PDA

View Full Version : New BCM 14.5 Recce- need optics/ mounts

BB KoncepZ
10-26-14, 13:33
Finally got my rifle in and i have setup everything i wanted so far. Jus lack the back up sights, aimpoint/mount, and a light. Not sure if im gonna go T1 or wait for the T2 but i need some opinions on a solid mount setup for it and what would be my best route for back up sights

Wake27
10-26-14, 13:50
IMO, the T-1 is overkill for damn near everybody that owns it when the H-1 is around. The T-2 will be even more so, but if funds allow it, might as well get the latest and greatest. As far as mounts go, the DD fixed is a great option if you don't care about QD. If you do care, which there are some good reasons to, BOBRO is usually regarded as the best, followed by LaRue and ADM. All that being said, an actual RECCE rifle is usually setup with magnification, but that's all up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27
10-26-14, 13:52
Oh, for BUIS, I like either the Magpul MBUS gen 2 for easy and fast deployment, or the Pros for a minimal profile and some extra durability. For their prices and features, I see no reason to use any others.

ETA - if you want fixed BUIS, look to Daniel Defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TehLlama
10-26-14, 15:24
Wake nailed it - the H1 on a solid mount is plenty awesome, though the T2 is as future-proof as optics get right now (and it'll still be on it's first battery before they make something noticeably better). The MBUS-Gen2 are excellent sights for the cost, the PRO are a touch nicer (for my part I prefer the plastic ones since they're lighter, and extremely durable because the plastic can flex where other aluminium sights would bend/warp/crush and lose zero, but the PRO are steel and very well built.
G&R Tactical has packages on the aimpoints that are really effing difficult to beat as complete deals, I'd at least look there and then price shop to see.

The light is another question - I'm partial to the budget Scout lights (take a VTAC L4 or L4-Mini (same head/tailcap as the Scout, but with an E2/E1 body) and then find the right aftermarket light mount to run the thing. I tend to run them in 12:00 mounts (VLTOR makes solid and cheap ones), but for offset options (gear sector, IWC, 03DG, others) this combination is unbeatable for the cost. Otherwise, I'd look at the X300Ultra (can be a good long gun light, ambidextrous by design if ran at 12:00), Surefire Fury line, as well as Inforce WML in momentary-only flavor. There are other good options, but at least look there, check out reviews and comparisons to see what you're after.

Finally, do you have a sling lined up? (Again, my preference is the VCAS-Padded QD slings, formerly the 'G&R Special' version from BFG; I run mine off the buttstock and if need be off the RSA-QD mount of the rail doesn't have built-in QD cups). If you have all that sorted you're in excellent shape.

BB KoncepZ
10-26-14, 18:22
Was lookin into Troy for backup sights...
Goin with the Surefire scout m600(tailcap activated). And sling will be the one offered by Frank Proctor(way of the gun).
Im probably gonna go with the t1 but i may wait on the t2

Wake27
10-26-14, 21:39
Troys have great reputation but I prefer the Magpuls. They are easier to deploy and fold back down, but that does also make them a little more susceptible to being accidentally folded down.

Korgs130
10-27-14, 19:34
Was lookin into Troy for backup sights...
Goin with the Surefire scout m600(tailcap activated). And sling will be the one offered by Frank Proctor(way of the gun).
Im probably gonna go with the t1 but i may wait on the t2

Those all seem like solid choices. I just got a Proctor sling, it's simple and light. Great sling. Unless you're going to use NVGs, you should consider the value of the H-1 vs the T-1. Either way, I really like and have had good expenses with Larue mounts.

BB KoncepZ
10-27-14, 19:45
Need to decide on a 1/3 co witness or an absolute setup...

TehLlama
10-27-14, 22:58
Get lower 1/3. You'll almost always be able to find somebody willing to trade the opposite direction. I really thought I preferred absco, until I ran some odd positions - what really sealed the deal was getting just one magazine behind Jason Falla's setup - he runs his micro practically stratospherically on that setup (a riser under a DD lower 1/3 mount so that he can run the irons THROUGH the mount) - it was seriously fast, and still really usable shooting under barricades.

BrigandTwoFour
10-28-14, 23:51
Lower 1/3 vs absolute is largely going to come down to how you shoot the rifle. My XPS-2 is on a lower 1/3 mount from ADM, as it provides a nice "heads up" position. I did the same thing with my TR24 on another rifle, but found that the way I shot that rifle made the elevated optic position very uncomfortable on my neck when shot from a lot of positions (especially prone). If you will do more "dynamic" shooting and transition drills, I think the lower 1/3 is more helpful. If you want to do more positional marksmanship (the bulk of my shooting these days), then an absolute is more comfortable (for me, anyway).

If you aren't sure what you are really going to use it for, then I suggest you get a decent set of irons and shoot the piss out of the gun until you figure out your preferred use.