PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision Undervalued?

polydeuces
10-27-14, 19:41
Is this a company we're undervaluing? See what you guys think.

Has been discussed here and there already:
Aero Precision: Been around - mostly under the radar, known for stupid cheap / solid product.
Seems they do (contract) work for a bunch of other guys, now are going "wtf....we can do this ourselves only better...cheaper..."

Checked out their totally changed site - have to admit I'm impressed.
Wouldn't go out and buy complete rifles, but lower/ key-mod upper-rails/combo/.308.....well, yeah, probably.
Tweak it with your favorite LPK, tube and BCG and you have a solid shooter at a discount price.

Their enhanced upper in particular is something that made me pause, for sure. In a good way.
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=252
Somewhat of a resemblance of a VLTUR MUR there, forged and all, this would make one hell of a key-mod upper. And affordable at that.

Myself used 2 of their lowers so far - rock solid and tight with both Noveske and VLTOR uppers.
Thoughts? Anyone used above mentioned enhanced upper, rifle etc? Real world experience - across the board?

EDIT
most of the above is somewhat outdated - prices in particular - clearly they are positioning themselves in a different market segment than before; updated website, expanded product line, higher prices.
I'd say this thread has run it's course.
However.....their M5 receivers (308) are definitely still in the low price/high quality bracket.

MSparks909
10-27-14, 19:48
So, how long have you been working for them?

Kidding aside, I have 4 of their lowers. 2 are currently built and the other 2 are in my safe for a rainy day. All fit perfectly with my DD and BCM uppers. Will probably pick up 3-5 more just to have on hand, along with some lower parts kits. Need to set aside some lowers for my future children...haven't checked out their uppers or complete rifles, but would not rule them out.

n517rv
10-27-14, 19:49
I'm not sure if undervalued is the right term, but they keep taking my money... :)

Next project is an M5 308 build.

As you mentioned, their fit, finish, and quality is outstanding.

Watching their promotional video on YouTube I got the impression they can sell for less than others due to their volume. IIIR, their CNC machine was doing 16 uppers at once.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Voodoo_Man
10-27-14, 19:56
I am a fan.

Have three lowers and will be picking up an optic mount.

turnburglar
10-27-14, 19:57
The thing aero offers that peaks my interest: they seem to make an ambi lower for a fraction of the cost of kac or axts?

BufordTJustice
10-27-14, 20:28
I am a fan.

Have three lowers and will be picking up an optic mount.
Me too. They made the lower I just bought under another brand and I'm exceedingly pleased with it. 7075 T6 forged and very reasonably priced.

CaptainN8
10-27-14, 20:40
I want one of their .308 rifles. I have an AR lower from them I need to build. Solid and good finish.

thecolter
10-27-14, 20:51
I have two of their lowers and one of their uppers. All are top notch on quality, fit, and finish. The only thing that I could fault them on is the fact that the magwell 'flares' are not fully milled in the front of the magwell. This have never caused a problem, but it's one thing I've noticed compared to other lowers.

JoePike
10-27-14, 20:52
I picked up a 30mm spr mount from them for my PA 1-6. So far I'm very impressed with the quality of it.

Stumanbmx
10-27-14, 22:30
Picked up two lowers from them. One was so out of spec I couldn't even mount an upper on it. They took it back only after about 2 weeks of emails going back and forth before they believed me that the lower was the culprit. Well they gaged it and low and behold it was out of spec. They replaced it and I ate the shipping. The other lower I bought is loose on my BCM upper. Not a huge deal but certainly not a tight fit.

Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth and I bought MEGA next time.

TehLlama
10-27-14, 23:03
I have a trio of their lowers, which are all solid... and I'll probably wind up with an M5 set if none of a select few players enter the .308 market in the next six months.
I do wish I bought Mega lowers, just because I like the logo more; that's the closest thing to a complaint I have about the API lowers I have.

Swatdude1
10-27-14, 23:27
I just bought the enhanced upper and M-Lok 12-inch rail. Very impressed!!!! Reminds me of the Seekins upper except that it's forged. And I just tried it and my Seekins Keymod MCSR V2 rail fits perfect on the Aero Enhanced upper.

MrSunday
10-28-14, 00:24
I have built three of their 5.56 lowers as well as two stripped uppers and all fit well on my Colt and Noveske receivers. I have had no issues whatsoever.
Just took advantage of their recent free shipping with 20% off and picked up a matched M5 308 set in FDE. Fit and finish is very nice.

Schulze
10-28-14, 01:16
I just bought the enhanced upper and M-Lok 12-inch rail. Very impressed!!!! Reminds me of the Seekins upper except that it's forged. And I just tried it and my Seekins Keymod MCSR V2 rail fits perfect on the Aero Enhanced upper.

I have that one too and it is indeed a nice piece of machining. It has a large enough ID that my 1.5" diameter silencer fits under - perfect for a blackout build. But I haven't built it up yet. I got it because they were having a sale.

HackerF15E
10-28-14, 02:44
peaks my interest

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pique

jurassic
10-28-14, 07:05
The one I have now fits and functions just fine, but I went through 2 different ones trying to find one with that would work with my Timney Trigger. The pin hole spacing was at the large end of the tolerance range causing problems. I also wish they would finish machine the front of the magwell and the forging line at the back.

markm
10-28-14, 07:59
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pique

:sarcastic:

I have to admit, I'd have used "peak" too.

tostado22
10-28-14, 08:28
Just picked up a 10.5" barrel for my SBR. I just assembled it last night and haven't shot it yet, but it looks great! It wasn't dimpled for the GB from them but I did that myself so no big deal. I'm really impressed with it, if looks mean anything on a barrel

krichbaum
10-28-14, 09:20
I have used several of their stripped lowers and uppers on various builds. Never found anything that would make me think it was out of spec on their AR15 stuff, very happy overall with the fit and function. My only complaint is the magwells don't have a very good bevel around the opening.

JC0352
10-28-14, 09:25
I replaced my QRP mount with one of their 30mm cantilever mounts for my old Aimpoint M2; it's really light and solid.

Co-gnARR
10-28-14, 09:27
Picked up two lowers from them. One was so out of spec I couldn't even mount an upper on it. They took it back only after about 2 weeks of emails going back and forth before they believed me that the lower was the culprit. Well they gaged it and low and behold it was out of spec. They replaced it and I ate the shipping. The other lower I bought is loose on my BCM upper. Not a huge deal but certainly not a tight fit.

Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth and I bought MEGA next time.

Was this recently? I think I've seen similar complaints from a few years back but nothing dated from the past year or so. I'm wondering if this was a QC issue that's been resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TehLlama
10-28-14, 12:10
One of the libtard facilitated scarce spells, Aero stepped up capacity on lowers and got a lemon rate that was a bit higher on some pin locations, which was concurrent with a bunch of Econ101 failures getting angry that they had the gall to sell stripped lowers for $180 (but still went out of stock). I haven't seen many issues with stuff being in-spec in significant numbers outside of that window.

UrHero
10-28-14, 12:28
Don't own any yet but have a co-worker that just picked up one of their uppers. Nicely put together. The rail is a little wide for what I like but overall a nice upper. Planning to pick up a .300 once they come back in stock

djegators
10-28-14, 12:51
My experience has been pretty solid with AP, I mainly use them as a source of parts for retail. Packaging isn't great, but the parts seem to be clean, good fit and finish, etc.

GrahamKAC
10-28-14, 13:09
I've used several AP uppers and lowers, in fact I've got a blemished lower registered as an SBR. Couldn't tell the difference between the blem and new unit.

Never any quality or fitment issues thus far.

TAZ
10-28-14, 13:33
Bought 2 lowers from them to complete builds with my brother. Neither will drop gen2 PMAGS free. My WOA SPR upper won't fit into the lower. Take down pin needs to be hammered home and out. That upper fits every other lower I have. My BCM upper does fit the Aero lower though. May just be a tolerance stack up. Mostly due to the PMAG fit issue the Aero has been relegated to back up duties. Given that I only paid $60 for the lower I don't feel cheated and will probably give them a try, especially if I buy a matching set or receivers.

Junkie
10-28-14, 13:55
I have an M4E1 upper with 15" Keymod rail. The rail diameter is a little bigger than I'd like but the price was right and I like the setup.

kdcgrohl
10-28-14, 14:09
I picked up an upper, lower and a 10.5" FSB barrel to experiment with the pistol concept. So far everything has went surprisingly well for the lowest receiver expenditure I've ever tried. No complaints so far...

Stumanbmx
10-28-14, 18:04
Was this recently? I think I've seen similar complaints from a few years back but nothing dated from the past year or so. I'm wondering if this was a QC issue that's been resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It happened in August of this year, just two months ago. I purchased the lowers from Brownells. Maybe it was old stock? Or just bad luck... not sure.

BufordTJustice
10-28-14, 18:28
It happened in August of this year, just two months ago. I purchased the lowers from Brownells. Maybe it was old stock? Or just bad luck... not sure.
With Brownells, they often carry ridiculous stock levels. I found this with McFarland gas rings. They had an undersized batch that was selling for almost two years before they pulled it.

10mmSpringfield
10-28-14, 18:57
I bought a 5-pack of blem lowers for 40 bucks each a few months ago.

I have nothing bad to say about the two rifles I built from 2 of those lowers--3 are awaiting parts.

BTW, I've received NIB lowers that look like Aero "blems."

TunaFisherman
10-28-14, 20:42
What are your opinions on the M5 .308 lower?
I'm thinking about ordering the complete lower in Anodized black.

IZinterrogator
10-28-14, 22:56
I have built three rifles on their lowers, including one ambi lower. No complaints here.

tim808
10-29-14, 01:22
After reading about their gouging while not filling existing orders, I don't want to buy any more of their products....but damn their prices are good.

(I'm ok with the gouging but they should have honored their existing orders first. If I got that wrong, let me know and I'll delete this post and apologize)

markman
10-29-14, 10:11
I also built 2 of their lowers with no problems.

E_Johnson
10-29-14, 10:41
Regarding the original question, I don't think AP is undervalued by the market. As other have mentioned, their recent and planned product line expansions, updated website, etc. are evidence of a company that is growing. Is it undervalued by us, the end users? Perhaps... before they released their line of complete rifles, it would make sense that the only people familiar with the brand would be the subset of those in the AR market interested in assembling their own rifles.

TMS951
10-29-14, 15:16
I think they put out a great product.

I have two blem lowers (unable to identify the blem), two non forward assist uppers and a 30mm scope mount (super light weight) All great stuff.

I don't think they are undervalued, what I do think it shows is what is over valued on the market. Aero has shown us how much a an excellent receiver that is held to tight manufacturing tolerances should cost. If it costs more than what Aero charges you know one of two things, either you are paying for a roll mark or you are paying for someone to inefficiently run their business.

Aero has a loyal customer in me, if I build a 308 it will be on one of their receiver sets.

Voodoo_Man
10-29-14, 15:43
thread is worthless without pix

http://i.imgur.com/0KXDTbE.jpg

polydeuces
10-29-14, 16:49
What are your opinions on the M5 .308 lower?
I'm thinking about ordering the complete lower in Anodized black.

Yeah, was wondering that as well - From what I'm gathering the AR10 is going to be where there's a new playground.
We're pretty much saturated on all things AR15, so now we're getting bored and want to play with something new and most of all bigger.....which of course is better.
Speaking for myself of course.

Which is where they have some really good deals: how much fun it would be to build one of those and get it to make teeny groups, for the same cost as when building a 5.56 pretty much.

Chorizo
10-29-14, 20:58
They are horrible...so horrible I have 5 of them: A 450 Bushmaster, a SPR, a patrol rifle and a pair of carbines

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/chorizo_2007/image-16.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/chorizo_2007/media/image-16.jpg.html)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/chorizo_2007/image-2.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/chorizo_2007/media/image-2.jpg.html)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/chorizo_2007/chorizo/rifle.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/chorizo_2007/media/chorizo/rifle.jpg.html)

Fishbed77
10-29-14, 21:28
I have one of their 10.5" 1:7 twist QPQ (melonite) barrels and have been very impressed. It's accurate and the finish is TOUGH. It withstood my best efforts to bugger it up when driving in the FSB pins.

ibmikey
10-30-14, 02:36
Like other satisfied customers I bought a lower and two uppers (one grey Ceracoat) and cannot fault their fit and finish, besides they are made in Washington! I plan to build a SBR on they grey upper as soon as Uncle Sugar says ok.

BTL BRN
10-30-14, 15:00
I thought enough of them to use one of their lowers for my first SBR, I will soon have two additional AP SBR lowers.

I recently purchased one of their 308 lowers and LPK, and I am weighing through the various URG choices.

nj0ywatch1np0rn
10-30-14, 16:16
Purchased a stripped upper and lower kit. Looks to be good quality!

bigfeetz
10-31-14, 19:41
Aero Precision is good stuff. I have a a 10.5" barrel from them that is a straight shooter and a 30mm light weight scope mount that has proven to be a solid, nice looking platform.

Gooch_
11-26-14, 11:22
Ill throw my hat in....Im working on an M4e1 build. 14.5" middy barrel, everything looks awesome so far..... Did someone say theyre barrel wasnt dimpled for the gas block? Ill have to look at mine and see.....I bought a gas block from them as well.

jcalvert86
11-26-14, 15:09
Anyone had issues with their scope mounts?

Probably going to pick up a 30mm mount and was curious if I'd need to lap the rings. Don't care to spend $200 on a sfwa/bobro since the scope won't really be removed from the rifle and it's a range toy.

GH41
11-26-14, 16:21
Anyone had issues with their scope mounts?

Probably going to pick up a 30mm mount and was curious if I'd need to lap the rings. Don't care to spend $200 on a sfwa/bobro since the scope won't really be removed from the rifle and it's a range toy.

Generally it isn't necessary to lap a one piece mount. The bores are machined at the same time with the same tool and setup. I doubt you could lap their mount if you wanted to because of the unique way the the rings interlock at the top. I have been very pleased with the one I have. The fit and finish is exceptional and the weight (lack of) is almost unbelievable.

UrHero
11-26-14, 21:45
Recently received an 8.5" .300 blk bbl. Looks to be well made. Hoping to get it to the range soon. From what I've been reading I don't expect to be disappointed

Malig8r
11-27-14, 02:37
I recently ordered 3 M5 lowers and uppers using the daily deal. These were not matched sets as one days deal was the upper and the next was the lowers. I can tell you that all parts fit together as if they were matched sets. Very tight tolerances and no slop when I randomly piece them together. This was my first experience ordering from Aero and I am very pleased with their products thus far.

jpmuscle
11-27-14, 03:01
What's everyone's take on their BCGs? Specs look good and the price is even better?

Malig8r
11-27-14, 03:11
What's everyone's take on their BCGs? Specs look good and the price is even better?

Ordered one of their 308 BCG during yet another daily deal. Haven't received it yet. I expect it some time early next week. I can tell you that these daily deal emails are costing me a fair bit of change but the savings has not been insignificant.

Gooch_
11-27-14, 06:27

Just got my 5.56 NIB BCG in the mail....thing looks awesome, finish is top notch

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard

Sean W.
11-30-14, 02:32
I have one Aero lower and another Mega. Mega looks a lot better than the Aero. My Aero has tool marks and chips of aluminum missing right at the opening for the pivot pin detent. The magwell and the FCG doesn't look like it was cut centered either since there's more material on one side of the lower. Mega's lower only cost me $20 more.

Slvr Surfr
11-30-14, 03:37
I purchased an FDE cerakoted upper and lower from Brownells for my pistol build. Everything went together perfectly. The fit and finish on the upper and lower were excellent. I would not hesitate to purchase another. I really like the fact that they come from the factory pre-painted. It's one less step to deal with.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/helas_9/AR15/IMAG0218.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/helas_9/media/AR15/IMAG0218.jpg.html)

Swstock
11-30-14, 07:09
I own several if their products and agree that they are awesome.

hotrodder636
11-30-14, 12:05
Have two upper/lower standard receiver sets. Fit and finish is better than the 3 Colts I own. Very pleased with my sample of 2. This led me to get the daily deals on the .308 upper/lower. Once I get them in, I will update.

Gooch_
01-06-15, 13:56
Just finished up my Aero build. M4e1 upper 14.5" middy.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/06/d0f4a65bd5b794e1c0338ec3931859c4.jpg

This is a group with iron sights at 50yards while doing some adjustmenthttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/06/1857e7822241f5224bcbe431eaf38b4b.jpg

markm
01-06-15, 14:17
I'm so close to grabbing one of their 10.5s. I'd prefer a slightly smaller port, but everything else looks good.

docsherm
01-06-15, 14:59
I have several of their uppers, a BCG, a 16" mid barrel, and a lower. So far all great stuff. I used the barrel for a "truck gun" build and have been very impressed with it so far. I have dinged up the rail some but that QPC coating on the barrel is tough as nails and still looks good. It shoots well also.

smac61
01-06-15, 18:55
FWIW, AP is the only mfg I've ever had an out of spec product with. 2 of 5 uppers purchased a few years back had issues. 3 of 3 lowers from the same purchase were GTG. Just tossing it out there...

nickforney
01-06-15, 19:04
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8047.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8047.jpg.html).
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_7997.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_7997.jpg.html)
first is a 308 aero gun the other is my pistol I know it is a really small and unimportant thing but I like that they make 60 degree safety markings as I use the magpul/noveske 60 degree throw safeties on basically all my rifles. I haven't had a problem with anything I have gotten but the sample is pretty small.

snowdog650
01-09-15, 10:41
I own a couple lowers. They're fine. But I won't buy any more since the fiascos AP created during the "great AR panic" following Sandy Hook. I guess no one else remembers that.

GH41
01-09-15, 17:00
I own a couple lowers. They're fine. But I won't buy any more since the fiascos AP created during the "great AR panic" following Sandy Hook. I guess no one else remembers that.

Maybe you should have bought the company and gave the parts away after Sandy Hook. Did you by chance put gas in your truck when it was $4++ a gallon? How did you justify that?

Gooch_
01-10-15, 05:28
Maybe you should have bought the company and gave the parts away after Sandy Hook. Did you by chance put gas in your truck when it was $4++ a gallon? How did you justify that?

Hahaha I almost pressure washed my phone with sweet tea! Not mention how inexpensive they are now.

GreenGoblin227
01-10-15, 21:17
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/10/bd32034d21d3cacaae4e25dcc313948f.jpg

My aero m5 .308. Everything fit like a glove. Have 2 more ar lowers in the safe.

PGT
01-10-15, 21:45
fiascos?

markm
01-11-15, 08:24
fiascos?

I think they cranked up prices a bit. I remember reading about it at the time... I don't think is was anything like Cheaper than dirt's retardation.

themonk
01-11-15, 08:38
I have had good luck with their lowers but on the other hand I have had extremely bad luck with their blem uppers.

djegators
01-11-15, 08:38
I have had good luck with their lowers but on the other hand I have had extremely bad luck with there blem uppers.

What kind of issues?

themonk
01-11-15, 09:03
Threading was way over anodized. 3 barrel nuts had massive issues. I finally took an old LMT nut and forced it through the anodization, barrel nut is trashed. You can screw a nut on it now but by no means easily. I contacted them twice with no response, so I threw it in the parts bin. A total waste of money. I know they are blems, but don't put on your site that they function perfectly. I am not a hater as I have two lower that have been awesome.

I went and picked up a blem BCM that as usual was perfect.

djegators
01-11-15, 09:20
Interesting...never dealt with their blem stuff. How long ago was this?

themonk
01-11-15, 10:07
5 or 6 months ago

Sean W.
01-11-15, 10:14
I bought a non-blem lower and there was anodizing missing inside the receiver, I contacted them but they never responded back either.

krichbaum
01-11-15, 11:00
Their customer service is severely lacking. I just went through a fiasco getting a problem fixed, so I'm not surprised that people are getting no response when they attempt to contact them. I had a problem with a receiver and today I test fire the build that is using that receiver. This happens to be a 308 build and I have their barrel and BCG also...I'm praying that I don't have any more issues. After this experience, I probably won't be buying any more of their products simply because it's such a royal PITA to get it taken care of.

urbantactic
01-11-15, 13:34
I purchased a stripped receiver set during a time they were offering an unbranded limited edition for only $130.00. It is my primary rifle that I have begun shooting as I begin more training. Zero issues.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2922/14195985466_833e695945_b.jpg

ckimball09
01-11-15, 15:37
Have built two AR's with Aero lowers. My most recent build, a 8.5 300 Blk pistol with aero lower, cost 85$ for the lower and i think around 50$ for the LPK from them. So around 140$ after shipping for the lower (not including the SB15 i put on it.)

Nothing but praise from me on the lowers. I have not had any problems that needed CS to deal with so i cant say anything about that.

PGT
01-11-15, 17:55
I just finished my tungsten SPR today and started on my FDE. I'm really digging the threaded rear pin detent feature; makes it so much easier.

Gooch_
01-24-15, 06:21
Their customer service is severely lacking. I just went through a fiasco getting a problem fixed, so I'm not surprised that people are getting no response when they attempt to contact them. I had a problem with a receiver and today I test fire the build that is using that receiver. This happens to be a 308 build and I have their barrel and BCG also...I'm praying that I don't have any more issues. After this experience, I probably won't be buying any more of their products simply because it's such a royal PITA to get it taken care of.

I'd have to agree......I waited forever for parts that were backorderd. Getting in touch with them is impossible. Everything runs awesome but I couldn't get an email or phone response. Hopefully they get it together soon in that area because I like they're stuff.

UrHero
01-24-15, 08:28
I'd have to agree......I waited forever for parts that were backorderd. Getting in touch with them is impossible. Everything runs awesome but I couldn't get an email or phone response. Hopefully they get it together soon in that area because I like they're stuff.
I've had the opposite experience. I picked up a .300 barrel for an SBR I'm working on. I was on the road so I called rather than going on the website. I had someone pick up right away, and since I'd never ordered from them before he set up an account for me over the phone and shipped out the barrel same day.

Maybe I got lucky and just happened to get a good rep, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them, and I've been happy with their stuff.

Fuzzy-Reticle
01-24-15, 10:03
Aero is my new favorite go to lower. I now have 4 and since they are currently inexpensive and available I plan on stashing a few more in my safe. Why not. I find the finish to match perfectly with my BCM Uppers and they match up very tight to the uppers. Pin holes on all the ones I own are were they need to be and take parts easily but not sloppily. The roll marks are done well and are not bad looking IMHO. What is not to like?
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/BCM%20Midlength/IMG_0467_zps50849e9d.jpg

Malig8r
01-24-15, 10:26
Does anyone think that the delays might be related to the Christmas season followed by prep for and attendance at SHOT? Did Aero have a booth at SHOT this year. Didn't go so not sure.

I haven't had to call them since November and when I called them then I immediately got a CS rep.

Not saying that is the answer but it might be a possibility. Food for thought.

themonk
01-24-15, 10:28
No, mine was far before that.