PDA

View Full Version : To be or not to be. FAL vs new AR

sportyr1200
06-22-08, 22:28
I posted here a while back about what rifle to get....well I know what I am going to buy, a Noveske N4 Reece light basic. There is a condition to purchase though...I have an older Colt SP-1 with a CMORE site and another colt AR (old also) that my father has given to me and can fix up if I so choose. I also own a DSA FAL that is stock and a 21' bbl.

My question is, if you were me would you sell the FAL to buy the Noveske. Fix up the FAL with a 16' bbl and optic as well as purchase some more ammo. Or leave both alone and buy parts for the SP-1 and more ammo and continue to pick up more training and range time.

I know this is ridiculous but the future of purchasing AR's is scarring me.

By the way...the general info and commentary is far higher here than on other AR forums. Great job!

Thanks!

Hellfire
06-22-08, 22:30
My motto is never sell a firearm, just buy more.

eb2007
06-22-08, 22:49
My motto is never sell a firearm, just buy more.

I agree I would do whatever I could to keep the FAL and build the AR when I could.

TOrrock
06-22-08, 22:54
Keep the Right Arm of the Free World.

panthercitycop
06-22-08, 23:17
Bigger is better. Keep the FAL at all costs.

bratch
06-22-08, 23:25
I'm going to be a little different.

You need to decide what you want and why you want it. I've undergone a wholesell switch in my rifles over the past 6 months. I've sold off my G3s and AKs and bought Garands and ARs. Reasoning was I couldn't stand the charging handle on the G3s and just grew to prefer the versatility of the AR over the AK. I am happy with all of my sells because they were rationalized and not just chasing the gun of the month.

Questions I'd ask myself:

Why do you want the Noveske? What does it offer that your Colts don't?

Why do you want a 16" barrel on the FAL?

If it was me I'd keep the FAL as is and figure out what I wanted/needed in an AR and the best way to get there.

mark5pt56
06-23-08, 05:57
Keep the SP1 stock, keep the Fal stock. If you want a "tactical" rifle, it sounds as if you want alot of goodies on one. Go with the 16" FAL with AR features.

Take a look at the full stock 18" DSA though.

Mark

Jay Cunningham
06-23-08, 06:33
I don't subscribe to the "never sell a gun" thing, but that's just me.

Consider your own wants and needs, and go from there. As far as what I "need" I consider it to be two carbines (primary and spare), two semi auto pistols (primary and spare) and a .38 snubby for a BUG.

Everything else is basically range fun for me.

My suggestion:

keep the FAL, and keep it stock
sell one of the Colts
keep the other Colt stock
buy the Noveske and make it your go-to gun

sportyr1200
06-23-08, 07:24

Consider your own wants and needs, and go from there. As far as what I "need" I consider it to be two carbines (primary and spare), two semi auto pistols (primary and spare) and a .38 snubby for a BUG.

My suggestion:

sell one of the Colts

Good call. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Part of the reason I was looking at getting the noveske was for IDPA/Home Protection. Right now I use the FAL for IDPA and that is why I wanted the shorter barrel since clearing mock houses with the FAL is like using a broom stick! BUT those steel gongs start swinging at 200yds with it :D Maybe I can find a way to part with one of the AR's and pick up a modern variation for general use.

Thanks again.

BC520
06-23-08, 13:26
I am a firm believer of having a hard hitter, so I would keep the FAL. I am torn between having the extra velocity of the 21 vs the maneuverability if the 16 though.

N4LtRecce
06-23-08, 13:46

My suggestion:

sell one of the Colts

What he said.

Cameron
06-23-08, 14:00
I am a firm believer of having a hard hitter, so I would keep the FAL. I am torn between having the extra velocity of the 21 vs the maneuverability if the 16 though.
There is very little lost in velocity between a 21" and 16" FAL only about 30fps/inch.
That means a 16" FAL will keep 150gr FMJ supersonic past 800yards...

MH64
06-23-08, 21:36
Have both an 18" para FAL and a 21" full stock FAL. Both are very sweet shooters. I prefer the para for the shorter barrel and folding stock. A properly built 16" FAL would be a great gun that will still do very well on gongs at 200yds.

So I'd say have the FAL rebuilt into a smaller gun and go from there.

BC520
06-23-08, 22:24
What capability would it have on man-sized targets out to 600 yards?