PDA

View Full Version : New to IDPA and have a holster question.

buckshot1220
10-27-14, 18:03
Looking to grab a holster for my G21 that I will be using in IDPA. I'm going to grab another RCS as I use them for my G19 and Shield, but since I likely won't be carrying the G21 all that often (if at all) I'm wondering if I should go with a straight drop vs. canted as I've read it may yield a faster draw? Any thoughts/experience ya'll could add?

Amp Mangum
10-27-14, 18:17
I prefer a straight drop holster, don't have to break my wrist during the draw.

_JD_
10-27-14, 18:45
It depends on where you wear it. If you wear it at a true 3 I clock a straight drop is good to go.

I prefer a slight can't but that's just me. If you wear it behind the point of the hip you want some cant.

lunchbox
10-27-14, 19:29
I'm faster with straight holster (on hip) and think most are. I have long gotten away from trying to beat time/people and worrying about score. When I first started doing gun games and saw someone had higher score, I set out to beat them (I'm kinda competitive), in friendly way of course. Now I compete only against myself.
I run my EDC pistol with its holster (4 O'clock canted IWB), and ammo that closely mimics my self defense loads recoil. I love gun games, but try and keep them as close to everyday setup as possible. The only thing that I can't get away with is mag position on belt, I prfer to carry them towards the front.

Magsz
10-27-14, 20:59
Its not really about the cant by itself, its more about the offset, ie how far away from the body it is. If the RCS holster were a quarter inch away from the body, it would be a great competition holster, but its not as it wasnt designed to be worn in that manner. The sweat shield also blows donkey nards for pure speed.

There is a reason why no top competitors in the sport are using "true carry gear".

Buy a standard belt slide holster that rides as far away from the body as possible while still adhering to the three quarter inch dowel rule.

You're playing a game, game it brother. :)

m1a_scoutguy
10-28-14, 00:40
Its not really about the cant by itself, its more about the offset, ie how far away from the body it is. If the RCS holster were a quarter inch away from the body, it would be a great competition holster, but its not as it wasnt designed to be worn in that manner. The sweat shield also blows donkey nards for pure speed.

There is a reason why no top competitors in the sport are using "true carry gear".

Buy a standard belt slide holster that rides as far away from the body as possible while still adhering to the three quarter inch dowel rule.

You're playing a game, game it brother. :)

Good point for sure ! I like the Sidearmor holsters myself ! I use them for my G17 and my Colt 1911 when I shoot IDPA and even USPSA. There are others,but these work great for me, are quality and a fair price I think.
http://sidearmor.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_40&products_id=83

Urban_Redneck
10-28-14, 08:25
It's likely 70% of IDPA shooters use Blade Tech or Comptac another 15% Safariland. A kydex pancake (RCS) will likely handicap you to a certain degree depending on your body type, and occasionally, the stage start position- a little offset goes a long way ;)

YMMV

10-28-14, 08:51
For concealment there are many options and opinions. For competition only I much prefer the straight drop although I compete with canted holsters as well.

ScottD
10-28-14, 09:15
When I first started shooting matches, I put way too much thought into what holster to use. It only took seeing the spread between my score and the top shooters' scores at my first match to realize that improving my draw speed by a fraction of a second was the last thing I needed to focus on.

Unless you're planning on getting to the point where fractions of a second matter, don't worry too much about the holster.

Magsz
10-28-14, 09:35
When I first started shooting matches, I put way too much thought into what holster to use. It only took seeing the spread between my score and the top shooters' scores at my first match to realize that improving my draw speed by a fraction of a second was the last thing I needed to focus on.

Unless you're planning on getting to the point where fractions of a second matter, don't worry too much about the holster.

The holster sets you up for the rest of the stage. It does matter, quite a bit. It is NOT going to put you on the leader board but it IS going to facilitate good shooting.

Urban_Redneck
10-28-14, 11:05
The holster sets you up for the rest of the stage. It does matter, quite a bit. It is NOT going to put you on the leader board but it IS going to facilitate good shooting.

Exactly.

I "compete" with my everyday IWB holster and "normal" cover garment several times a year (most often when I'm running late and forget to check the contents of my range bag), in a seven stage match, I'll have 1 or 2 bad draws attributable to the tight to the body concealment holster.

D.O.A.F.S.
10-28-14, 12:09
Looking to grab a holster for my G21 that I will be using in IDPA. I'm going to grab another RCS as I use them for my G19 and Shield, but since I likely won't be carrying the G21 all that often (if at all) I'm wondering if I should go with a straight drop vs. canted as I've read it may yield a faster draw? Any thoughts/experience ya'll could add?

What is your goal with IDPA? Is it to compete to win "the game", if so everything matters, use everything to your advantage to include the fastest holster the rules will allow. On the other side of it, I enjoy shooting IDPA, but for different reasons. I use all my ccw gear, RCS holster and mag carriers, and a m&p shield. IWB in the summer and OWB with a flannel shirt or coat in colder weather. I even shoot ESP because of the stippling on the shield. It all puts me at a huge disadvantage compared to most of the other shooters but I don't worry about it. My goal is to improve at a personal level from match to match and get as much time, and practice with my ccw gear. I know "its a game" and not training, but IMHO far better use of ammo then standing and shooting paper on a square range.

buckshot1220
10-28-14, 19:20
What is your goal with IDPA? Is it to compete to win "the game", if so everything matters, use everything to your advantage to include the fastest holster the rules will allow. On the other side of it, I enjoy shooting IDPA, but for different reasons. I use all my ccw gear, RCS holster and mag carriers, and a m&p shield. IWB in the summer and OWB with a flannel shirt or coat in colder weather. I even shoot ESP because of the stippling on the shield. It all puts me at a huge disadvantage compared to most of the other shooters but I don't worry about it. My goal is to improve at a personal level from match to match and get as much time, and practice with my ccw gear. I know "its a game" and not training, but IMHO far better use of ammo then standing and shooting paper on a square range.

Kind of like you, I'm doing this more to increase my skill set vs. win matches, though it never hurts to see your name move up the scoreboard.

I ended up ordering another RCS, forgetting that I can set the cant on my own using the different holes provided so I will mess with it as I go.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

RWH24
10-29-14, 23:03
Blade Tech or G-Code is my first 2 choices. Safariland ALS 6377/6378 holster

Spiffums
11-02-14, 17:46
I run Bladetech holsters with tekloc for game holsters. But I play the game as a game. If you don't intend to get every edge you can then an IWB works fine.

buckshot1220
11-02-14, 18:12
I did a match today with the new Raven and it worked perfectly. I used the pancake OWB wing on the rear at the top mounting hole and a standard OWB on the front one hole down from top which created a straight drop.