PDA

View Full Version : KMR good for SPR build?

STAMarine
10-26-14, 22:27
I'm planning a new SPR build. I was thinking of ways to cut down a little weight and thought a BCM KMR might work well. For those of you that own KMRs, would one be sturdy enough to handle a bipod and bipod loading?

Onyx Z
10-26-14, 22:37
Yep, the KMR's are pretty dang solid for being so light. I run a bipod on mine all the time.

Wake27
10-26-14, 23:02
The only issue I could maybe see is it throwing off the balance of he rifle if you run something like a PRS stock, but with the bipod and depending on your barrel length and profile, it could very easily balance out. I really don't think sturdiness will be an issue, go for it.

STAMarine
10-28-14, 13:34
Good to go. I've been a rail guy for some time but after installing a SMR I don't really see the utility of a full rail for my purposes. I don't have any experience with a KMR, but I think it may even be a step above for what I need. Thanks guys.

markm
10-28-14, 13:38
It's perfect for that application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDrfhYDFtN0

steyrman13
10-28-14, 13:44
With it being so much smaller ID, do you not have to worry about it contacting the gas block when loading the bipod or sling?

markm
10-28-14, 13:51
With it being so much smaller ID, do you not have to worry about it contacting the gas block when loading the bipod or sling?

There's plenty of clearance from the hand guard. I'm anal about that stuff. On one of the KMRs, I did have to trim one of the fasteners on the bottom pic rail that the Pod attaches to. It was too close to the bottom of Gas Block.

Long Range Trigger Monkey
10-28-14, 14:39
On my rifle that I have set up for DMR/precision rifle use I had to do the same thing for the smaller pic rail that comes with the KMR rails. On my KMR-13 the clearance between the screw head and bottom edge of the gas block was a little too close for comfort so I filed the bottom of the screw until I was happy, only a couple swipes really. Before people start having a freakout the only reason I opened up the clearance was for my own piece of mind, it was not really necessary since the rifle's zero and accuracy were the same before and after the modification.

markm
10-28-14, 14:47
Before people start having a freakout the only reason I opened up the clearance was for my own piece of mind.

Same here.

steyrman13
10-28-14, 14:54
I guess on a SPR or Medcon profile the barrel won't flex as much. Watching the slow motion videos of the DD light barrel from LAV, I'm not so sure that that barrel doesn't come into contact with the rail as much as it whips. I would image there would be marks on the inside of the rail for you two of it had been contacting in the first place

six8
10-28-14, 15:23
It's perfect for that application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDrfhYDFtN0

Impressive

markm
10-28-14, 15:37
Impressive

Thanks. That gun is a cream puff to shoot. (thanks to Pappabear for the use of the Nightforce)