PDA

View Full Version : M16A4 Clone with ACOG(Which trigger)

M-FOURTEEN
10-27-14, 00:06
Finally got the funds in order for a new trigger for my Colt AR15A4 which I'm cloning after a M16A4.

It has the correct TA31-RCO-A4 ACOG and I'm wanting to see if I could get some guidance as to which trigger to drop in it. Either the Geiselle SSA or the SSA-E.

I've had the SAA on an iron sighted M4 clone, and loved it. That said, I'm wondering since the A4 has the 20" barrel and ACOG if the SSA-E would be the better choice.

I know I really can't go wrong with either, but I'd love to get some words of wisdom from the wise minds of M4C.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to some input.

JS

Zane1844
10-27-14, 00:44
I have had both, and I prefer the heavier pull on the SSA, for my type of shooting. I found that the SSA-E breaks too easily.

MistWolf
10-27-14, 03:17
For a general purpose, knock about AR, the SSA is a better choice than the SSA-E

Koshinn
10-27-14, 04:18
But if it's a clone, shouldn't you keep the standard trigger?

Failure2Stop
10-27-14, 06:42
If I had that setup as my general purpose rifle, I'd use the money to update a bunch of things before the trigger.
If it is just supposed to be a clone, I don't understand why you'd change the trigger in the first place. As it stands, minimally trained dudes have pulled off some pretty good work with the standard trigger and issued M855 under some pretty tough conditions with basically that exact setup.
All of that said, 20" guns are really easy to shoot, and if you just want a nicer than GI trigger, the SSA is the way I'd go between the two choices presented.
It matters not what the gun looks like, but rather what one wants to do with the gun when it comes to parts decisions.

BBossman
10-27-14, 07:30
Why not look at the ALG QMS trigger and put the savings into ammo? Nothing improves your shooting better than more shooting. The difference in price between a Geissele and the ALG is almost a half a case of ammo.

sinister
10-27-14, 21:46
... As it stands, minimally trained dudes have pulled off some pretty good work with the standard trigger and issued M855 under some pretty tough conditions with basically that exact setup.
All of that said, 20" guns are really easy to shoot, and if you just want a nicer than GI trigger, the SSA is the way I'd go between the two choices presented.

The standard M16A4 burst-fire trigger is, like the A2 burst trigger, a horrible piece of equipment for a general purpose rifle.

A standard civilian semiautomatic AR trigger is closer to an M16A1 trigger than one of those in a genuine GI A2-A4 rifle.

Failure2Stop
10-27-14, 22:00
The standard M16A4 burst-fire trigger is, like the A2 burst trigger, a horrible piece of equipment for a general purpose rifle.

A standard civilian semiautomatic AR trigger is closer to an M16A1 trigger than one of those in a genuine GI A2-A4 rifle.
Somebody needs to make a terrible, variable trigger so the rest of the AR community can appreciate how crappy the burst trigger is.

I put a burst trigger on one of our trigger scanners, the differences in engagement distances was interesting. Even the "deep notch" was irregular.

buckkiller35
10-27-14, 22:23
I put the SSA-E in my 20" BCM and I love it.

Eurodriver
10-28-14, 05:25
Somebody needs to make a terrible, variable trigger so the rest of the AR community can appreciate how crappy the burst trigger is.

I put a burst trigger on one of our trigger scanners, the differences in engagement distances was interesting. Even the "deep notch" was irregular.

For our PacDiv matches we would fire by switching to burst, depressing the trigger (on an empty chamber) and then racking the bolt twice while holding the trigger down. I don't remember the exact process, but it was a bitch. I guess the sear for burst was smoother than semi, I'm not sure of the exact reason but I know it really helped.

I still got smoked by the guys shooting free floated Stainless barrels, match ammo, and 2 stage triggers but it was fun being an underdog.

Distinguished Rick
10-28-14, 05:42
I have the SSA-E in my DD M4V5 and I love it. I've done a lot of match shooting in the past so the crisp break is very nice for me. As others have though the SSA might be a better choice for your kind of shooting.

TehLlama
10-28-14, 12:25
For nice to shoot on a reasonable budget, the G2S/SSA is going to be the most enjoyable. I've actually moved all the SSA-E's I have to rifles I don't shoot, even my 16" SS Recce now wears an SSA.

It sounds like you're after making good hits on stuff at 200-400m, and nice groups even closer then the SSA is plenty without the bolt-gun weight second stage of the -E (the SSA-E is still arguably the 'better' trigger for feel, but the SSA is just as good when I do my part and is a pull weight I'm happier with for general use, or if I have to run it with winter gloves).

Tzook
10-28-14, 12:28
I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just pick whichever you prefer

djegators
10-28-14, 13:33
I agree with the above on the SSA, and I also agree to look at the ALG triggers if you just want a standard trigger that will be an improvement over stock.

Renegade04
10-28-14, 15:43
Like a few other have said, if it is a M16A4 clone, leave the trigger alone. There is no need to replace what works well.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/DSC00604.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/jamesrea_08/DSC00604.jpg.html)

Redhat
10-31-14, 18:31

...a good trigger being a crutch as we've heard around here before...:D

ghostsup
10-31-14, 19:57
I have a BCM 16" as well as a Colt LE 6920. The BCM has a SSA and the Colt has the stock mil spec trigger that it came with. I love both of the rifles but the BCM is simply wonderful to shoot because of that SSA. I have a brand new SSA that will be going on the Colt this weekend. I love the umph of the Colt... just has more balls IMO, but the trigger has to go.

Pappabear
10-31-14, 19:58
I'm a huge fan of the SSA, and see no reason for the "e". If you are doing precision work and run it in two stages, the second stage is a 2.5 lb trigger. That's perfect.

PB