PDA

View Full Version : AR Barrel

skip
10-27-14, 01:22
Hello fellow forum members. I have a question about AR barrel's. I dont know much about them and I am a little confusied as to which I should get. I do want a 16'' barrel, M4 feed ramp, 5.56 nato caliber. shooting range is from 50 yards to a maximum of 200 yards. Yes it will be for plinking but also would like it to be my CQC, if that is the right term? I dont know what brand, chrome lined, stainless or twist rate I should get. Any help or info would be great!
Thank You,
skip

zandander
10-27-14, 01:33
What's your price range? Do you prefer heavy or light? Mid length or carbine length?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Wake27
10-27-14, 01:58
Chrome lined and the most common would be a 1 in 7 twist which serves well in damn near all situations for the weapon. The barrel is the biggest place you really don't want to cheap out, followed by BCG, and then probably trigger for accuracy (as far as gun parts go - not ammo). I prefer mid length gas but carbine gas systems work fine. You're not planning on building an upper are you? As far as brand, Colt will probably give the best value though I don't even know if you can buy those separate. BCM is my preferred unless you're looking to spend some considerable money, but DD works well too along with several other manufacturers. Hard to say without you giving a price point. Then you can get into profiles as well, like was mentioned above.

skip
10-27-14, 03:22
Sorry about that, I should have gave a max price is $250. I am sorry I do not know what the deferance is between a midlength or a carbine is? I do not know which would be better? If you can explain them to me, maybe I could decide?As far as how heavy the AR is? Well I guess if I have to carry it in a SHTF ordeal, I wouldnt want it to heavy?
Thank you for the help so far.
skip

MistWolf
10-27-14, 04:01
Sounds like you need to learn more about AR barrels before making a decision. Gas system lengths is basic knowledge. Not to fret, we all have to start someplace so my advice is to do more research. Do a search on barrels, barrel lengths and gas system lengths. The basic gas system lengths are
-Pistol
-Carbine
-Mid-length
-Intermediate
-Rifle

Here is an illustration borrowed from ar15barrels.com
http://www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/gas-block-seats.gif

While barrels are basic, it can be intimidating for the beginner to know where to get started- what barrel length? What gas system? What gas port size? What profile? What material type? The Easy Button is to tell you to get a 16 inch mid-length A2 or lightweight upper from BCM. You'll get a good barrel that will last you for many rounds but you won't know why it's a good choice. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way if all you want is a good barrel without dedicating the time needed to get educated. But if you want to learn more, do more research. There is some good information on this site just waiting for you to find it

Gentleart
10-27-14, 04:03
The link below would be my recommendation:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-mid-16%20std.htm

Now they do have a lightweight version if you want it lighter, but that's really going to come down to preference. As far as the Car V. Mid, there is tons of information out there on that, but at 16" in a standard set up both will work just fine for you. In my opinion, that BCM barrel will give you most bang for your buck. Are you building an AR and deciding on a barrel or are you curious in general of what type of barrel your AR should come with?

skip
10-27-14, 04:29
I am building my AR. I have everything done, I just need to choose a barrel, a rail, sling an sights. It is a DI, I got the billet upper with no forward assist, matching billet lower both from CMT Tactical, BCM military size tube with a Magpul STR buttstock an the newer KNS anti rotation pins. The other parts I can't remember off the top of my head. I am on kind've a budget. I find what I like, research it and then save money for each part. Thank you all for the info and I will look into it a little more.

Skip

Airhasz
10-27-14, 08:59
If you chose lightweight this is an excellent choice based on overwhelming feedback from members here:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-ENHANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-16-elw-std.htm

zandander
10-27-14, 09:46
Recently got a bcm 16" elw barrel. Nothing but good things so far. Balances the rifle out well and is making really good groups even with crappy ammo and crappy shooter!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

E_Johnson
10-27-14, 10:52
Skip,

A great place to start is the "barrels 101" thread in the sticky section of the AR Technical Discussion forum. After you read through that, take a look at the knowledge base threads sticky in the same section. Lots and lots of good information, it should take a few days to digest properly. Best of luck on your build.

Also while you're here, take a look at the "tools needed to build an AR thread" convenient timing.

turnburglar
10-27-14, 11:59
In my opinion the bcm 16" elw is one of the best barrels on the market, and fits your price range. I recently got a bcm elw kmr13 upper and couldn't be happier for the rifles intended purpose (civilian legal ar15). No need for extra profile as it's not select fire, and no 203 cuts.

Blak1508
10-27-14, 18:47
Have you assembled the lower yet? Personally I would do a lot of research before making your decision. While my personal recommendation is also the BCM ELW or one of their BFH barrels. You have a lot to consider, and also to research. The research is already out there and in this forum, just search for keywords/ phrases. There is no one answer or recommendation as we all have our own intended purposes. Go and research, compile a list of possibilities for your upper and from there, ask your questions and after your research I am sure your questions will be more specific and not so general.

skip
10-27-14, 20:23
Blak1508, yes sir my AR is complete. I just need to figure out the barrel, rail, sights an sling. I have decided on a 16" midlength with a 1:7 twist. Thank you all for the help and information. When I am finished I will post pictures an parts list.
Thank You,
skip

NWcityguy2
10-28-14, 01:40
Most of us are assuming you are going to build a flat top AR, and in this day and age this is a safe assumption. But so it is clear, are you looking for a barrel with or without a front sight base? Because in the off chance that you do want a FSB it would be much smarter financially to buy a barrel with one already installed. That would rule out a BCM barrel.

Now another place to look at for a mid-length is Green Mountain. http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m8-16-m4-for-mid-length-gas-system-5-56-nato/ For $150 you are getting 4150 with chrome lining.

skip
10-28-14, 02:51
No sir, no sight on the barrel. I was looking at the Magpul flip up sights that mount on the rail. Thank you for the info, I will look at there barrels.

elnino31
10-28-14, 14:16
You'll probably see this elsewhere, but get the gas block pinned. When you buy just a barrel it will not come pinned. You will need to send it out and have it done. Or just buy it from someplace like ADCO who can pin it, then ship it.

As formanufacturer. DD, BCM, or Colt would all be fine. Once it's on there, you'll never know the difference. That's no insult, just being honest. They'll all work