PDA

View Full Version : Stock options for the .308

Federale
06-22-08, 16:11
I have seen that Magpul offers a PRS stock that is marked specifically for the AR-10. What's the difference between that stock and the PRS for the AR-15?

I have also seen that people have mounted Magpul UBRs on their .308s. Is any modification needed to do this, and what buffer/spring set up are you using for the .308? I have a UBR stock on an 18 inch barrelled upper and think that that UBR provides a nice balance to the rifle. Given that a .308 is heavier, I'm thinking that the UBR would be a nice fit.

As for switching between a fixed A2 stock and maybe changing to a collapsible stock, again, any modification to the buffer tubes, and what buffer/spring set-ups are you using?

Sorry for the questions, but I don't have a .308 at the moment to take a look at. ;)

Robb Jensen
06-22-08, 16:19
The AR10 and AR15 PRS stock differ in the length (front to back) of the rising cheek piece since the AR10s charging handle goes further rearward than the AR15. Other than that they are the same.

Federale
06-22-08, 16:26
The AR10 and AR15 PRS stock differ in the length (front to back) of the rising cheek piece since the AR10s charging handle goes further rearward than the AR15. Other than that they are the same.

Ah, I couldn't figure that one out! Makes sense though and certainly explains why the other stocks wouldn't be effected as the combs don't rise up and interfere with the charging handles.

armakraut
06-22-08, 20:13
I wonder if the sully stocks work at all on them.

Robb Jensen
06-22-08, 20:14
I wonder if the sully stocks work at all on them.

They will, you must just use the appropriate .308 length CAR buffer and spring.

HolyRoller
06-23-08, 22:03
Yeah, the longer charging handle stroke makes a regular M4 stock problematic, because unless the stock is fully extended, the CH will, toward the end of its stroke, hit the little flange around the front of the sliding part. You can pull up as you pull back to just barely clear the obstruction and get a full stroke, but under stress it would seem possible to short-stroke. I need to get a stock that doesn't have that possibility.

deltaARman
06-28-08, 20:34
The magpul stock works on the ar 10s but you have to modify the cheekpeice, I had to take off almost an inch and a half. Heres a pic of my mod.

http://photobucket.com/magpular15on10