PDA

View Full Version : Takedown and Pivot Pin Detent

LongRider
10-26-14, 04:43
While installing a MagPul ASAP SLING ADAPTER the Takedown Pin Detent Spring sprung across the room. Lucky found the spring (bent, replacing it) but not the Takedown Pin Detent. Question is I do not know positively if it came out with the spring or not. When I put the bent spring in temporarily back in the Takedown Pin stayed in was not sloppy or loose and required a bullet or whatever to get it moving enough to pull it.

Question is how do I confirm that the Takedown Pin Detent is either in or gone.

Thanks for any assist you can offer

Iraqgunz
10-26-14, 06:16
When you pull the pin out, you would see the spring. Not sure how the detent would fly out though, because it is in front of the spring, not behind it.

Ryno12
10-26-14, 06:18
Did you actually try looking to see if the detent is in there? You can see it from the side with the pin slid out. Also, the spring will stick out the back of the receiver over a quarter inch+ if the detent is still in there. If not, it'll slide in much further.

BBossman
10-26-14, 07:51
Did you actually try looking to see if the detent is in there? You can see it from the side with the pin slid out. Also, the spring will stick out the back of the receiver over a quarter inch+ if the detent is still in there. If not, it'll slide in much further.

This and with the pin out, look into the hole, if you see light, its gone. I've never lost a detent, but have temporarily misplaced the spring... :)

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

308sako
10-26-14, 09:13
Wow, if the takedown pin doesn't fall out... The detent is what holds it! With the takedown pin out of the lower, look through the hole where the detent is installed. See any light at the end of the tunnel? Can of air blaster cash launch it if you haven't been able to lose it by normal means.

LongRider
10-26-14, 14:51
308sako, that is why I was unsure as I did not do what was suggested above. Ryno12 the spring did stick out a bit. As I have not this before I was unsure how it should look but I was able to compress it enough to install the sling adapter.

Thanks gents. Will do and post the results of your assistance.

gashooter
10-26-14, 18:45
You should tap the hole for the spring and install a set screw after shortening the spring by 4 coils. You will never repeat this incident again!!

Tap used is 4-40 NC. Tap depth is 1/4". No drill needed. Set screw is 4-40 x 1/8" Available at real hardware stores. I got a bag of 100 for $6.00 at Fastenall store here local.

Takes 5 minutes to perform the Mod. All 7 Of my lowers are done this way.

LongRider
10-31-14, 01:07
Done deal soon as the springs and detents came in. Thank you all for the help and input. The detente pin was stuck in took a bent brad to get it out. It was sticky to the touch, maybe old cosmoline. A quick wipe down with Gunzilla took care of that. I used one of the new detent pins but kept the old one as a spare since it was undamaged

Gashooter, that is an interesting idea makes sense. Has anyone else done this?

Shao
10-31-14, 06:27
Gashooter, that is an interesting idea makes sense. Has anyone else done this?

There are lowers that come with this feature built in. Honestly though, it you're having trouble keeping everything in place while you're installing the end plate, try using a credit card or Norton's cleaning stick to hold the spring in place while you push everything down... and always buy lots of spare parts if you work on/build a lot of rifles. It's been awhile since I've launched a spring or detent, but it's always a possibility. I have so many redundant parts that all I need are a few barrels and barrel nuts and I could piece together a small arsenal.

Ryno12
10-31-14, 06:35
Has anyone else done this?

Aero Precision lowers come tapped.

I haven't installed any set screws in mine though. I don't swap REs enough to do it & just being mindful of the spring at disassembly keeps the spring at bay.

LongRider
11-09-14, 19:42
There are lowers that come with this feature built in. Honestly though, it you're having trouble keeping everything in place while you're installing the end plate, try using a credit card or Norton's cleaning stick to hold the spring in place while you push everything down... and always buy lots of spare parts if you work on/build a lot of rifles. It's been awhile since I've launched a spring or detent, but it's always a possibility. I have so many redundant parts that all I need are a few barrels and barrel nuts and I could piece together a small arsenal.
That makes sense too. I am not anywhere near most pf the forums level of expertise & knowledge. I ran into this doing a routine upgrade. I would love to be in your shoes.. in time. Hope to be building an AR10 variant soon. Before I start ordering parts I will have to look to see if there are any threads on lowers and see what the consensus is.

Am really pleased with all the response and help with my goof up. Not even one you are an idiot posts, so common on so many forums. Thanks