PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking backup parts

codyusaf04
10-25-14, 19:27
I'm building up a stock of spare parts to put into a toolbox for when I need to replace or repair the parts for my rifles. I have 2 standard 16" ARs, a 7.5" pistol, a 16" DPMS .308 Recon, and a 24" DPMS Stainless BBL with complete upper w/ BCG, 8" .300 blk upper for AR pistol,

My confusion is between some of the working parts between rifles. Here is a list of what I will put in my toolbox:

JP Silent capture buffer-- variable spring weight kits .308/5.56
Safety selector detents
Safety selector detent springs
.223/5.56 carrier
.308/7.62 carrier
Firing pin retaining pins-- Are.308/5.56 the same?
Bolt--.308 & 5.56
Bolt cam pin
firing pins---.308 and 5.56 the same?
gas tube roll pins
gas tubes (carbine/rifle/pistol lengths)
extractor
extractor springs
extractor retaining pins

...and so-on...

My question is...how many of these different parts will be universally interchangeable between 5.56 and LR-308? I plan to have at least 3 or 4 of each and if some will fit both then I don't want to buy extra for another caliber if I don't have to. Any and all input on differences between these platforms would be greatly appreciated.

***Molon Labe***

g5m
10-26-14, 11:43
You might want to do a search--advanced search-- for spare parts. There are many threads about your question.

I would recommend that when you buy any parts that you buy quality parts.

Funtogun
11-23-14, 15:33
I usually set up a tackle box for each weapon system I own. I like the ones with the removable trays that have snap on closure lids and dividers. I can keep all of the extra parts, some ammo and a few magazines in each. That way, when I head to the range or whatever, I can grab the ones I need and go. I also second G5M...get good quality replacement parts. I like the JP spring kit also...I picked up a few tubes of them to keep the JP buffer alive.