PDA

View Full Version : Ambidextrous lowers?

cbx
10-29-14, 00:13
Are these worth while? Waste of money? Thoughts and experiences?

Displaced Texan
10-29-14, 08:29
My Colt 901 has an ambi lower. It's pretty cool, however after many years being trained on 'standard' lowers, I find that training takes over, and I don't really use the ambi features.

That's not to say that ambi controls aren't worth it, it's just in my case, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

GlockWRX
10-29-14, 09:42
If you are left handed, an ambi lower is a huge benefit. It's pretty much the only ergonomic way of doing a tactical reload. For a right handed person, it is not so beneficial unless the lower enables the user to lock the bolt back using the trigger finger.

Singlestack Wonder
10-29-14, 09:50
While ambi lowers are great for left handed persons, should the SHTF situation occur and the person needs to operate a rifle with a standard lower, the results can be problematic. In my opinion training with standard lowers regardless of dexterity provides commonality of muscle memory and reflexes, and allows one to pick up and run with any M4 platform they encounter. YMMV

Zane1844
10-29-14, 10:07
While ambi lowers are great for left handed persons, should the SHTF situation occur and the person needs to operate a rifle with a standard lower, the results can be problematic. In my opinion training with standard lowers regardless of dexterity provides commonality of muscle memory and reflexes, and allows one to pick up and run with any M4 platform they encounter. YMMV

That is true. I shoot left-handed, and use ambi safeties and charging handles.

I would not get an ambi lower unless it came on a carbine I was buying.

militarymoron
10-29-14, 10:27
i'm a leftie and ambi lowers are all i use anymore. i set up my rifles to work most efficiently for me as a lefty. i shoot standard lowers maybe 1% of the time when it's someone else's rifle and operate it how i always did before there were ambi lowers. for the remote chance that a SHTF situation will require me to use a weapon other than my own, i'm not going to assume it's going to be an AR. it could be a mini-14, HK, AK, 10-22 whatever. i'll adapt.

Digital_Damage
10-29-14, 10:36
A KAC Ambi lower is worth every penny.

The SHTF excuse is nonsense, you have no idea what rifles will be available. You could wind up with a rem 700.

VIP3R 237
10-29-14, 10:39
i'm a leftie and ambi lowers are all i use anymore. i set up my rifles to work most efficiently for me as a lefty. i shoot standard lowers maybe 1% of the time when it's someone else's rifle and operate it how i always did before there were ambi lowers. for the remote chance that a SHTF situation will require me to use a weapon other than my own, i'm not going to assume it's going to be an AR. it could be a mini-14, HK, AK, 10-22 whatever. i'll adapt.

Exactly. The battlefield pickup excuse doesn't weigh to me as much as being able to manipulate my rifles in a more efficient manner means more.

For the price the Aero ambi gen2 is tough to beat, as well as the San Tan ones.

PatrioticDisorder
10-29-14, 11:01
A TRUE fully ambi lower (RIGHT SIDE BOLT CATCH) is a big plus for right handed shooters, bolt release doesn't add too much value for me, I as most right handed shooters will tell you they still hit the bolt release on the left side when changing mags. The whole SHTF/Appocalypse picking up a weapon scenario is an overvalued idea.

I sorta wish KAC would develop a new gen lower with a right side bolt catch as that roll mark would compel me to buy multiples... For now I run AX556 lowers and, IMO it is the BEST ambi lower on the market for a righty. The integrated bolt catch into the mag release is ingenious and increases effeciency during remedial action, even when compared to another true fully ambi lower like the LWRC IC lowers.

MorphCross
10-29-14, 11:21
Learning transitions on lowers designed for ambidextrous use becomes smoother as the controls are essentially mirrored in their location. There is more to shooting than the argument about being left handed/ right handed.

Mariley85
10-29-14, 12:49
I don't have any ambi lowers (being a Kalifornia resident is the "why"), but I always install ambi selectors because I've found it's easier to manipulate the selector with my thumb (safe to fire) and my index/trigger finger (fire to safe). That said, the new ADM lowers look pretty slick, and I'd definitely buy an ambi lower for the luxury of having the option to use the features if this state wasn't so ass-backwards.

cbx
10-29-14, 18:46
What about the aero or teal blue pdq setup?

Is the port cover an issue since it rests on the pdq latch?

VIP3R 237
10-29-14, 18:48
What about the aero or teal blue pdq setup?

Is the port cover an issue since it rests on the pdq latch?

I've never had* an issue with the aero pdq on my ambi lower.

cbx
10-29-14, 18:48
A TRUE fully ambi lower (RIGHT SIDE BOLT CATCH) is a big plus for right handed shooters, bolt release doesn't add too much value for me, I as most right handed shooters will tell you they still hit the bolt release on the left side when changing mags. The whole SHTF/Appocalypse picking up a weapon scenario is an overvalued idea.

I sorta wish KAC would develop a new gen lower with a right side bolt catch as that roll mark would compel me to buy multiples... For now I run AX556 lowers and, IMO it is the BEST ambi lower on the market for a righty. The integrated bolt catch into the mag release is ingenious and increases effeciency during remedial action, even when compared to another true fully ambi lower like the LWRC IC lowers.

Can't seem to find much on these other than the release stuff. Is buying direct the only way to get an ax556?

cbx
10-29-14, 18:50
I don't have any ambi lowers (being a Kalifornia resident is the "why"), but I always install ambi selectors because I've found it's easier to manipulate the selector with my thumb (safe to fire) and my index/trigger finger (fire to safe). That said, the new ADM lowers look pretty slick, and I'd definitely buy an ambi lower for the luxury of having the option to use the features if this state wasn't so ass-backwards.

The UIC setup looks nice, I can't find much on these either. Doesn't seem like they are even available yet.

cbx
10-29-14, 18:51
I've never have an issue with the aero pdq on my ambi lower.

Would you buy it again after having one?

VIP3R 237
10-29-14, 18:53
Would you buy it again after having one?

Absolutely, unless something else comes out I'll base new builds on the aero gen 2 ambi lower.

GotAmmo
10-29-14, 19:57
I'm a lefty shooter. Learned in the Army how to suck it up and adapt. So the only things I add to my current lowers are an ambi safety selector and ambi charging handle.

My MWS308 is ambi and I hardly use the ambi mag release on it. I would not invest additional money for a non-issue

jesuvuah
10-29-14, 20:43
I am right handed. I have tried various ambi controls, but I find that unless you are going to switch all of your guns over, you are asking for a headache. I also found that they only ambi feature that I really need to use on a regular basis is a safety, so I have started switch my rifles over to that. Now if I was a lefty, that might be different, but quite honestly I do not struggle running the standard controls shooting from my left shoulder either.

TehLlama
10-29-14, 20:55
Depends which part:
Ambi Selectors are great. I'm right-handed, and still like the BAD-ASS setup on stuff... I wouldn't hesitate to have these on every lower.
Ambi Magazine release - the Norgon is my favorite, but it still can get caught up on gear and drop magazines; even the others are just OK. I've found that I can just as easily use the right hand thumb to pull magazines if I'm driving the gun from that side, so I'd argue these only have utility for true lefties. The KAC flavors of this options are a touch nicer about getting caught on stuff, but those are pricy and incomplete on the next part...
Ambi Bolt Catch - these are the really variable ones, the KAC just drops the bolt but won't hold it open, and the AX556 is a pretty attractive option. Since I keep stubbornly running BAD levers, it doesn't actually change much for me, so I run the Noveske Flared lowers, throw ambi selectors on it, and I'm utterly happy with this setup for everything I need, so much so that I run these instead of my pair of KAC SR15 lowers.

Blak1508
10-29-14, 22:03
I have been running a San Tan tactical ambi lower with matching upper you may want to check them out, so far I am highly impressed, ambi mag and bolt catch come installed, same with pivot pins. The controls are solid. Lower also has 2 anti rotation QD mounts on the heel of lower. This setup has proven very accurate, Denis the owner is also one of the nicest individuals I've dealt with. The price point on these is not too bad either. I usually do not stray from the usual suspects when I invest money into a weapon,(BCM, DD ETC), I am glad I did with them and they came highly recommended by industry Gents that I trust. Just a solid option if your in the market for a ambi set.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q629/blak1508/DSC01353_zpseb7219db.jpg
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q629/blak1508/DSC01233_zps83bdb23f.jpg