PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Gen III Upper on a Gen II Lower: stupid?

Armadillo
10-26-14, 22:41
I love the Gen II Lowers.

I want a Gen III Upper but I am concerned it won't match.

Should I pair it with my Gen II Lower anyway?

Or, should I just get a Gen III Upper?

Wake27
10-26-14, 22:58
You'll probably get some flak for this question here, but you pay a premium for Noveske and part of that is because they are just beautiful guns so I completely understand. I also just bought a Gen III upper and usually want the latest and greatest version of something so I'm planning on getting a Gen III lower when funds allow. The recent thread comparing them made me question that for a bit, since everyone seems to prefer the Gen IIs. However, I had to ask why, and nobody in hat thread was able to give a good enough reason for me to try and source a Gen II, much less hope that it matches. Supposedly they're more durable. I don't know about you, but I've only personally seen/heard of one lower breaking and that was polymer. I'm not worried about the supposed durability issue unless someone can produce some hard stats, and even though I'd be skeptical. Plus some Gen IIs had compatibility issues with mags. In the off chance SHTF, I'd be more worried about not being able to run an incompatible mag that I got from a battlefield pickup than my lower cracking. Especially a Noveske receiver, since they make great stuff either way. I say get the Gen III.

ETA - misread your OP a little. Absolutely get a Gen III upper, it'd be even harder to find a good quality Gen II upper than lower (like I thought you were asking). Then try it on the lower you already have. If its not purdy, you at least have something functional while you save for a Gen III lower.

Armadillo
10-26-14, 23:11
Thank you for the response.

There are complications...

I DO have a few new Gen II lowers that can be built up.

I can not put the Upper on yet because I am planning on making a SBR and need a stamp and engraving before I can see how it fits.

The Gen II lowers I have were made after the mag compatibility issues were fixed so they are good to go.

Like many AR aficionados, I agonize over these decisions.

If it was just a tool I would not care.

My AR's are mechanical works of art because I am a collector AND a person who shoots often and takes classes.

I am planning on making something very special.

Toddler
10-27-14, 04:12
The gen 3 upper's lines will match your gen 2 lower but the color will not. The uppers are Cerakoted in Armor Black per Chris from Noveske. The only visual difference besides color between my gen 2 and 3 is around the mag release.