PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Ammuniton Questions- Clarification and Chrono Data Request- 9MM

Jellybean
10-25-14, 12:16
I'm curious about some of the pistol ammo available right now, and how it stacks up to what is generally considered "good" standards.

For example, Fed. American Eagle (red box) and Fiocchi both state 1100/1150 out the barrel (115Gr), which is my understanding is GTG, and not underpowered for 9mm. A couple members here have stated that AE is up to par in FPS, and I've seen a fellow take the 124gr. 9mm AE out to a few hundred yards with reasonable results, so apparently they are GTG. Unfortunately, the AE Red seems to always command a premium $$...

>Is Magtech's pistol line of ammo (as linked on G&R here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?159316-Go-to-bulk-ammo-manufacturers) up to par as far as standard/NATO FPS go?
Anyone have chrono data on the 115/124 gr. Magtech blue box?
I know Grant says it's GTG, and I believe it, but where does it *really* stand?
Personally, I've had a few boxes of this back when I shot .40, and frankly it felt softer shooting than the much maligned "weak" PMC bronze...

>Is the Fiocchi 115/124 gr. *actually* up to the specs they state?

>What about chrono data on the Speer Lawman stuff? (blue box)
Considering the Speer GD JHP is often considered the "gold standard" of defensive ammo, is their bulk ammo is up to the same standard?
Data?
Is it worth the extra buck or two over other correct FPS ammo?

>Should I assume the ATK/Independence 9mm is on par with the Speer Lawman (or other correct FPS ammo) as it's rebranded IMI?
Or completely different? Chrono data?
Does the 9mm have the same high pressure issue as their 5.56?

>Exactly how weak is the PMC bronze line of handgun ammo? Does anyone have data for 115gr. or 124 gr. (or both) ammo?

>CCI Blazer Brass- better or worse than PMC? Or about the same? Data?

I had a box of truly weak ammo once- walmart Federal red box. After picking out .40 cal bullets that barely penetrated a half rotten stump, I banned it from my collection. Whereas the PMC bronze sailed right through, or penetrated deep enough to not be seen or picked out... So as you can see, this has cause a bit of head scratching over the years for me.

>Should a buyer even bother with any of the above ammo, if they can get Geco, since apparently the 124gr is "the shit" for 9mm?
And what makes them so great over the others? Data?

In my quest to work away from stocking "meh" ammo like PMC/FM, I often find myself questioning exactly where these ammo manufactures stand on a "best to worst" scale since they're all considered "good ammo", except where it seems an individual preference comes into play.:confused:
For example, PMC is considered good range ammo, but at the same time a weak load.

I'd love to get some actual data out so that everyone (myself included) can know exactly what standard they can expect from these widely used ammo manufacturers.
If there's some sort of grand pistol ammunition manufacturers chrono/accuracy data chart feel free to direct me to it...

This is not a "help me pick ammo" thread!
This is a "I want to know what I'm really getting for my money" thread.

Thanks in advance.

Uni-Vibe
10-25-14, 20:53
Next month or two, I'm planning on taking the Hi Power out and chronoing a bunch of factory loads.

Jellybean
10-28-14, 19:35
Sounds awesome.
Please let me know when you post the results.

Straight Shooter
10-28-14, 22:50
Jelly bean, I just made a post here that might help you some. BLAZER Brass or Aluminum in my opinion is AWESOME range ammo, and I wouldn't bitch a bit if I had to use it for SD/HD in a pinch.