PDA

View Full Version : *caution* A positive report concerning a Police Officer *caution*

J-Dub
10-29-14, 07:45
http://www.officer.com/news/11749136/chp-officer-finds-120k-returns-it-to-family

In a statement, the sergeant said, "It was the right thing to do. I am paid to uphold the law and it's my job to set the example, whether I'm working or not. I am happy to hear the rightful owner was identified and that the money has been returned."

I'm sure just an outlier in the bell curve (sarcasm), but there ARE some decent folks in LE.

JBecker 72
10-29-14, 07:57
Yeah I would have turned in that $60k too.

SteyrAUG
10-29-14, 18:33
What I want to know is how exactly do you LOSE $120k, especially if it is your "life savings." I can't imagine a single scenario where I'd actually have my "life savings" in cash in bank deposit bags, not can I imagine a scenario where if I actually had everything "in cash" it wouldn't be duct taped to my body under the slung rifle on my chest.

How exactly do you drop your "life savings" of $120k in the street and lose track of it? If it was truly my "life savings" and I somehow "dropped it" in the street I would immediately pull over and brave traffic to get it back. Who the hell doesn't realize they dropped $120k and who doesn't immediately go back for it?

I don't want to say that such a person has demonstrated a level of irresponsibility that deserves them to lose their money, but I'm having a hard time imagining a plausible scenario that doesn't require gross irresponsibility.

At any rate, regardless of the possible incompetence of the owner, glad to see an honest person found the money and acted according to their values. I can only hope karma treats them well in return and that in their law enforcement career they manage to save up their own six figure savings by retirement.

I consider myself an honest person, but if I found two bank bags with $120k and I didn't see somebody walking around looking for something they obviously lost, I might just have a nice little cash cushion.

Moose-Knuckle
10-29-14, 20:22
What I want to know is how exactly do you LOSE $120k, especially if it is your "life savings." I can't imagine a single scenario where I'd actually have my "life savings" in cash in bank deposit bags, not can I imagine a scenario where if I actually had everything "in cash" it wouldn't be duct taped to my body under the slung rifle on my chest.

How exactly do you drop your "life savings" of $120k in the street and lose track of it? If it was truly my "life savings" and I somehow "dropped it" in the street I would immediately pull over and brave traffic to get it back. Who the hell doesn't realize they dropped $120k and who doesn't immediately go back for it?

I don't want to say that such a person has demonstrated a level of irresponsibility that deserves them to lose their money, but I'm having a hard time imagining a plausible scenario that doesn't require gross irresponsibility.

At any rate, regardless of the possible incompetence of the owner, glad to see an honest person found the money and acted according to their values. I can only hope karma treats them well in return and that in their law enforcement career they manage to save up their own six figure savings by retirement.

I consider myself an honest person, but if I found two bank bags with $120k and I didn't see somebody walking around looking for something they obviously lost, I might just have a nice little cash cushion.

"A fool and his money . . ." and all that.

Whiskey_Bravo
10-30-14, 08:29

This x100. I can't for the life of me understand how you drop these items? Leave them on the roof of your car with your coffee as you are unlocking your door or something? Seriously wtf? And if you have 120k in cash at your house for some reason, call the effing bank and they will send an armored truck to pick that shit up.

montanadave
10-30-14, 08:54
This x100. I can't for the life of me understand how you drop these items? Leave them on the roof of your car with your coffee as you are unlocking your door or something? Seriously wtf? And if you have 120k in cash at your house for some reason, call the effing bank and they will send an armored truck to pick that shit up.

Only a couple of explanations come to mind. Cash from some sort of illegal enterprise, business income someone is hiding from the IRS, or an immigrant family or gloom-and-doomer who doesn't trust banks/think banks are going to fail. Regardless, the person who claimed the money should probably expect to receive a few inquiries from a couple of alphabet-soup agencies about the source of the cash.