PDA

View Full Version : New LMT questions

MAUSER202
06-22-08, 21:33
Hi I am a newbe to this form and to the AR platform. I just purchased a new LMT rifle at a gunshow. I whent looking for a Colt or LMT. I got the defender 2000.
My questions are; 1 Did I get a good deal (1150.00 out the door w/ case and 2 30rd Pmags)?
2 Do I need to get a H buffer? How do I tell if it allready has one?( The chart says LMT dosnt come with one).
3 This rifle came with a US GI manual, is this the correct manual or does LMT have there own?
4 How can I tell if the hand gaurds double shielded?
5 What is a sopmod butt stock?
Thanks for any help.

R.D.
06-22-08, 22:09
1. i dont know but doesnt sound bad.
2. No but it helps if your carbine will run reliably with it. I still run a carbine buffer in my LMT and dont feel bad.
3. The small camo cover USGI manual I have is a good basic manual. I dont know if that is the one you have.Id reccomend reading the stickies here concerning lube etc.
4. pull off your handguards and look inside of them. If you have a double heat shield there will be 2 heat shieldson each side(4 total) if you hace CAR handguard there will be only one per side (2 total).
5. the SOPMOD stock has battery storage in the cheekweld area of the stock. It is my favorite stock as far as feel goes.

Heres a pic of my SOPMOD stock.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd221/R_D_/P1060355.jpg

MAUSER202
06-23-08, 14:59
R D, Thanks for the response and the photo( nice looking rifle) I have the same but stock. I looked at the hang gaurds and it looks like two layers of aluminum with plastic in betwwen, maybe 1/8" thick.

theJanitor
06-23-08, 15:34
i would say you got a good deal. two-stage or standard trigger?

R.D.
06-23-08, 15:40
No problem I try to help where I can and stay in my lane. I am unclear on your discription of your handguards. Personally I wouldnt worry about the heatshields as the carbine I have without FF rail handguards I changed a double heat shield M4 handguards for CAR single heatshields because I like the feel better. It has caused me no problems in the moderately heavy use it has seen.YMMV and there is definatly a lot of people here who can help you better in regards to heatshields and handguards better than I can :) .

Thanks for the compliment on the rifle.

MAUSER202
06-23-08, 16:45
i would say you got a good deal. two-stage or standard trigger?

I am noob to AR's, I think it is a standard trigger it is lite and crisp with no creep. It feels like it will be nice to shoot.

Master_of_Sparks
06-23-08, 19:26
Hi I am a newbe to this form and to the AR platform. I just purchased a new LMT rifle at a gunshow. I whent looking for a Colt or LMT. I got the defender 2000.
My questions are; 1 Did I get a good deal (1150.00 out the door w/ case and 2 30rd Pmags)?
2 Do I need to get a H buffer? How do I tell if it allready has one?( The chart says LMT dosnt come with one).
3 This rifle came with a US GI manual, is this the correct manual or does LMT have there own?
4 How can I tell if the hand gaurds double shielded?
5 What is a sopmod butt stock?
Thanks for any help.

1. If its new, its a decent deal. Lots of gun show dealers sell the upper and lower as a complete factory rifle. Factory rifles come in a box with a package of manual, sling, 1 USGI 30 mag, separate SOPMOD stock sheet (if equipped).

2. Nope. I have 2 factory LMTs with carbine buffers. LMT could have used any buffer they wanted. They chose the carbine. They probably know more about guns than I do. Mine have run flawless. If it ain't broke and there is nothing to be gained, why change it?

3. Factory assembled LMTs come with an LMT manual.

4. LMT doesn't use double shields. Remove the hand guards and look inside. There will probably be a single metal heat reflector in each side, if they are the ones LMT uses. If it was put together by the dealer, no telling what he used until you look.

5. If you have a Crane SOPMOD, you would probably know it. Looks like a butt stock wearing a cheek saddle. If it looks like the standard M4, thats what it is.

7. Congrats on your LMT. I traded one of my Colts off to get my second LMT.

fred
06-23-08, 19:37
I'm not getting rid of my Colt, but when the time comes, I'll buy another LMT. From Grant. The LMT carbines are the best deal out there, IMO.

MAUSER202
06-23-08, 20:50
M of S,
It may be a dealer put together, but upper and lower apear brand new/never fired. It did come with a sling,case and 2 pmags. If it is a dealer put together is that a bad thing?
I looked at pics it does have the sopmod stock, and I looked closer at the hand gaurds they are single wall. Both upper and lower had LMT check sheats attached but only the lower was checked off. I wont be able to get to a range for at least six weeks to try it out, the range I shoot at is closed for repairs.

JB2000
06-24-08, 11:36
I recently purchased an LMT upper and lower half. If yours is all LMT then I would say you got a great deal. Especially if you got a rear sight in the deal.

When LMT sells an upper they do not include a rear sight, handguards, charging handle, bolt, or carrier. The dealer can add anyone's parts to complete the rifle. I would suggest you check your bolt and carrier. If the carrier key is properly staked and the bolt is marked "MP" then you should be fine.

If not, then make sure your key is staked so it will not come loose, buy a spare MP'd bolt and a bolt upgrade kit from a reputable dealer and shoot the crap out of your rifle. Either way, it's always good to have the spare parts.

Let us know how it shoots.

MAUSER202
06-24-08, 15:30
JB2000, I didnt get a rear site other than the one in the carry handle.
I can see that the key is staked very well, but I only see an f on the both face. Do I need to remove it from the carrier to see the MP marking ?

Master_of_Sparks
06-24-08, 16:08
Mauser, you need to pull the bolt carrier out and remove the bolt from the carrier (refer to the manual or google up tutorials on how to do this, very simple), then look on the bolt for a small AA stamp on one side and MP on the other.
The carry handle is your rear sight. Very likely its probably an LMT handle, which is definitely G2G. Separate tags on the upper and lower with the lower tag checked is normal.

The only real question I have is; why did it have 2 PMags and a USGI manual? Those are the only red flags I really see about the deal so far. LMTs that Ive seen factory assembled come with 1 USGI (Okay) and an LMT printed manual with the company info on it. Don't be to quick to sweat it yet. The dealer may have just sold you an upper and lower that are both all LMT (still OK), or it might actually be a factory matched (better even).
Worse case scenario is that it was just an upper and lower with an after market BCG, CH and A3 (even that can still can be straightened out). Honestly, I can't see adding a SOPMOD and then screwing you on the other stuff, but I don't trust many gun show sellers very much.

When all else fails, call LMT and give them your serial number. They can tell you exactly how that gun was sold to the dealer.

MAUSER202
06-24-08, 16:18
M of S thanks,
I just emailed LMT with serial # to ask about it. I was just a little concerned that the dealer lied when I asked if the rifle came complete from LMT.

I will check the bolt later tonight,

Master_of_Sparks
06-24-08, 16:30
Good deal.

C4IGrant
06-24-08, 17:08
M of S,
It may be a dealer put together, but upper and lower apear brand new/never fired. It did come with a sling,case and 2 pmags. If it is a dealer put together is that a bad thing?
I looked at pics it does have the sopmod stock, and I looked closer at the hand gaurds they are single wall. Both upper and lower had LMT check sheats attached but only the lower was checked off. I wont be able to get to a range for at least six weeks to try it out, the range I shoot at is closed for repairs.

If you did not get a manual, black sling and a USGI Alum. Mag, this is a dealer put together weapon (not a factory built weapon.

This can be bad (depending on the dealer). Some dealers shaft the customer by putting a NON-LMT BCG in the weapon. They also cut corners on the HG's, stock, Charging handle, etc.

Also, LMT uppers DO NOT come from the factory with HG's installed. So the dealer most likely bought cheap HG's and put them on.

C4

tkoglman
06-24-08, 20:01
I've built three LMT uppered M4's so far. One was a 10.3" the other two were 14.5". None would run with anything over a carbine buffer. Now I admit that was shooting WWB ammo. The 10.3" carbine actually needed a reduced power action spring to function with WWB.

I think if you plan on running them with full power 5.56 ammo, maybe a heavier buffer would work, but with any cheaper practice ammo, stick with the carbine buffer.

I believe that LMT makes their barrels with smaller than spec gas ports. This may be an attempt to increase service life by allowing the user to progressively upgrade to heavy buffers as the gas port erodes. It may also be to allow the Mk18 to function with a suppressor. I don't know for sure.

C4IGrant
06-25-08, 09:02
I've built three LMT uppered M4's so far. One was a 10.3" the other two were 14.5". None would run with anything over a carbine buffer. Now I admit that was shooting WWB ammo. The 10.3" carbine actually needed a reduced power action spring to function with WWB.

I think if you plan on running them with full power 5.56 ammo, maybe a heavier buffer would work, but with any cheaper practice ammo, stick with the carbine buffer.

I believe that LMT makes their barrels with smaller than spec gas ports. This may be an attempt to increase service life by allowing the user to progressively upgrade to heavy buffers as the gas port erodes. It may also be to allow the Mk18 to function with a suppressor. I don't know for sure.

LMT does use smaller than standard gas ports on their 10.5's. They make the assumption that the weapon will always be shot with mil-spec ammo and most likely run with a can on it.

C4

MAUSER202
06-25-08, 14:53
I heard from LMT today, and its not a LMT complete rifle. I also talked with the dealer and his story changed he now says he got it as a trade from another dealer. He said as long as it wasnt fired I could send it back for a refund.

I will ship it UPS but since I paid cash I dont know if I should trust he will send me a check or if I should send it C.O.D. Does anyone have any avice on the C.O.D. shipment? I dont want to piss the guy off and not have him accept it.

I still would like to get an LMT, any avice on dealers or should I just order direct and have the lower shipped to my local dealer?

Thanks again everyone for your help and answers.

C4IGrant
06-25-08, 15:00
I heard from LMT today, and its not a LMT complete rifle. I also talked with the dealer and his story changed he now says he got it as a trade from another dealer. He said as long as it wasnt fired I could send it back for a refund.

I will ship it UPS but since I paid cash I dont know if I should trust he will send me a check or if I should send it C.O.D. Does anyone have any avice on the C.O.D. shipment? I dont want to piss the guy off and not have him accept it.

I still would like to get an LMT, any avice on dealers or should I just order direct and have the lower shipped to my local dealer?

Thanks again everyone for your help and answers.

Shocking! ;) Dealers pull this stuff all the time.

COD is fine. If you do not trust him, require that he pay with a money order instead of a personal check.

We have LMT complete weapons in stock that ARE built by LMT. ;)

C4

MAUSER202
07-21-08, 20:42
Good news! The dealer( Highland arms) is a stand up guy. He said he got took on a dealer trade with this rifle, so he gave me a full promt refund and even covered my return shipping.
In the mean time I ordered a complete LMT rifle from Grant at G&R and it came in today. The bolt, carrier, and charging handle are diferent than the rifle I returned. On the returned weapon these parts were not LMT.
Thanks guys for the straight talk pointing a noob in the right direction. My local range is still closed for repairs, so it will be a few weeks before I can shoot it.

Maus

watchluvr4ever
07-22-08, 13:13
Congrats on your new LMT! :)