PDA

View Full Version : Colt M4A1 for a Sig 556xi?

virus22x
10-29-14, 09:11
I know im new here but quick opinion question for you guys.
Ive had a colt m4a1 (not a 6920/6940) for sale forever. Got a few offers but not anything substantial. Reason for selling is it just sit in the safe because i don't want to make a ding or scratch on it because its a really nice gun with a collectable roll mark. I have 2 other ar's so i haven't touched this one in months.
My most recent plan was to sell and use the money to make a trust and build an sbr ar or make a trust and get a suppressor.

Yesterday I had a guy offer me a sig 556xi for a straight trade. Now this gun will probably meet the same fate, taken to the range once then kept in the safe to sell in favor of the sbr ar project.

Im thinking about doing it because it might be an easier sale or easier to trade for something + cash. Reason why i don't want to? ehh its going to cost about $100 for shipping and a ffl fee.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks

turnburglar
10-29-14, 10:04
By colt m4a1: you mean full auto with a thicker profile barrel?

virus22x
10-29-14, 10:07
no, it has a thicker barrel but with the m4a1 rollmark.
like this one here
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=449117234

user
10-29-14, 10:41
Keep the Colt and enjoy it. Pass on the sig.

Onyx Z
10-29-14, 11:01
Keep the Colt. M4A1 rollmarks are collector's items IMO.

VIP3R 237
10-29-14, 11:24
The sig is awkward and clumsy, and its no where near the quality of its Swiss brethren.

Keep the Colt.

kest_01
10-29-14, 11:39
Same as above, definitely keep the Colt.

3ACR_Scout
10-29-14, 12:43
Ive had a colt m4a1 (not a 6920/6940) for sale forever.
I might be missing something here, but that is a 6920 - it's just the SOCOM model, which has the heavy barrel and M4A1 rollmark. The standard 6920 has the M4 rollmark, but both are 6920s. Anyway, I do think it's an interesting and more rare 6920 model and would agree with those who've said you should keep it. My issue rifle in my previous assignment was a real M4A1, and I've considered picking up a SOCOM 6920 to replicate that rifle, but they're definitely harder to find. I wanted a complete Colt lower to start off with (to add a pinned 14.5" upper), and the SOCOM lower, if you can even find one on GB, goes for a premium price. I think it's worth keeping just for that reason alone.

Dave

Flankenstein
10-29-14, 12:57
I might be missing something here, but that is a 6920 - it's just the SOCOM model, which has the heavy barrel and M4A1 rollmark. The standard 6920 has the M4 rollmark, but both are 6920s.

Yep.

I wouldn't consider it a collectors item though, I see them often at various shops. I'd keep it bc it's a nice rifle but not for any collectors reason.

10mmSpringfield
10-29-14, 13:09
I have never been a fan of the Sig 556 family of rifles.

Parts aren't always interchangeable and they don't offer any advantage over the DI and piston AR's out there.

Eurodriver
10-29-14, 13:26
How long is "forever" and how much are you asking? Colts can be had brand new for $800. Maybe you can make the trade, sell the Sig immediately to some unsuspecting teenager who just graduated high school and wants the badass video game gun and make some coin.

Renegade04
10-29-14, 15:01
Since the Colt LE 6920 SOCOM (M4A1 Carbine) is not really a collectible and you rarely shoot it, why not trade up in value and to a really versatile weapon like the SIG 556xi. This platform provides an assortment of configurations you can accomplish by simply exchanging a few parts. Barrels, bolts, handguards, and stocks are all easily changed. Even the lower can be changed out to accomodate AK mags for the 7.62x39 configuration. This can be done because the upper is what is serialized, not the lower. If I had an AR I was not really wanting to hang onto, I would trade.

7.62NATO
10-29-14, 15:05

Flankenstein
10-29-14, 15:15
To many, the Colt M4A1 SOCOM I and II are indeed collectible, and battle-proven, rifles.

Yea no kidding. I'm not one of them. That's what I am saying.

JBecker 72
10-29-14, 15:19
How is a rifle collectible when you can easily find them for a grand(ish)?

Anyone else see this deal advertized on here? $1600 for a SOCOM M4, KAC RAS, Matech sight, and an Aimpoint T1 in a DD mount.

http://clydearmory.com/colt-lesocom-aimpoint-t1-package.html

Eurodriver
10-29-14, 15:34
How is a rifle collectible when you can easily find them for a grand?

No clue. Lots of guys save the damn boxes (who does that??) they come in and then when they try to resell them think they've got hot shit because they have a "blue label" or a "red label" or a "vomit pink with Ebola color" label.

Maybe the OP could find one of those guys and sell his elite tactical collectible M4Carbine Bullet model awesome blossom for a good premium?

I'd never trade a 6920 for a Sig though. Ever. I'm also invested in the AR platform and biased...so...

ETA: That's a nice ass deal. I'd probably grab it if it weren't a SOCOM. What is the point of having the heavier barrel profile in a semi auto??

JBecker 72
10-29-14, 15:40
Yeah I'd order one if I had the money right now. Probably going to be some great black friday promotions coming up as well.

Regarding SOCOM M4 vs M4, I have both, and the weight difference seems minimal. And my SOCOM is slightly more accurate. But yeah it's an unnecessary feature for semi auto shooters.