PDA

View Full Version : s&w or bushmaster

outdoorsmen
06-22-08, 20:03
i just ordered a bushmaster but i may sell it instead. i don't know if i'd be happy with it. would a smith be a better choice? or should i just keep my bushy? i'd be using it just for fun casual shooting.

Ridgerunner665
06-22-08, 20:06
The Bushy would work fine for a casual plinker, but it may need to be looked over to make sure all parts are properly staked and such...

That said...the S&W is a better built gun.

Buck
06-22-08, 20:12
It is not on your list, but in that price range I would really recomend you look at a Charles Daly LE carbine...

LINK (http://www.charlesdalydefense.com/firearms.asp)

Just my .02

B

GLOCKMASTER
06-22-08, 20:14
i just ordered a bushmaster but i may sell it instead. i don't know if i'd be happy with it. would a smith be a better choice? or should i just keep my bushy? i'd be using it just for fun casual shooting.

I have had some issues with the several BM's I have tested and evaluated for my department. I have also tested each phase of the S&W rifles without any issues. So based on my experience the S&W is a better built rifle and I would prefer to have a S&W over the BM.

Oscar 319
06-22-08, 21:21
Smith & Wesson.......

flyboy1788
06-22-08, 22:40
i went the smith route and havent looked back. They just seemed better put together than the bushys ive looked at/shot. Mine runs like a top

Scapegoat
06-22-08, 23:02
It is not on your list, but in that price range I would really recomend you look at a Charles Daly LE carbine...

LINK (http://www.charlesdalydefense.com/firearms.asp)

Just my .02

B

I'd second the D-M4LE, just bought one and the fit and finish is excellent, and yes everything is properly staked. My only complaint is the stock has a slight wobble but I'll be putting a Magpul CTR stock on tomorrow.

KintlaLake
06-23-08, 05:25
Personally, I'm glad I chose the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 over a Bushmaster.

Were I making the same choice today, I'd follow Buck (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=180875&postcount=3)'s advice and look hard at the Charles Daly LE (http://www.charlesdalydefense.com/firearms.asp).

trubilt1
06-23-08, 16:02
Why did SW use Mossberg barrels. That kind of scares me. I found out today that one of my SW ar's has a Mossberg brl. I wish it didn't.

AMMOTECH
06-23-08, 16:19

Why ask after you buy an item? Should have reserched the subject more before you put that kind of cash on the table.

Keep the BM... lube it, shoot it, inspect & replace worn parts. Use new G.I. mags and good brand name ammo. Enjoy your new carbine.

outdoorsmen
06-23-08, 17:20
Why ask after you buy an item? Should have reserched the subject more before you put that kind of cash on the table.

Keep the BM... lube it, shoot it, inspect & replace worn parts. Use new G.I. mags and good brand name ammo. Enjoy your new carbine.

I'm asking cause i bought/ordered the gun dirt cheap, I could sell it and make money that would pay for the S&W.

AMMOTECH
06-23-08, 18:08
I'm asking cause i bought/ordered the gun dirt cheap, I could sell it and make money that would pay for the S&W.

Well then never pass up a good deal. If you can make money and then upgrade do what you need to do.

30russkie
06-23-08, 18:42
there isn't anything wrong with a BM that a little tweek here and there won't fix.

i would say just tune the thing up a bit and you should be good to go.

if you hadn't all ready bought it i would say give the charles daly a look--hell i am considering one--or an upper at least--:cool:

Larry Vickers
06-23-08, 20:28
Based on what I have seen if I had to buy one of those TODAY I would skip both and buy a Charles Daly M4 - the one I just got looks very good and without even shooting it yet I would take it over either of the other 2 brands you mention - at this point in time

Time will tell but as I have said elsewhere on M4C they (CD Defense) are off to a good start

FYI; Mossberg has had US Military M4 barrels contracts before - I am not aware of any real issues with them

cheers

LAV

cessnapilot
06-23-08, 21:03
I have had some issues with the several BM's I have tested and evaluated for my department. I have also tested each phase of the S&W rifles without any issues. So based on my experience the S&W is a better built rifle and I would prefer to have a S&W over the BM.

Doesn't sound like you tried to fire Wolf ammunition out of any of those S&W rifles you tested , Wolf Ammo jams my S&W up , just about every round , with any magazine I use . That being said , it seems to shoot everything else fine , and the accuracy is very good , two inch groups from a rest at 75 yards with an Eotech without even trying hard .

xdfan
06-23-08, 21:47
I got an M&P 15X about two months ago and I am nothing but pleased. Yet, I have had (and still do) a BM for about three years and it still spits rounds downrange with the proper care. So, even though I think that the Smith is a better rifle, if you've got it, shoot it, especially if it is your first AR.

SingleStacker45
06-23-08, 22:00
I'm currently strugling with a Sig 556 for accuracy and I'm considering trading for the M&P and now the Daly Rifle is in the mix. I currently shooting the Sig at 1.25 MOA at best and more like 2MOA consistantly. Can I expect to see some improvement from either of these rifles or is it just the shooter.

Thanks

Mule

flyboy1788
06-23-08, 22:21
Doesn't sound like you tried to fire Wolf ammunition out of any of those S&W rifles you tested , Wolf Ammo jams my S&W up , just about every round , with any magazine I use . That being said , it seems to shoot everything else fine , and the accuracy is very good , two inch groups from a rest at 75 yards with an Eotech without even trying hard .

I think shooting wolf is hit or miss between models. there have been people with all makes and models that have trouble with wolf. That being said, my m&p15A eats wolf like thats its job.:D

Ridgerunner665
06-23-08, 23:07
I'm currently strugling with a Sig 556 for accuracy and I'm considering trading for the M&P and now the Daly Rifle is in the mix. I currently shooting the Sig at 1.25 MOA at best and more like 2MOA consistantly. Can I expect to see some improvement from either of these rifles or is it just the shooter.

Thanks

Mule

Mossburg barreled M&P 15 standard model Serial # 63xxx (at least I think it a Mossburg...mine is sorta in the time frame of the transition)...nuttin wrong with mine.

10 shots...200 yards...reloads...not factory ammo
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/121_2176.jpg

M1A2_Tanker
06-23-08, 23:16
Personally, I'm glad I chose the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 over a Bushmaster.

Were I making the same choice today, I'd follow Buck (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=180875&postcount=3)'s advice and look hard at the Charles Daly LE (http://www.charlesdalydefense.com/firearms.asp).

+1 for the whole post.
I did have gas block problems with my 15T, Since fixed, runs great. But i think the Charles Daly LE is the better buy. And honestly now that i have have the Troy rail, I'm thinking of trading it out for a JP modular forend.

Ron S.
06-24-08, 00:07
Mossburg barreled M&P 15 standard model Serial # 63xxx (at least I think it a Mossburg...mine is sorta in the time frame of the transition)...nuttin wrong with mine.

10 shots...200 yards...reloads...not factory ammo
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/121_2176.jpg

For a 16" at 200 yds., that's incredibly good.

Ridgerunner665
06-24-08, 00:19
Yep...it surprised the hell out of me too....

Quality ammo helps...I believe lots of AR 15's are more accurate than we think...but we never figure it out when we're shooting all that Wolf, LC, WWB, etc., etc.

I don't reload mass quantity...I have been a precision shooter for "a while" (not professionally...just a hobby of mine)...I load my AR ammo the same way as I do my 308, 300 Win Mag, 243 Win....1 at a time and weigh and measure every round.

Thermodyn
06-24-08, 01:52
Based on what I have seen if I had to buy one of those TODAY I would skip both and buy a Charles Daly M4 - the one I just got looks very good and without even shooting it yet I would take it over either of the other 2 brands you mention - at this point in time

Time will tell but as I have said elsewhere on M4C they (CD Defense) are off to a good start

FYI; Mossberg has had US Military M4 barrels contracts before - I am not aware of any real issues with them

cheers

LAV

Shoot man, go out and get yourself a CD!:D

Ridgerunner665
06-24-08, 02:55
I sorta wish I had gotten a CD myself...

Don't get me wrong, my S&W is awesome, and I ain't trading or selling for any amount of $$$ (any reasonable amount anyway).

CD didn't release the news about their AR's until about 4 days after I bought my S&W...I was going to get a CD anyway, it never hurts to have 2...right???

Then I found THIS (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_xcr_compact_tactical.asp) (in 223)...it will be in my collection in about 3 weeks.

Fringe
06-24-08, 09:16

Don't get me wrong, my S&W is awesome, and I ain't trading or selling for any amount of $$$ (any reasonable amount anyway).

CD didn't release the news about their AR's until about 4 days after I bought my S&W...I was going to get a CD anyway, it never hurts to have 2...right???

Then I found THIS (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_xcr_compact_tactical.asp) (in 223)...it will be in my collection in about 3 weeks.

That IS a sweet rifle. I would like one to.
And by the way, damn good shooting! What optics were you using? Rest?

Ridgerunner665
06-24-08, 12:46
I was using a Leupold 3-9x40 (vx II...nuttin fancy) and had the gun rested across the seat of my Polaris (4 wheeler).

I think I posted the wrong pic though....I have too many and they ain't labeled ...(IIRC...I shot the group in that pic with irons)

At any rate...my AR will do just under 2 inches at 200 yards with quality ammo that it likes.

pmarcusm
06-24-08, 16:16
I work for a dealer at gun shows and he sells both BM and SW and the finish work on the Smith is much better. The external finish on the Bushy is less than desirable, so my thought is that if they don't finish the exterior well that you can actually see, then what makes you think they care about the insides. Check the front of the magwell on both and see which one has a visible seam and which one has a clean finish with no seam.
Just my observations of rifles in hand.

GLOCKMASTER
06-25-08, 00:21

I wouldn't do that to a test rifle nor any of my personal rifles. Also I have no desire to shoot Wolf because it will not be used by us as duty ammo.

Charles Daly
06-25-08, 01:17

RR, are you still planning on getting the CD now that you're getting the Rem bolt action?

Ridgerunner665
06-25-08, 01:21
Yes...but I will have to wait a while...

A recent job change has cut into my funds...the price of diesel drove me out of truck driving...and there are no 40 hour week jobs that pay what truck driving did.

I'm still trying to figure out how to tell my wife I'm getting the Remington...:confused:

I guess I could have gotten one of your DV-24's...now that I think about it, I just might do that...decisions, decisions..

Ridgerunner665
06-25-08, 03:09
On that DV-24...

Is that a 5.56 NATO chamber...or is it a Wylde chamber?

Charles Daly
06-25-08, 10:48
On that DV-24...

Is that a 5.56 NATO chamber...or is it a Wylde chamber?

5.56 NATO

Ridgerunner665
06-25-08, 11:07
Hmmmm...

Has it been tested for accuracy yet...if so, how'd it do?

rubiconjp
06-25-08, 11:08

from what I have read on sigforum.com, 2MOA is pretty much what it is for these Sig rifles.

IRONFINS
06-26-08, 22:14
Does the S&W still have problems with the furniture? I believe it was the first Guns and Ammo review that loved the rifle up until the M4 stock cracked. I looked at one at Gander Mt. and thought the finish was a little more glossy than most ARs. Felt like every other DPMS and Olympic Arms........Just a few thoughts............:rolleyes:

flyboy1788
06-26-08, 23:48
Does the S&W still have problems with the furniture? I believe it was the first Guns and Ammo review that loved the rifle up until the M4 stock cracked. I looked at one at Gander Mt. and thought the finish was a little more glossy than most ARs. Felt like every other DPMS and Olympic Arms........Just a few thoughts............:rolleyes:

I have never heard of this happening. The stock is just like any other stock...its plastic;) anyways if you pick up an expensive m4 style airsoft im sure it will feel the same. ALL m4gerys will FEEL the same. kind of an unusual statement/observation IMO. The fit and finish will vary and the quality of the interior components will vary greatly between the different AR manufacturers. All ARs are not created equal. Here is the Guns and ammo article. it says nothing of the sort.http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/m15_021506/index2.html perhaps you retrieved this info somwhere else.

graysoncountytexas
06-27-08, 13:31
OK, one more saying the same thing...

I have a BM - lots of fun. But it is not properly staked. It is a full size model hbar. Like I said, lots of fun. ( I might fix the stakin thing at some point)

I have saved for another BM, or S&W - and then- that CD came out. I am really leaning towards that! I hope to order it just as soon as I can bear to see the $ slip out of my fingers. :D