesome. Illumination is on par with my Steiner m1-4x. Not as bright as the vortex 1-6 razor hd2, but plenty bright in full daylight sun. It is an excellent optic and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Digital_Damage
08-27-16, 17:04
For the price point they are meh... nothing really awesome.

Fixed 100 parallax
2nd focal
Weird retile choice
Average eye relief
Sub par brightness

The only thing ++ is the 1 x is quite good.

IndianaBoy
08-27-16, 20:31
I find the reticle to be incredibly good.

I don't want FFP in a LPV. The stadia in a 1x are too small to make use of the FFP anyway.

The only thing I have seen brighter is my vortex razor.

JoshNC
08-28-16, 06:37

I don't want FFP in a LPV. The stadia in a 1x are too small to make use of the FFP anyway.

Agreed.

Digital_Damage
08-28-16, 07:57

All the manufactures are going towards more intelligent reticles for LPV for FFP. Leupold, S&B, even Primary Arms and Bushnell got the memo.

Had this debate on here a couple years or so ago, everyone said I was out of touch and had no idea what manufactures were doing or why.

There are very good reasons why they are doing it.

That might be digressing, However I still find nothing exciting about this offering at the price point.

Joelski
08-28-16, 09:25
I learned after I bought the P4Xi that the Steiner US products aren't up to the standard of the German-made ones. When my scope arrived with a seal obscuring the field of view, I moved on. I'm still willing to try the German stuff, but once was enough for the so-called affordable stuff.

IndianaBoy
08-28-16, 13:45
All the manufactures are going towards more intelligent reticles for LPV for FFP. Leupold, S&B, even Primary Arms and Bushnell got the memo.

Had this debate on here a couple years or so ago, everyone said I was out of touch and had no idea what manufactures were doing or why.

That might be digressing, However I still find nothing exciting about this offering at the price point.

So if they put in a large illuminated circle, to make a reticle that is visible in FFP, you still lose the finer stadia for aiming at distance.

Which is a moot point because if you are shooting at distances long enough to need hold overs, you will be on maximum magnification anyway.

Can you enlighten me to the advantage of FFP on a LPV?

I don't like a large portion of my reticle to be illuminated. All I want is a single bright center dot. I see the appeal of FFP on higher magnification scopes. I just don't see what advantages it conveys in a scope that starts at 1x. What's the gain?

I'm not trying to be snarky. Genuinely curious.

If I were looking at a 1-8 or 1-10 scope, FFP would be a necessity.

I don't think the Steiner is quite on par with my Vortex Razor, but so far I have been impressed with it. With the exception of the turrets, which lag far behind the Razor.

Digital_Damage
08-28-16, 15:46
The scope with BDC and SFP basically becomes a 1 OR 5X not a 1-5x. You lose all the versatility the magnification in between provides (field of view, light transmission, etc.) , ranging is of course not an option either.

Most of the high end are FFP reticle, SFP dot. Such as the Minox, it would be perfect if it has half mil marks :(.

The Mid tier, provide close to the same functionality with the inclusion of the "horse shoe". At 50-100 are 1moa dot is not as useful as it sounds in MOM(Minute of Man) engagements.

I guess the SFP would not really be an issue if you are always shooting bench at known distances (debatable the usefulness of that without MIl/half mil, precision would be very lacking) or if you are always @ 100y.

JoshNC
08-28-16, 18:11

S&B 1-8 SD with CC mode is sfp. I prefer sfp in a lpv. You're only ever realistically going to be ranging or using a BDC on the top magnification. A reliable dual focal plane lpv would be ideal, but we don't seem to be there yet.

Digital_Damage
08-28-16, 18:21
S&B 1-8 SD with CC mode is sfp. I prefer sfp in a lpv. You're only ever realistically going to be ranging or using a BDC on the top magnification. A reliable dual focal plane lpv would be ideal, but we don't seem to be there yet.

The new PM II ShortDot with CC is dual.

Dot in SFP and reticle in FFP. Just like the minox.

The old one with both in SFP is being discontinued.

WS6
08-28-16, 19:04
Honestly, I really really like the swfa circle and hashes FFP reticle in their 1-x HD variables. I think if you could stuff that big circle and a Horus into a 1-8, and then project a 2moa illuminated dot like USO in the center, it would be amazing. You have your dot for aimpoint type use, Horus for wind, etc, and the bold swfa type circle for use if illumination takes a dump up close fast and dirty.

That said, I'm simple and use and love the nightforce fc2. Most of my use for magnification is PID and precision, not drop or wind. I did get zerostop for playing at the range or dialing knowns, though. I've played with the mk6, k16i, vcog, and Z6i and razor and wouldn't trade my nf 1-4 for any of em.

IndianaBoy
08-28-16, 20:21
The scope with BDC and SFP basically becomes a 1 OR 5X not a 1-5x. You lose all the versatility the magnification in between provides (field of view, light transmission, etc.) , ranging is of course not an option either.

I guess the SFP would not really be an issue if you are always shooting bench at known distances (debatable the usefulness of that without MIl/half mil, precision would be very lacking) or if you are always @ 100y.

I see your point but in my circumstances the SFP is not a problem for a number of reasons.

1.) I zero at 200 yards, and I have never encountered a situation where a target was more than 250 yards away where I didn't want to be on maximum magnification.

2.) I often use optics at somewhere in between 1-5/6, I have only found this practical in situations like smallish targets from 25-100 yards, when I want enough field of view to keep multiple targets in view at once, without getting lost in the array.

In short, I haven't found a situation yet where the lack of FFP was a hindrance with a 1-5/6x. It simply doesn't matter because if I'm shooting at 250+ yards, full power is where I want to be.

I would wholeheartedly agree that FFP is very desirable in higher magnification optics that are setup in mils.

IndianaBoy
08-28-16, 20:23
Honestly, I really really like the swfa circle and hashes FFP reticle in their 1-x HD variables. I think if you could stuff that big circle and a Horus into a 1-8, and then project a 2moa illuminated dot like USO in the center, it would be amazing. You have your dot for aimpoint type use, Horus for wind, etc, and the bold swfa type circle for use if illumination takes a dump up close fast and dirty.

That would be pretty sweet. Lack of wind holds is probably my biggest reticle criticism of both the Vortex Razor 1-6 and the Steiner we are talking about here.

WS6
08-28-16, 20:55
That would be pretty sweet. Lack of wind holds is probably my biggest reticle criticism of both the Vortex Razor 1-6 and the Steiner we are talking about here.

We aren't the only ones who think it would be sweet.

JoshNC
08-28-16, 23:02
The new PM II ShortDot with CC is dual.

Dot in SFP and reticle in FFP. Just like the minox.

The old one with both in SFP is being discontinued.

Well...crap. That will make me spend money when it is released.

Digital_Damage
08-29-16, 09:09
Well...crap. That will make me spend money when it is released.

Played with one, they did a good job on the demo units. No idea when they hit the market. Two knocks I have is 100m parallax and just a plane Jane mildot cc in+1 mode.

From their product paperwork

With the new version of the 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC Schmidt & Bender present anonther concept of his 8 time magnification riflescopes. In contrast to the 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC CC with a reticle and FlashDot in the 2nd focal plane the new version of the 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC has a FlashDot in the 2nd focal plane and an illuminable reticle at the 1st focal plane. This combines the advantage of both a reflex sight and a riflescope, which is an ideal solution for mobile use in urban terrain from short to medium distances. The FlashDot allows in combination with the CC Mode (Close Combat Mode) the usage as a reflex sight for short distances. In this mode the riflescope has a true 1 time magnification and is parallax free to 7m. By increasing the magnification above the CC Mode the riflescope is parallax free to 100m. Since the FlashDot is located in the 2nd focal plane the size of the dot stays constant. Hereby three different illumination increments are eligible. At higher magnifications the Mildot reticle in the 1st focal plane can be used. Thus a opportunity for a direct measurement of target and object sizes is enabled. With a maximum magnification of 8 the 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC is also an ideal riflescope for identification purposes and operations up to medium distances. Hereby the illumination of the reticle can be regulated in 8 different increments, whereof three are optimized for the usage with a night vision.

With a weight of just 639g, a length of 293mm and a 30mm main tube diameter the 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC is compact 2 in 1 system. Thereby it has a field of view between 35.3m and 4.9m at 100m. The elevation and windage turrets are lockable to protect the zero position against unintentional adjustment. Additionally to the black version of the riflescope it is also in camouflage colours RAL8000 and PANTONE 7504 available.

WS6
08-29-16, 10:07
Played with one, they did a good job on the demo units. No idea when they hit the market. Two knocks I have is 100m parallax and just a plane Jane mildot cc in+1 mode.

With the new version of the 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC Schmidt & Bender present anonther concept of his 8 time magnification riflescopes. In contrast to the 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC CC with a reticle and FlashDot in the 2nd focal plane the new version of the 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC has a FlashDot in the 2nd focal plane and an illuminable reticle at the 1st focal plane. This combines the advantage of both a reflex sight and a riflescope, which is an ideal solution for mobile use in urban terrain from short to medium distances. The FlashDot allows in combination with the CC Mode (Close Combat Mode) the usage as a reflex sight for short distances. In this mode the riflescope has a true 1 time magnification and is parallax free to 7m. By increasing the magnification above the CC Mode the riflescope is parallax free to 100m. Since the FlashDot is located in the 2nd focal plane the size of the dot stays constant. Hereby three different illumination increments are eligible. At higher magnifications the Mildot reticle in the 1st focal plane can be used. Thus a opportunity for a direct measurement of target and object sizes is enabled. With a maximum magnification of 8 the 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC is also an ideal riflescope for identification purposes and operations up to medium distances. Hereby the illumination of the reticle can be regulated in 8 different increments, whereof three are optimized for the usage with a night vision.

With a weight of just 639g, a length of 293mm and a 30mm main tube diameter the 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC is compact 2 in 1 system. Thereby it has a field of view between 35.3m and 4.9m at 100m. The elevation and windage turrets are lockable to protect the zero position against unintentional adjustment. Additionally to the black version of the riflescope it is also in camouflage colours RAL8000 and PANTONE 7504 available.

Looks heavy and long, to me, and will it be more durable than the 1-4 SD's? All-in-all, it looks like it's already a has-been, to be honest. Too heavy, too long, doesn't have a track record I personally trust. It's going to get upstaged pretty badly next year by a couple of companies unless those specs and reticles seriously improve before it's actually released. Of course, knowing how long it took for the 1-8 SD to actually come out in any form, they may have a few years to iron it out before we see it, lol

Digital_Damage
08-29-16, 10:41
Looks heavy and long, to me, and will it be more durable than the 1-4 SD's? All-in-all, it looks like it's already a has-been, to be honest. Too heavy, too long, doesn't have a track record I personally trust. It's going to get upstaged pretty badly next year by a couple of companies unless those specs and reticles seriously improve before it's actually released. Of course, knowing how long it took for the 1-8 SD to actually come out in any form, they may have a few years to iron it out before we see it, lol

The weight and length is comparable to other 1-8 scopes in their class. Most of the weight is glass. 600-650 g is the norm , 11-12 is the norm for true 1-8x.

Not many companies in their competitive range. Minox, leupold (MK8), etc... only a handful of super high-end OEM glass manufactures out there.

Some solicitations are dropping 4x, so I doubt the high-end manufactures will be advancing the 1-4 range of optics. You will see more 1-6 and 1-8 in DFP or FFP instead of SFP.

If I had my pick it would be the Minox ZP and M10+ reticle (but with half mil marks, bighter dot ranges.)

WS6
08-29-16, 10:43
The weight and length is comparable to other 1-8 scopes in their class. Most of the weight is glass. 600-650 g is the norm , 11-12 is the norm for true 1-8x.

Not many companies in their competitive range. Minox, leupold (MK8), etc... only a handful of super high-end OEM glass manufactures out there.

Some solicitations are dropping 4x, so I doubt the high-end manufactures will be advancing the 1-4 range of optics. You will see more 1-6 and 1-8 in DFP or FFP instead of SFP.

If I had my pick it would be the Minox ZP and M10+ reticle (but with half mil marks, bighter dot ranges.)

Well, the one I can talk about is Swarovski's, they have a true 1-8. It weighs just a hair over 18oz, but IS 11.9" long, and the reticle kindof sucks. However, stay tuned for some better offerings from other companies.

Digital_Damage
08-29-16, 11:27
Well, the one I can talk about is Swarovski's, they have a true 1-8. It weighs just a hair over 18oz, but IS 11.9" long, and the reticle kindof sucks. However, stay tuned for some better offerings from other companies.

I assume you are referring to the Z8i, not the new one.

With the Z8i, once you add the turrets it hits close to 600g.

The Achilles heal of most manufactures is the inability to get the super high-end OEM glass at a reasonable price. Most of the super high-end scope manufactures started making glass before they ever made scopes and that shows in the end. They don't have to engage OEM manufactures and deal with complicated imports.

Most of your mid-tier "made in usa" scopes glass comes from the same two OEM manufactures in Japan. Some "lower"-end scopes have been creeping onto the same manufactures. So unless their is a lift in the import taxes for goods from some other places in the world the glass will remain the same. Those companies are more like integrators than manufactures, and if you are in integrator you need to win out on features.

WS6
08-29-16, 11:43
I assume you are referring to the Z8i, not the new one.

With the Z8i, once you add the turrets it hits close to 600g.

The Achilles heal of most manufactures is the inability to get the super high-end OEM glass at a reasonable price. Most of the super high-end scope manufactures started making glass before they ever made scopes and that shows in the end. They don't have to engage OEM manufactures and deal with complicated imports.

Most of your mid-tier "made in usa" scopes glass comes from the same two OEM manufactures in Japan. Some "lower"-end scopes have been creeping onto the same manufactures. So unless their is a lift in the import taxes for goods from some other places in the world the glass will remain the same. Those companies are more like integrators than manufactures, and if you are in integrator you need to win out on features.

Honestly, I am okay with "really good glass" as opposed to "amazing glass", if the durability, total package (size and weight), and reticles offered, are superb. For example, I love my NF 1-4's. I dumped AMAZING glass for them, and don't miss it. They are GOOD glass, sure, but nothing anyone with other high end glass is going to wax eloquent about. You know what they ARE, though? Light, compact, have very useful reticles (for MY purpose), and are hell for tough. I honestly think that AMAZING glass is about the last attribute I look for in an optic, now days, when pretty much any scope from any decent company is going to satisfy my eyes in that regard. I pay attention to things like diopter shift with magnification change (VCOG is the undisputed champion of causing me a headache, while my K16i was the very nicest to look through, and others I've had and played with fall somewhere on the continuum).

I guess what I'm saying is that sexy Schott glass just isn't that high up on my make/break list.

Digital_Damage
08-29-16, 13:12
Honestly, I am okay with "really good glass" as opposed to "amazing glass", if the durability, total package (size and weight), and reticles offered, are superb. For example, I love my NF 1-4's. I dumped AMAZING glass for them, and don't miss it. They are GOOD glass, sure, but nothing anyone with other high end glass is going to wax eloquent about. You know what they ARE, though? Light, compact, have very useful reticles (for MY purpose), and are hell for tough. I honestly think that AMAZING glass is about the last attribute I look for in an optic, now days, when pretty much any scope from any decent company is going to satisfy my eyes in that regard. I pay attention to things like diopter shift with magnification change (VCOG is the undisputed champion of causing me a headache, while my K16i was the very nicest to look through, and others I've had and played with fall somewhere on the continuum).

I guess what I'm saying is that sexy Schott glass just isn't that high up on my make/break list.

I get what you are saying, I would trade the glass in a minox 1-8 for NF level glass for a brighter dot and half mil.

Not that imperative on a 1-8 during the day, but the glass quality becomes very apparent on 5-25 at dusk.

I have no idea why NF keeps shooting themselves in the foot the last 4 years, the new ATACR 4-16x50 is a complete disaster and missed opportunity.

They seem to be getting Leopold-itus (same tired concepts), Leupold sat back and got over taken by not innovating. Then Leupold came out swinging and started making some very nice stuff. I keep hearing rumors of awesome new stuff from nightforce coming out then when I get the specs I'm like "what, why?"

JoshNC
08-29-16, 23:03

I really hope they start offering more than just a mil reticle. Time will tell.

MSparks909
12-01-16, 22:46
Bumping this thread back up. Purchased a Steiner 1-5 T5Xi last week during the BF sale. Ended up getting it for $1100 shipped from B&H photo. Paired it with an Aero Precision ultra lightweight SPR 30mm mount and stuck it on my KAC SR15. Taking the package to the range tomorrow to zero and do some 500 yard shooting. I'll keep a rolling update going as I get more time behind the scope. Might do a full review once I get several thousand rounds behind the scope.

I will say initial quality seems superb. Glass is very clear, no noticeable fish eye on 1x. Red dot is easily daytime visible and appears just like my Aimpoints. Reticle is simple, uncluttered. BDC calls for a 200 yard zero with 62gr. 855. BDC marks out to 600. Zoom lever is smooth but snug; cattail is appreciated. Adjustable focus ring with lock ring, 11 brightness settings with off positions between each setting. Auto shutoff after 3 hours. CR2045 battery. Included high quality flip caps. Lifetime warranty (transferable). I look forward to putting this scope through its paces.

kukworld
12-04-16, 01:09
Does the T5xi has true 1x? I got the P4xi, members claims the scope has true 1x..but to me, it's no way 1x scope...to me is about 1.5x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshNC
12-04-16, 07:59
Does the T5xi has true 1x? I got the P4xi, members claims the scope has true 1x..but to me, it's no way 1x scope...to me is about 1.5x

Have you adjusted the diopter?

Digital_Damage
12-04-16, 08:22

Nothing with two convex lenses is going to be true 1x, but that is splitting hairs.

Don't have access to the data anymore but most "1x" were .04 -.1. doubt what you are looking at is 1.5 unless you are not in the eye box (too far).

kukworld
12-04-16, 10:13
Have you adjusted the diopter?

Yes, only a little...it' pretty clear to me.

kukworld
12-04-16, 10:16
Nothing with two convex lenses is going to be true 1x, but that is splitting hairs.

Don't have access to the data anymore but most "1x" were .04 -.1. doubt what you are looking at is 1.5 unless you are not in the eye box (too far).

Yes, understood. Was hoping the picture will be flatter..may not e 1.5x..but it will be hard for me to open two eyes when shooting.

Singlestack Wonder
12-04-16, 10:23
Yes, understood. Was hoping the picture will be flatter..may not e 1.5x..but it will be hard for me to open two eyes when shooting.

Your eyes will adjust to the image over time and you won't notice it anymore. I used an ACOG TA44SR-10 (1.5x) for a while and got used to the 1.5x mag in one range session. See the dot on target and shoot.

nickdrak
12-04-16, 12:16

At what distances are you judging whether or not it has a true 1x or not?

Inside of 10 feet every variable power scope I have owned or tested (Swarovski, Vortex Razor HD, Steiner, Nightforce) has a slight magnification due to the curve of the lens. Beyond 10" it goes away.

nickdrak
12-04-16, 15:08
I recently bought a Steiner T5xi to replace my Vortex Razor HD 1-6x.

Loved the Vortex but wanted something comparable that was lighter weight.

So far I think I made a wise choice on the Steiner. Glass clarity is as good or better than the Razor HD. Glass on the Steiner seems a little brighter than the Razor.

Illumination on the Steiner also seems equal or better to the Vortex. Battery life on the Steiner also seems to be a bit better on the Steiner. It uses a bigger battery so that's not a surprise.

The rifle I mounted the Steiner in feels like a completely different gun now due to the weight difference.

The one are where the Razor HD murders the Steiner is with the quality of the adjustment knobs. Both the Windage/Elevation & the Illumination knobs on the Steiner are mushy compared to the Razor. I would say the Steiner knobs are on par with the Trijicon TR24 so definitely not junk, but the Razor's knobs are on a completely different level.

Field of view through each scope looks to be equal but I see less of the outer diameter of the scope's body with the Razor than I do with the Steiner. Not a huge difference really, just something to note.

I've owned my Vortex Razor HD 1-6x for over 3 years now and prior to that I ran a Trijicon TR24G 1-4x.

BG94591
12-04-16, 20:34
B&H had it for $1099.00 and you got a free pair of smith shooting glass and free shipping, so I bought it. Never bought glass that expensive, now I have to buy the fiancé those diamond studs she wants.

JoshNC
12-05-16, 16:47
Yes, only a little...it' pretty clear to me.

I find that adjusting the diopter changes the 1x magnification. Play with the diopter while looking at an object with both eyes open. Adjust the diopter until it appears to be 1x.

kukworld
12-05-16, 17:12
I find that adjusting the diopter changes the 1x magnification. Play with the diopter while looking at an object with both eyes open. Adjust the diopter until it appears to be 1x.

Will do, I'll definitely give it a try. This is my first lower scope, I probably need more time behind it. I have been using Mro...even members said it's about 1.1x , but I feel comfortable to shoot both eye open