PDA

View Full Version : Winchester M100 Recall Question

wdodge1
10-30-14, 20:20
Hello

I bought a few months ago a 1971 Winchester M100. I have done some digging, and see there is a recall on them, for the firing pin, from back in 1990. Being that I bought it used, I'd like to see if it's possible to tell if it has had the recall done, without having to open it up.

I found a number that was supposed to be the recall hotline (1800-852-5734) but it rings twice and then hangs up. I can give my serial number if someone knows how to check it, or I can call if I can get a correct phone number. I haven't tried during regular business hours though, might try that tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated

sinister
10-30-14, 20:47
Call during business hours. They go through the serial numbers in the computer.

You still have to eyeball verify that it has the new firing pin. Olin also sends a check for $20 for a gunsmith to fit it.

wdodge1
10-30-14, 20:49
That's what I thought. Would be nice to have a please call back message instead of just hanging up.

How hard is it to check and change if necessary?

sinister
10-30-14, 20:53
If you're mechanically inclined it's as easy as disassembling an M16.

wdodge1
10-30-14, 21:48
I am mechanically inclined, but never tore open any guns

williejc
10-31-14, 12:17
Check the Winchester's repair center's website, which is the same as Browning's, and you'll see a list of obsolete firearms that they no longer service. Their toll free number will be active. You will be directed to a list of private gunsmiths who may work on these models. I suggest Midwest Gun Works.

There are gunsmiths today who have never seen(or heard of)a Win 100 and some of these may work for Winchester. I was surprised to learn that "they" don't repair Model 94's anymore.

wdodge1
10-31-14, 18:10
I called the number a few times throughout the day, to only get a busy signal.

William's gunsight is listed as a repair shop, and that's where I bought the gun. I should just call them and ask, and maybe even bring it in for them.