PDA

View Full Version : Got my first rifle and tried it

platinumdude
06-21-08, 23:37
I got my Noveske 16" basic. I am right handed but left eye dominant. For the past few days before going to the range I have been practicing closing my left eye.

I was testing out the gun and some various ammo so I didn't adjust the sights yet, nor shot far. Unfortunately I had forgot my lens wipes with anti-fog and the corner of my goggles fog up over time and I couldn't see enough from the corner to shoot using the sites.

Anyways, is there a good technique to overcoming cross dominace? I figure I practice lots using my right eye, then try to adjust keeping both eyes open.

On the noveske fixed front site, is there a special tool to adjust it? I used a precision size screw driver to push down on the button, but do you need a special tool to turn the site needle to raise and lower it?

CLHC
06-22-08, 01:39
On the Noveske fixed front site, is there a special tool to adjust it?. . .but do you need a special tool to turn the site needle to raise and lower it?
Right here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=304696

Anyways, is there a good technique to overcoming cross dominace? I figure I practice lots using my right eye, then try to adjust keeping both eyes open.
Maybe practice shooting on your left more often with your Noveske? :)

Erick Gelhaus
06-22-08, 03:29
If you are left eye dominant, try shooting your AR left handed - as mentioned. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

jdurr
06-25-08, 21:12
If you're more comfortable shooting right handed, get a pair of cheap sunglasses or safety glasses and paint the left side of them with black paint or cover it with electrical tape. Go to the range and (with an unloaded rifle) practice coming up from low ready to engagement with your right eye. Do that a few hundred times and you'll be on your way to switching your dominant eye.

JDurr
Sic Semper Tyrannis

a308garand
06-26-08, 17:18
You can go around the issue by running a red dot sight (EOTech) and shooting with both eyes open.
With the iron sights, left eye=left shoulder, right eye=right shoulder ;)

skyugo
06-28-08, 20:13
i too am cursed with right handedness and left eye'dness.

like anything else, practice makes perfect.

lately i've just been working on shooting ambidexterous.
it makes for a neat parlor trick if nothing else. :D

platinumdude
07-02-08, 18:38
Without going to the range, I was practicing with my earmuffs and goggle on. I noticed that the way I am positioned, the goggles inner corners gets in the way. If I wear normal safety glasses or my other one piece goggle I am fine.

This is one I have:
http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=TACTICAL&SeriesCode=175&ProductLine=201,SG1V&ItemCode=70

I may change to something like this:

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=TACTICAL&SeriesCode=175&ProductLine=280,NERVE&ItemCode=R-8051

Or I can figure a stance that will work with my current goggles and big earmuffs.