PDA

View Full Version : Is there an attachment that works as a suppressor as well as a recoil compensator

Wannabe Crackshot
10-31-14, 05:22
Basically just as the title says. I know some suppressors on certain firearms can do it to some extent, but are there some that work equally as both? Just a question.

MegademiC
10-31-14, 18:08
By definition, they are mutually exclusive. Silencers eliminate high pressure. Comps use high pressure.

AndrewWiggin
11-01-14, 01:44
My Surefire FA556AR substantially reduces recoil. From what I've heard, most cans do.

Wannabe Crackshot
11-01-14, 02:04
Ok, cool thanks

Koshinn
11-01-14, 02:27
So what a brake does is redirect exhaust gas sideways or sometimes even at an angle towards the shooter as kind of counter-thrust. Suppressors trap that gas and reduce the velocity it eventually exits the system, which will also reduce recoil impulse, but less effectively than a brake. But add the weight of the suppressor itself and that will help with felt recoil too.

foxtrotx1
11-06-14, 22:51
Look at it this way, recoil forces push back agaisn't the rifle, but the ejecta (gases and unburnt powder) then push on the suppressor baffles, which attempts to pulls the rifle back forward creating an opposing force to the recoil energy.

Quiet Riot
11-08-14, 06:32
Brakes redirect gasses to counter recoil, whereas silencers slow gasses down and convert their velocity and noise into heat. I haven't seen any silencer reduce recoil to zero, though there are definitely brakes that are capable of doing that. The tradeoff with a brake is that the redirected gasses can blast those at your sides or even rattle you as the shooter with larger calibers. It also redirects sound towards the shooter.

I show how effective a silencer can be at taming recoil in my review of the Liberty Victory titanium 308 silencer. I compare using split screen what happens when I pull the trigger with and without the Victory attached to my 700 PSS. As you will see, a silencer can be very effective at taming recoil, but best of all, it almost eliminates muzzle blast, whereas a brake typically makes it worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhIQgWFQlhM

Failure2Stop
11-08-14, 12:04
So what a brake does is redirect exhaust gas sideways or sometimes even at an angle towards the shooter as kind of counter-thrust. Suppressors trap that gas and reduce the velocity it eventually exits the system, which will also reduce recoil impulse, but less effectively than a brake. But add the weight of the suppressor itself and that will help with felt recoil too.
This.

Krusty783
11-09-14, 08:00
This.

----I meant to multi-quote but I can't quite figure out how to do that:confused:------

Looking at it from an engineering/fluid dynamics POV:
The baffles in suppressors act just like the baffles on muzzle brakes. Compared to a "pure" muzzle brake, the suppressor baffles are acting on the muzzle gas after it's expanded a bit and there are more of them. This would result in the suppressor reducing/counter-acting a portion of the recoil energy (less than a "pure" MB because the gas is at a progressively lower energy at each baffle) and smoothing out the perceived impulse to more of a push.

[Essentially, a suppressor is just an enlarged & enclosed MB.]

Think of it like the exhaust of a race/drag car where you can almost hear/see each cylinder firing vs the sound of a car with a muffler/glass pack.